[Trailer] GI Joe: Rise of Cobra

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Yeahhh. I wouldn't put this GI JOE on the same pedestal as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. It's nowhere near the same pedestal as the first Fantastic Four film.

I also think your remark is way off-base about the colorful JOE uniforms. Of course, we wouldn't expect them to be using '40-style unis, but at least give each character some kind of visible identity. Right now their identity is confused with those of Agents' of SHIELD, or a military version of IMF (i.e., Mission: Impossible).
While it 'might' not have the same quality as SW or LotR, GI Joe reminds me more of my childhood then either SW or LotR. While I was also a small Transformer fan as a child, but the trailers for the movie didn't stir as much interest as this GI Joe film.

Have you seen the first ten episodes of the GI Joe comic? There's a lot of green in there. Actually only Scarlet and snake eyes aren't in a uniform/camo (heck, most are even wearing green in the arctic). And Flash has some sort of red flak jacket, not going to be very convincing (target painted on his chest, shoot here).

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Actually, no.

Although the G.I. Joe team (official designation: Special Counter-terrorist Group Delta) did recruit some of its personnel from other branches of the U.S. military and (particularly later in the comic book's run) occasionally "borrowed" from other countries' militaries, it has always been a unit of the U.S. Army.

-G
Your right, after looking it up on the web, your right. In my defense, I mostly grew up with the dutch translations of the dutch toys/comics. I'm also not sure if I'm not remembering Action Force as GI Joe or if someone translated the stuff a bit creatively. Only in my late teens did I find the American comics, and at the time getting older ones was extremely expensive (no buying on the internet).

To be honest, my main interests lay with Cobra, their characters seemed more interesting (and they had the cooler stuff ;-)

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Have you seen the first ten episodes of the GI Joe comic? There's a lot of green in there. Actually only Scarlet and snake eyes aren't in a uniform/camo (heck, most are even wearing green in the arctic). And Flash has some sort of red flak jacket, not going to be very convincing (target painted on his chest, shoot here).

Yep. Lots of green. Not a whole lot of black. That was more of a Cobra thing.

Except for Snake Eyes, who not only stole Cobra's look, but also dared to give himself a confusing snake-themed name to go along with it. He was the exception to the rule.

That's why the all-black Joe squad is jarring.

DS

Felon

First Post
To be honest, my main interests lay with Cobra, their characters seemed more interesting (and they had the cooler stuff ;-)
Yeah, the villains generally got much more exotic and unique appearances, looking much like comic book villains, complete with masks and bizarre color schemes. OTOH, most of the Joes just wore paramilitary gear.

After watching that Youtube cast clip though, where they liken the movie's version of the Joes to a Mission-Impossible task force, we probably aren't getting much in the way of uniforms anyway.

Ranger REG

Explorer
While it 'might' not have the same quality as SW or LotR, GI Joe reminds me more of my childhood then either SW or LotR. While I was also a small Transformer fan as a child, but the trailers for the movie didn't stir as much interest as this GI Joe film.
Meh. I was a child of the 80's too, having watched the G1 series alongside Transformers. The film trailer didn't stir me that much. :erm:

Remove ads