Just starting CCGs

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Mmm... Magic...

I've been playing for 8 years... had a little gap a couple of years ago, for around 6 months... but I came back to it...

It's the smell! The wonderful, wonderful, wonderful smell of a freshly-opened pack of cards! Nothing is better than that smell!

There's a reason it's called "cardboard crack"... :D

WayneLigon

Adventurer
johnsemlak said:
Can someone confirm this bit of trivia--Magic was first marketed as a game for D&D players to play during breaks at gaming conventions?

As far as the trivia goes, I don't know. It might have originally been planned as that, but my observance has been that there is little to no crossover between the two. I think that the WOTC survey confirmed this, but I'm not sure since it was some time ago.

Eternalknight

First Post
MerricB is right... I don't think it was ever marketed as such, but it was designed to be played at conventions where someone was looking for a moments deviation.

Wolfspirit

First Post
I used to be a MtG addict, until they started just releasing poorly done supplements because they KNEW everyone would have to buy 4 boxes at least 3 times a year to stay competitive (even in friendly play... we'd allways hate one guy that kept getting the best killer deck each expansion ;))

If you're looking for other CCGs, try, Middle Earth the Wizards. It was such a cool game, a lot more strategy and all that... too bad it went out of print when ICE bottomed out.

maddman75

First Post
My name is maddman, and I'm a Magic Addict.

One trap not to get yourself into -- do NOT go thinking that these cards will be worth anything in the long term. Unless you have some alphas or betas, they devalue after they go out of Type 2 tournament play - roughly every year.

I'd play a booster draft or sealed deck, but I'd likely give the cards away at the end. Or rip a Rare in half when I lose, just to make the addict across from me twitch.

Its fun. Too fun. Too expensive. Getting into paintball was cheaper than trying to be a serious magic player.

Dungannon

First Post
I started playing M:tG back in September, 1993, just a few months after its initial release. At the time, I lived in the Seattle area so the cards were a little easier to get (every game store wanted to carry the product of a local company). It was a nice little diversion for our gaming group, until the neighborhood game store started hosting playing sessions on the weekends. When the number of people to play against went up, so did the spending, so we could "stay competitive" and counter the "killer decks".

Within a year, we were buying cards by the box instead of the pack, and playing for ante became non-existant as no one wanted to lose their new high-power card. Then came tournaments, sanctioned and non-sanctioned. And the Magic Leagues. If finally gave it up in the spring of '97 after competing in the Northwest Regionals of the World Championships. After seeing how seriously people were taking this game, especially young kids, I just decided enough was enough and put my Magic cards away.

And as for recouping your expenses by selling your good cards, good luck. I tried to do that a couple of years ago, selling my old (alpha, beta, unlimited) rares on EBay and was lucky to get half of their listed book value.

Remove ads