Wall of Fire and Movement

Slander

Explorer
If a creature moves along the primary AoE for a Wall of Fire (i.e. the 2d6+Level portion of the effect), should damage rolled for each square of movement, or just the first square?

For the situation, imagine a 5-foot wide hallway with a Wall of Fire effect cast along its length. I'm hung up on how to interpret "the wall deals ... damage to any creature passing through it". Thanks

Vegepygmy

First Post
This has been pretty endlessly debated around here. In my opinion, you don't necessarily have to cross the wall's plane if the wall runs parallel to the walls of the hallway (but straight down the middle); you can squeeze to one side or the other. So you don't necessarily take any damage.

Others disagree, and say you'll take damage for each square you move. Others disagree, and say you'll take damage only once.

The bottom line is: the DM has to make an ad hoc ruling, and (hopefully) stick to it.

Slander

Explorer
Ah, alrighty. I didn't realize that was one of the hot topics round here (yea yea, bad, horribly overused pun). Anyway, thanks for that. I'll go ahead and come up with my ruling then.

Remove ads