[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
GM: So... it turns out that Ghourra still needs an approval. Well, so do a couple of the rest of you, but the difference is that I can give everyone but Ghourra their second approval. I can't approve Ghourra twice, but any of you (besides Son of Meepo, obviously) can give her a second approval. Anyone want to help out? It shouldn't be too hard. All of her attacks use the same numbers, and I didn't notice any errors when I looked over her sheet. Once Ghourra is approved, and I've finished going over the rest of you, I can post the rewards and such.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Exploring the grounds yields some fairly impressive finds: two more suits of armor, as well as a fair amount of coins and gems. After distributing the wealth as best you can, you head back to where Darjiin impatiently waits.

The trip back to Sharn is blessedly uneventful. Garfuss must have been watching for your return, for he intercepts you soon after you dock.

"Ah, good, you're back!" he greets you with a wide grin, "Hopefully you didn't have too much trouble finding my friend, and, more to the point, the money he owed me." He looks you over, particularly those wearing new armor. "Well, at the very least, it looks like it was worth your while. Perhaps I'll see you around." Garfuss takes his money, gives you all a shallow bow and strides off into the streets.

[sblock=Rewards]Material gains:
Deimos: 1000 gp (N parcel) and then 200 more gold
Ghourra: Dwarven Finemail +2 (N+3 parcel) and 168 gold
Brondin: Dwarven Finemail +2 (N+3 parcel) and 168 gold
Tana: Siberys Shard of the Mage and 160 gold (N parcel), and then 168 more gold.
Bellegon: Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +2 (N+3 parcel) and 360 gold

The above is the total of everything found on the adventure, not just what you found at the beginning of this post.

Immaterial gains (XP):
Encounter 1: 350 + 4x250 = 1350
Encounter 2: 375 (skill challenge) + 3x(175 + 3x50) = 1350
Encounter 3: 125 (skill challenge) + 2x(175 + 3x50) + 2x250 = 1275
Encounter 4: 375 (skill challenge) + 8x50 + 2x175 + 2x200 + 2x175 = 1875
Destroying the Shard: 250
Returning Garfuss's money: 250
Total: 6350 xp
XP per player: 2540 xp

Reward Points:
Six full (close enough) months yields each of you 6 reward points.
Two full months of DMing gets me 4 reward points.

I'll get a judge in here to make it all official like.[/sblock]

[sblock=Thoughts]So, this is the second time I've run this adventure, and the first group I had handled the skill challenges pretty much the same way you guys did: one guy did all the checks while the rest quickly took down the zombies. I like the concept behind this adventure and the skill challenge while fighting, but I feel the above strategy sort of trivializes the fight. At the same time, I don't want to just outright disallow it with some draconian rule like making a different person make a check each round. Do you guys have any thoughts as to how to make it more engaging? Or is there actually no such issue, and it's just a matter of perspective?[/sblock]

So, this is the second time I've run this adventure, and the first group I had handled the skill challenges pretty much the same way you guys did: one guy did all the checks while the rest quickly took down the zombies. I like the concept behind this adventure and the skill challenge while fighting, but I feel the above strategy sort of trivializes the fight. At the same time, I don't want to just outright disallow it with some draconian rule like making a different person make a check each round. Do you guys have any thoughts as to how to make it more engaging? Or is there actually no such issue, and it's just a matter of perspective?

I would suggest adding new group of zombies (or crystal ghosts or whatever) every round (or at the very least every second round) even when dawn comes and the ritual commences regardless of success or failure of the rolls. That will give the players a choice between defending the ritualist (not so many aids) or trying to put up with the attacks while two or more focus on the ritual to finish it faster.

Put major skills as opposed rolls vs some high defense (like arcana of the creator of the crystal) with damage as punishment for failure.

Require Arcana and Religion alternating rolls (say, one to weaken the crystal and second to supress necrotic energy released. That way even if you have arcanist and a priest with high rolls, more people will roll.

EDIT: thinking some more:
make zombie minions dash directly for the crystal not attacking the players except by bullrushing them to move them away from the path (like rugby teams do). Make the minion a) take the crystal b) remove one success or c) advance to zombie soldier or some kind of wraith or something

Thanks for taking over!

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Exploring the grounds yields some fairly impressive finds: two more suits of armor, as well as a fair amount of coins and gems. After distributing the wealth as best you can, you head back to where Darjiin impatiently waits.

The trip back to Sharn is blessedly uneventful. Garfuss must have been watching for your return, for he intercepts you soon after you dock.

"Ah, good, you're back!" he greets you with a wide grin, "Hopefully you didn't have too much trouble finding my friend, and, more to the point, the money he owed me." He looks you over, particularly those wearing new armor. "Well, at the very least, it looks like it was worth your while. Perhaps I'll see you around." Garfuss takes his money, gives you all a shallow bow and strides off into the streets.

[sblock=Rewards]Material gains:
Deimos: 1000 gp (N parcel) and then 200 more gold
Ghourra: Dwarven Finemail +2 (N+3 parcel) and 168 gold
Brondin: Dwarven Finemail +2 (N+3 parcel) and 168 gold
Tana: Siberys Shard of the Mage and 160 gold (N parcel), and then 168 more gold.
Bellegon: Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +2 (N+3 parcel) and 360 gold

The above is the total of everything found on the adventure, not just what you found at the beginning of this post.

Immaterial gains (XP):
Encounter 1: 350 + 4x250 = 1350
Encounter 2: 375 (skill challenge) + 3x(175 + 3x50) = 1350
Encounter 3: 125 (skill challenge) + 2x(175 + 3x50) + 2x250 = 1275
Encounter 4: 375 (skill challenge) + 8x50 + 2x175 + 2x200 + 2x175 = 1875
Destroying the Shard: 250
Returning Garfuss's money: 250
Total: 6350 xp
XP per player: 2540 xp

Reward Points:
Six full (close enough) months yields each of you 6 reward points.
Two full months of DMing gets me 4 reward points.

I'll get a judge in here to make it all official like.[/sblock]

[sblock=Thoughts]So, this is the second time I've run this adventure, and the first group I had handled the skill challenges pretty much the same way you guys did: one guy did all the checks while the rest quickly took down the zombies. I like the concept behind this adventure and the skill challenge while fighting, but I feel the above strategy sort of trivializes the fight. At the same time, I don't want to just outright disallow it with some draconian rule like making a different person make a check each round. Do you guys have any thoughts as to how to make it more engaging? Or is there actually no such issue, and it's just a matter of perspective?[/sblock]
Yarp. I mean Approved.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases