Legend of the Seeker # 8: Denna

Orius

Legend
Richard is captured by a Mord'Sith named Denna, who can manipulate any form of magic directed at her.

Thhis week's episode. We're back to fresh episodes.

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
So, they took about half of one of the books (the second one?) and distilled it down to just one episode. Nice. (Note, that's not really a complaint.)

I have to admit, I recognized the women right away. Couldn't remember what they were called, but that was pretty much exactly the way I imagined them from reading the book. Didn't have to hear a word of dialog or even see the stick-things. I just knew the instant I saw her.

Not very surprised that they took away the collars. Not only was that a little too dominatrix but the collars made them a real obvious ripoff of the Wheel of Time's sul'dam (though the sul'dam weren't dominatrix-like in the slightest).

You know, I'm beginning to realize the benefits of watching a TV show based on a book series I only moderately liked. I get to critique the show and compare it to the book without getting really defensive of the ideas and plot of the book. I like to note the differences mentally as I watch and wonder why the writers decided to change it like that, instead of griping about how they mangled it.

D.Shaffer

First Post
I admit to being curious to see how they portrayed them, but not enough to want to watch the show.

Any good sites with pics?

Merkuri

Explorer
I've read the first book (it was okay I guess), but I have never watched the show. Is it worth watching?

I think so. It's a little corny at times, but since the format of a TV show is so different from the format of a series of novels there are bound to be plenty of differences, so even if you didn't like the books you might like the show. It's made by the same people who did Hercules and Xena. I've heard somebody describe it as a cross between Hercules and the movie 300 (they do fight scenes very similar to 300 where they speed up and slow down the camera to accent the action).

It's not the most entertaining show on TV, but it's by far the best thing on at that time, and I think that it's certainly worth watching. My boyfriend and I DVR it every week. We often save up two episodes and watch them in the same sitting like a movie.

I couldn't find any pics of the episode, but if you can find the first 5 or 10 seconds of the show somewhere you'll get a good picture. She's literally the first thing you see in the episode, I believe.

Pyrex

First Post
The ep was suprisingly good, I'm happy to see them moving along (approximately) with the plot of the books. With any luck they're aiming for approximately a book per season.

Nitpick: I always thought Agiel's were smaller. Less like a nightstick and more like a riding crop...

Merkuri

Explorer
The ep was suprisingly good, I'm happy to see them moving along (approximately) with the plot of the books. With any luck they're aiming for approximately a book per season.

Er, I'm fairly certain that the mord sith didn't appear until the second or third book, so if that formula is right they shouldn't have apeared in the first season.

Nitpick: I always thought Agiel's were smaller. Less like a nightstick and more like a riding crop...

While they were fairly similar looking to what I imagined I suppose making them shaped more like a riding crop would have avoided some... "mature" jokes my boyfrend and I made about their size and shape.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Er, I'm fairly certain that the mord sith didn't appear until the second or third book, so if that formula is right they shouldn't have apeared in the first season.

No, they appeared in the first book. His partitioning of his mind [or w/e it's called] in the first book to protect his mind from being broken by the mord sith is the reason the Sisters from that Temple in the south started looking for him [which is the main plot of the second book]. Now, the majority of the mord'sith [those who followed him obediently and whatnot] didn't appear until later on [I THINK third book, but I forget], but that ONE did appear in the first book.

I'm actually surprised they took out the whole savage people part of the series. I mean, they keep going back there over and over again in the series I just can't believe they'd leave them out, unless they have something special with them in mind later on.

But I do agree with the comment that it is easier to watch a show and point out [critique] the differences without being really upset about them when you only found the books to be so-so [well, imo, the first was pretty good, and they slowly went downhill after that]. My response to some things is like 'woah, they did it like THAT?' instead of 'oh noes, they're killing my beloved story'.

Remove ads