[Trailer] GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
We'll see. It's hard to get a good sense of how the movie will be overall based on this trailer. I'm not expecting much, but I haven't given up all hope, yet.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
The first trailer:

1.) The first (hot) female on screen can of course be seen as a play on male 'sensitivities', but it really IS Baroness, very recognizable.
2.) People seem to miss the shot of the large fleet of underwater vessels, very Cobra like (one of the things I really like about is Cobras uniforms and vehicles).
3.) The shot with Baroness in the background (in correct uniform as far as I can tell) and Destro in the foreground. While the only real clue you have that it's Destro is Baroness her presence and the Scottish accent. I hope he will done the iconic Destro mask later in the movie.
4.) The Eiffel Tower shot is very dramatic (no explosion but some sort of green acid) and very Cobra like (a big and flashy demonstration of what they can do).
5.) General Hawk looks a bit more 'filled' then I would expect from the comics, but most impressive "Make the call.".
6.) The Joe uniforms might not be as 'colorful' as in the initial comics or toy line, but are generally believable and appropriate. Snake Eyes has his proper uniform of course ;-) keep in mind that this film isn't only direct at the fans of the 80s toy/cartoon/toy line, it's also directed at the general public. While the public would probably accept the bad guys in 'strange' uniforms, I don't think that they would accept folks running around in a 40's naval uniform, or folks in a flight suit (with parachute) while operating on the ground...
7.) Snake Eyes did some extreme stuff in the cartoons and the comics (not to mention what you did with him as a toy ;-) So I don't have a problem with the moves he makes in the movies, I do mind that the CGI that allows for those moves is so obvious. I hope they spend some more time on it to make it look a bit more natural.

Complaints about the UN (feel) of GI Joe is a bit off imho, GI Joe was always a more international organization, just check the personnel files of the joes. Personally not a big issue (and I doubt that it'll play a really big role in the movie), especially when you keep the current environment in mind.

I'm really excited about this movie and I might actually be tempted to watch this in the cinema (last movies I saw in the cinema where the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movies).

Ranger REG

Explorer
Oh, don't worry, my expectations aren't too high on this.

Star Trek on the other hand...I'm struggling to keep expectations low, but I think they are still going to be too high.
Yeah, I don't think Chris Pine is going to master the Shat's overdramatized dialogue and swagger. :p

The late James Belushi came close, though ... girth and all.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I'm really excited about this movie and I might actually be tempted to watch this in the cinema (last movies I saw in the cinema where the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movies).
Yeahhh. I wouldn't put this GI JOE on the same pedestal as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. It's nowhere near the same pedestal as the first Fantastic Four film.

I also think your remark is way off-base about the colorful JOE uniforms. Of course, we wouldn't expect them to be using '40-style unis, but at least give each character some kind of visible identity. Right now their identity is confused with those of Agents' of SHIELD, or a military version of IMF (i.e., Mission: Impossible).

Goodsport

Explorer
Complaints about the UN (feel) of GI Joe is a bit off imho, GI Joe was always a more international organization, just check the personnel files of the joes.

Actually, no.

Although the G.I. Joe team (official designation: Special Counter-terrorist Group Delta) did recruit some of its personnel from other branches of the U.S. military and (particularly later in the comic book's run) occasionally "borrowed" from other countries' militaries, it has always been a unit of the U.S. Army.

-G

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Actually, no.

Although the G.I. Joe team (official designation: Special Counter-terrorist Group Delta) did recruit some of its personnel from other branches of the U.S. military and (particularly later in the comic book's run) occasionally "borrowed" from other countries' militaries, it has always been a unit of the U.S. Army.

-G

Indeed. International personnel were typically very rare, since security clearances would make it rather hard to have non-citizens in a unit that was as classified as the Joe team*; the two I recall were Big Ben, a SAS representative, and an Oktober Guard representative whose name I can't recall (they, being the Soviet equivalent of the Joe team, were themselves occasional opposition/allies for the Joes), and both of those were from fairly late in the toy line's release. Storm Shadow, aka Tommy Arashikage, was from Fresno, CA; he was actually in the same LRRP squad as Snake-Eyes and Stalker in Vietnam.

COBRA was more international, with Major Bludd (Australian?), the Baroness (some form of Central/Eastern European nobility, sort of Red Army Faction type), Zartan (unknown, presumed European), and Destro (Scottish) all being non-American, and many of the Drednoks were Australian or British. *Technically* Serpentor might count as being an American, having been decanted in Springfield, but that would be a matter for some debate, and it's not like he's a recognized citizen. The only major COBRA villains I recall being American were Dr. Mindbender and, ironically, Cobra Commander.

Now, there was Action Force, which was a rebranded G.I. Joe that was published in England and Europe. That may be what Cergorach is thinking of.

Brad

* - At least, that'd be my justification if I were Larry Hama and coming up with backgrounds for characters. It's relatively common for British and Americans to be loaned to the other's military for cross-training, and it's sort of possible to justify a Soviet exchange member based on the character appearing about the time of glasnost and perestroika (and the relative popularity of the Oktober Guard).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases