How to use pregenerated material for own inspiration?

plancktum

First Post
@plancktum
Ah, not being able to draw the red line. Yeah, in fiction writing there is an idea called "Kill Your Babies". I forget who first came up with it, by the idea is to be suspicious of your first impulse, examine what you've written objectively later, and apply a mean editing hand.

One of the really nice ways for controlling that tendency is using the "Fronts" from Dungeon World. Uh, there's a Dungeon World SRD for free on the net that describes what a "Front" is in more detail, but the gist is a discrete conflict/threat that the players will face. For a given adventure you probably only want 1 or 2 Fronts, and for a campaign 3-5 is about right. A good technique to self-edit is to say: Ok, I have # this many Fronts in my campaign and here's what they are... Any idea I come up with that doesn't fit into one of these fronts (or is clearly related to a PC or logically draws from last game session) gets the red pen. Cut it out.
Nice. This solves one of my problems. Now I need inspiration for plotlines, write them down and then review them.

If you're looking for recommendations of good adventures, I recommend any of the stuff by Open Design (Wolfgang Baur): http://www.wolfgangbaur.com/projects/ These tend to be really evocative adventure settings with plenty of hooks so you can bring the PCs in at various points of entry.
I'm not sure, but can you buy them?

As for "seat of your pants" DMing, which sounds like your strength, if you're playing 4e(which it sounds like you are), I've got a 4e DM Cheat Sheet designed just for that over here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?307923-4e-DM-Cheat-Sheet
I've played 4e a while ago, now I'm playing 13th Age.

pemerton

Legend
I use quite a lot of pre-generated material in my game: for maps, for antagonists (both story ideas and stats), for encounter design, etc. I very rarely use the "plots" as published, though, because they tend to be very railroad.

This post explains how I adjusted some aspects of H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth for my game.

These posts explain some of the ways I adapted B10 Night's Dark Terror for my game. I also mixed in aspects of the module Speaker in Dreams (combining the cities from two modules - whatever it is called in Speaker in Dreams, and Threshold from B10 - into one location with features of both - the Baron from SiD and the Patriarch in B10 - thereby creating a political rivalry that the players could get pick up on and do stuff with).

These three posts give some indication of how I adapted P2 Demon Queen's Enclave, including incorporating elements from other modules.

As a final example, this post explains how I adapted bits of E1 Death's Reach to run a scenario set in Mal Arundak (described in The Plane Below).

If I had to generalise: cut cruft; combine encounters to make them more dramatic; and focus on (and build up) those elements that will actually speak to your players via their PCs.

Remove ads