[Trailer] GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I know nothing about GI Joe (well, it's apparently a toy line), but Ecclestone alone makes me consider watching it...

Wikipedia is your friend. :)

One interesting note I read in a Toyfare article a while back is that the G.I. Joe team was originally a pitch Larry Hama had for a series set in the Marvel universe, with a more realistic SHIELD team (i.e. no jumpsuits and lasers). Hasbro came in looking for ideas, and, well, G.I. Joe was the result.

Hrm, after seeing that...I really don't like the suits. And Storm Shadow looks incredibly dorky. Baroness looks sufficiently Baroness-like, though. I hope that Ecclestone gets to don a beryllium-steel battle mask, too.

Though, I expect that people in the theater will ask me to stop grinding my teeth when I watch it. I have...low...expectations.

Brad

Ranger REG

Explorer
True. The uniforms don't make me happy.

I'm hoping that at some point in the movie, Destro puts on his mask. And we already know that Cobra Commander is in the movie although I'm not sure if the actor they chose can pull it off.

I'm also glad that the movie makers ditched the whole UN team and went back to G.I. Joe being an American-based team with members from various backgrounds.
Maybe they should rename the movie, Rainbow Six.

Oh, wait a minute. That's another franchise. :p

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Yo Joe!

I am totally torn on this movie. I think it will suck, but only because I am naturally a pessimist.

It certainly has the hallmarks of suckitude. Marlon Wayans, Stephen Sommers directing, a really campy cartoon from the '80s as a premise, over the top Baytastic CGI. The trailer is so choppy I get a bad feeling by it.

But...
Gordon Levitt Hewitt as Cobra Commander. If you have seen Brick or The Lookout, this kid has chops. Or if they go with the spastic incompetent from the cartoon, he can fall back on his Third Rock from the Sun days.

Really fantastic casting of the villains all around. Eccleston!, Sienna Miller as Baroness, Arnold Vosloo as Zartan. Good actors, most are comfortable in a villainous role.

Ray Park as Snake Eyes. What was the only good part of The Phantom Menace? Darth Maul. Plus Snakes is mute, so pantomime only. Good for Parks.

So, I am torn. I think there is no way to duplicate the cartoony Village People look of the original (well 2nd incarnation) cartoon/comic book look, but the generic swat team look is blah. CGI Snakes Eyes hopping from spinning exploding car to spinning car is not a good sign. The large cast is overly ambitious. A smaller Joe team would make a better movie.

In Marlon Wayans defense he was very good in Requiem for a Dream but this is cancelled out by the first D&D movie.

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
He'll be playing Tunnel Rat, right? Because that's the only annoying character in the JOE team.

Tunnel Rat annoying? I always kind of liked him. Not that he got much use during the Marvel run that I recall (only a couple of appearances that I remember). Interestingly enough, that particular character was modeled after Larry Hama himself.

I always liked Outback. One of my favorite characters.

As Knightfall posted, though, Marlon Wayans is playing Ripcord. Who was one of my favorite characters up until he got shuffled offstage shortly after the invasion of Cobra Island storyline (which was too bad- given his ties to Zartan and the Drednoks via the killing of his girlfriend Candy, I'd have liked to see Hama keep him in the picture a bit longer. But I think the pressures of including more toys in the comic, plus the Ninja-Craze that came on late in the title's run pushed Ripcord offstage.)

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Really fantastic casting of the villains all around. Eccleston!, Sienna Miller as Baroness, Arnold Vosloo as Zartan. Good actors, most are comfortable in a villainous role.

I can't wait to see pics of Vosloo as Zartan. Talk about great casting. Plus, Eccleston should be a really cool Destro.

As long as they shoot for more of the comics series feel (early comics, like pre-issue 80s or so, preferably pre-issue 50), as opposed to the cartoon, I think it could be great. Again, I'm excited that they pulled in Hama to consult on it; I think that was a great move, but we'll see. I'm pleasantly optimistic.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Mmmm, starts with cleavage...not a bad thing but that is to get you into the trailer to see if there is more.

Characters look like cyborgs / black-suit Spiderman(s), lots of CGI. Again nothing bad here.

This could be interesting and even good but will wait and see how it is looking as it gets closer.

Remove ads