When to allow players to change out characters

DrunkonDuty

he/him
As a GM I can get bit annoyed by players changing their characters mid - game. Ya see, I write adventures to suit characters. So when a player drops their character for some reason it may mean I've wasted a lot of work. And it does sound like your GM has prepared an adventure with your character in the middle of it. In all honesty in your GM's shoes I'd want you to keep on with the same character, at least for the duration of this plot line.

Of course in your case the GM has changed game system mid-game. With all the concomitant problems that brings with it; to whit your character not coming in the way you'd like it to. This is pretty big.

Here's what I'd do. Ask your GM if the plot hinges on your current character. If no, then there's no reason for you to have to keep it. If yes you might want to suggest some compromise like play it until the plot has evolved enough for your character to no longer be essential. Maybe even have your character die at some suitably dramatic moment thereby spurring on the survivors in a quest for revenge. Also, have a good suggestion as to how to work in your new character ahead of time. Give the GM something they can work with. Who is this swashbuckler? Where have they sprung from? Why are they looking to join up with the rest of the party?

anyway, that's my suggestion

Mloren

Villager
I prefer that players not change characters but at the same time the purpose of the game is to be fun.
If someone's not having fun then the GM should be addressing whatever the issue is. In your case, I would look at why the current character isn't fun and whether it can be altered to make it fun and then only swap to a new character if the old was unfixable.

Jhaelen

First Post
As soon as they're not having fun with the current one.
Pretty much this. Trying to force a player to continue playing a character they no longer care about is a sure recipe for disaster. I learned that lesson a long, long time ago.

Like most problems in rpg groups the easiest and best solution is to talk it through: Why is your DM opposed to your creating a new pc? Try to find a solution together.

Janx

Hero
Pretty much this. Trying to force a player to continue playing a character they no longer care about is a sure recipe for disaster. I learned that lesson a long, long time ago.

Like most problems in rpg groups the easiest and best solution is to talk it through: Why is your DM opposed to your creating a new pc? Try to find a solution together.

there is that, but the flip side is players who want to keep flipping characters because they want something better. they are gaming the char gen system and in-game circumstances to bypass working with what they started with.

Part of D&D to me is resource management and working with what you have on hand. Especially at low levels. If I declare that's what my early game is about, I do not want a player who tries to bypass that. Having experienced that kind of player, there is a reason for my hard-nosed policy.

Elf Witch

First Post
It is not about the player earning his fun. The player in this instance is basing their decision upon a form of power gaming and, while power gaming is a valid playstyle at some tables, it is inappropriate in my gaming circles. It is not why we play are playing so we don't cater to it. We are upfront about this type of behavior and playstyles with new players so the player would have agreed to play upon our terms.

Are you talking about a player in your game or me?

Elf Witch

First Post
As a GM I can get bit annoyed by players changing their characters mid - game. Ya see, I write adventures to suit characters. So when a player drops their character for some reason it may mean I've wasted a lot of work. And it does sound like your GM has prepared an adventure with your character in the middle of it. In all honesty in your GM's shoes I'd want you to keep on with the same character, at least for the duration of this plot line.

Of course in your case the GM has changed game system mid-game. With all the concomitant problems that brings with it; to whit your character not coming in the way you'd like it to. This is pretty big.

Here's what I'd do. Ask your GM if the plot hinges on your current character. If no, then there's no reason for you to have to keep it. If yes you might want to suggest some compromise like play it until the plot has evolved enough for your character to no longer be essential. Maybe even have your character die at some suitably dramatic moment thereby spurring on the survivors in a quest for revenge. Also, have a good suggestion as to how to work in your new character ahead of time. Give the GM something they can work with. Who is this swashbuckler? Where have they sprung from? Why are they looking to join up with the rest of the party?

anyway, that's my suggestion

Another player is playing my brother and the heir to the throne so the whole issue with hunters from Egypt after the party is still very valid.

I thought to make my swashbuckler a spy for the English Queen which would fit in very well and give her the knowledge skills my other character lost when we converted the characters. The party is on the way to meet the Queen and tell her what is going on with the fey realm merging with our realm.

As a DM myself I know it is important to bring in a character that fits with the party and in the story.

Yora

Legend
This is something odd that would never have occured to me.

I don't see what the GM wants to accomplish, characters don't tend to survive very long if the player has no interest in his survival.

Janx

Hero
Are you talking about a player in your game or me?

good question, it was not clear from my read of his context either.

In your case (Elf Witch), it was the GM who basically changed your character by virtue of changing game systems. Certainly an exceptional case, and it has symptoms of GM Mistakes going on in the 3x era of the campaign.

Personally, I'd advise caution for you. You've given warning signs the GM isn't that good. You're at a good spot to bow out gracefully.

Elf Witch

First Post

He is opposed because he feels I am not giving the character a chance in the new system. And because it will have a slight impact on the game it always does when a character leaves. We had a player take a break because of personal issues and we are bringing in a new player so there will be a lot of disruption as it is and I think he feels this just adds to it.

There really is no solution I have spent the last week and half working with him and another friend who knows the Hero system to try and make my character basically the same and we have not been able to do it. Story wise this drives me crazy. Suddenly the familiar that has scouted and spied for us no longer exists. The spells I have used in major combats are gone. I used to be the one with knowledge of nobility and royalty, and knowledge London that is gone and another player now has it. He also wanted us all to have a profession mine was alchemist which is also gone.

The only thing that is the same is my ability to summon undead, drain and mage hand. Now these spells are much more powerful than the DnD versions. But all the flavor and things besides spells is gone.

The other players did fair bad at all. The druid only lost one spell that was used once in game and that was create water. The fighter lost nothing and actually is much better off in the Hero system he gained a lot like a bunch of skills and weapon and defense that he didn't have.

I will say one thing about the hero system no class is stronger than another.

Remove ads