When to allow players to change out characters

Elf Witch

First Post
I am curious about how other DMs handle allowing players to change out characters?

In the game I am playing in the DM decided to switch mid game from 3E DnD to Hero system. While I support the switch I did not like how the conversion changed my character. I want to make another character and retire this one. The DM said no. Right now we are at an impasse because I won't play this character so I guess if he does not change his mind I am not playing.

When I DM I work with my players to try and fix their characters before changing if that is possible if not I let them switch. Yes it can be a pain especially if you are a heavy role playing group but I would rather have a happy player than an unhappy one who I know will suicide his character first chance he gets.

Now I would be unhappy with a revolving door of characters and might at that point say no.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As soon as they're not having fun with the current one. D&D isn't supposed to be torture. It's a game.

DMs changing system mid-game? I've never come across that before. That would annoy me a lot.

Elf Witch

First Post
As soon as they're not having fun with the current one. D&D isn't supposed to be torture. It's a game.

DMs changing system mid-game? I've never come across that before. That would annoy me a lot.

That is how I look at it.

Normally it would annoy me a lot especially if we were higher level than second, we have only been playing since January and we play every other week. In this case I was already annoyed because the DM who is a great story teller had no clue of really running a 3E game. He made decisions like allowing the fighter to have a rage ability that let his strength go up to a 40 twice a day. This was his first time running a 3E game and he had so many house rules like using hexes instead of squares, adding facing back into the game.

He knows the Hero system much better it is his system of choice so I think the game will in the end be less frustrating and more fun. Unless of course I don't play because of this character issue.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
D&D isn't supposed to be torture.

+1. But tell that to someone who just ran out of daily powers and healing surges.

I've been ruined by GMing; I can have fun playing just about any character. But it definitely helps if the GM isn't undermining my efforts. Which is to say, if my GM told me that I couldn't alter my character in order to keep enjoying the game, I'd start looking for another game.

But that's not your case, Elf Witch. You've asked the GM to retire your character, not make fun-alterations. Well, characters are important to story. Some might say that there IS NO story without characters. So asking to retire your character could put a serious crimp in your DM's plans. If that's the case, the DM's best option is to run your character as an NPC, or let you make the changes you want to keep your character around.

The other possibility is that you're a problem player, and this is the 18th character alteration that you've tried to make. B-) Which is about the only excuse for your DM's inflexibility.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You've asked the GM to retire your character, not make fun-alterations. Well, characters are important to story. Some might say that there IS NO story without characters. So asking to retire your character could put a serious crimp in your DM's plans.

See, I can't get on board with this. The DM who puts a fictional character ahead of a real human player has social issues that aren't going to get solved on an internet messageboard. The DM's plans mean nothing; they're just a tool to provide enjoyment for the players. I assume - hope - that such DMs don't exist.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am curious about how other DMs handle allowing players to change out characters?

I allow change pretty much when the player wants it. It doesn't come up often enough for me to need more of a rule than that.

For the sake of previous work done to incorporate the old character in the storyline, I'd generally have a discussion about what problems they're having, to see if they can be fixed with the same character. But, ultimately, the game is there to be fun for the players, and within the given rules, the character is the player's, and the player gets to say if the character sticks around or not.

Greg K

Legend
I have no problem when the character reaches the goal set for them or something happens in game to change the character's direction and leads them to stop adventuring.

If a player wants to change, because he or she is not having fun with the character we will talk about it. Based upon the conversation, we will see if a change to the existing character will suffice. If not, I will, most likely, allow it if they are willing to still abide by all of the house and campaign setting rules*). If the player just can't stay with a character and needs to switch every few levels, there is an issue with the player or a playstyle incompatibility and the player will be removed.

*If the player is the type that wants to switch to Wizard, because he or she only likes to play wizards after a certain level, but not lower levels, the answer will be no.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If the player is the type that wants to switch to Wizard, because he or she only likes to play wizards after a certain level, but not lower levels, the answer will be no.

I'm curious. Why? Does a fellow gamer have to earn their fun?

Elf Witch

First Post
I can get behind using the character as an NPC I have done that as a DM and have had it done to a PC. I think that we are a perfect place to bring in a new character. We are in London. My character has locked horns with one of the party over how she views how the party is just blundering around in a political situation without knowing any of the players. And I just found out that I am hunted because I am second in line to the throne of Egypt a country controlled by evil necromancers and blood mages. I could well see her using her resources in London to disappear.

And that is part of the problem my character is the only one who knows London has contacts and understands the risky situation in the queen court. Of course in the new system I don't have any skills any longer to back that up.:.-( I really enjoyed my character but I find it unplayable in the new system.

As a DM I have worked with players to rebuild a character that they like but is not working mechanically.

I would have an issue with a player who insisted on changing a lot I too would wonder if it is an incompatible issue.

I don't think the DM is a jerk. I just don't think he sees my issue. First he never plays mages and second he can't see everything I lost when we converted. I multiclassed dread necromancer with wizard so I could have a familiar and I liked the versatility of wizards knowing a lot of different spells. He does not understand that being able to cast four spells as often as I want does not make up for the loss of my familiar, the skills and all the variety of spells I lost. The flavor of my character has been destroyed and story consistency right along with it.

I am not being a brat over this. I just want to play a character I enjoy and not one that was made for one system then completely changed to fit in another system.

Greg K

Legend
I'm curious. Why? Does a fellow gamer have to earn their fun?

It is not about the player earning his fun. The player in this instance is basing their decision upon a form of power gaming and, while power gaming is a valid playstyle at some tables, it is inappropriate in my gaming circles. It is not why we play are playing so we don't cater to it. We are upfront about this type of behavior and playstyles with new players so the player would have agreed to play upon our terms.

Remove ads