Scene Sound v1.8.1208 Release

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
This looks interesting. Does the program contain basic sound files itself or does one have to find those separately. I mean stuff like you mentioned about the CoC game, car horns, typewriters, gunshots etc?

400lbGorilla

Explorer
That's pretty cool. I need that for jungle sounds...

You might want to check out the soundtrack I converted for John Wick's "Curse of the Yellow Sign Act 1" module.

He published the original soundtrack as one big mp3 which is a great touch, but not ideal because everything happens on a set schedule. I made it more dynamic by randomizing the camp sound effects and putting the weird, disturbing noise on a hotkey. I want that to happen on purpose, not just because it's been five minutes since the last time.

400lbGorilla

Explorer
This looks interesting. Does the program contain basic sound files itself or does one have to find those separately. I mean stuff like you mentioned about the CoC game, car horns, typewriters, gunshots etc?

The software doesn't come with any sounds in its install, but you're not on your own.

The Scene Sound website has a small sounds library you can browse. For online sources, you should check out Free-Loops.com, FreeSound.org, and my personal favorite SoundDogs.com. I've yet to need a sound that I couldn't find at one of those places.

If you use Scene Sound's build-in browser, you can drag a sound file directly to your library to download it to the right folder and rename it at the same time. I wouldn't want to use it for regular browsing, but when you're shopping for a bunch of new sounds it really does make things easier.

Good luck, and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Blackrat

Ok, sounds good. I assume it uses mp3 files? I'll DL it today when I get home and give it a run. Sounds like just the thing I need for my VtM game. I'll let you know my opinions later on.

400lbGorilla

Explorer
I assume it uses mp3 files?

It supports mp3, wav, midi, ogg, pls, m3u out of the box; and has support for aac, mp4, alac, ape, flac, wma with plugins.

I use mp3 for most of my sounds, except when I have an effect that I plan on looping. Since mp3 files have a few bytes of silence at the beginning of every file, you can hear the gap when they loop. So I convert those to .wav files, but other formats work too.

Blackrat

Ok, so far I like this a lot. Haven't had a chance to use it at game yet but I've kept myself amused learning to use it. I did hit one problem though. I dragged a few files to the random area but it only plays the first file on the list at random intervals. I can't get it to play the others any way.

400lbGorilla

Explorer
Ok, so far I like this a lot. Haven't had a chance to use it at game yet but I've kept myself amused learning to use it. I did hit one problem though. I dragged a few files to the random area but it only plays the first file on the list at random intervals. I can't get it to play the others any way.

An error in the random sound selection was causing the last sound to never be selected. If you only had two sounds in the random section, then only the first would ever play.

This bug has been fixed in the latest version which should be ready in a few days. This new version also includes a new scripting editor, improved random sound selection, and several other bug fixes.

Blackrat

Ah, I suppose when I finally tested it, I only did have 2 files in the queu. Thanks, now I know what the problem was.

400lbGorilla

Explorer
Ah, I suppose when I finally tested it, I only did have 2 files in the queu. Thanks, now I know what the problem was.

Build 1224 is now available for download which should fix this problem in addition to adding more features and a new script editor. Let me know how that works for you.

Remove ads