D&D 5E grabbed the PHB at lunch - art is really great

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I love the picture of the two bards deciphering the script on a stone. It makes me want to know more about what's going on in that game.

Lalato

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407553892.929656.jpg
This is how one properly reads a new PHB on the train after a week of work.

Kaylos

First Post
Got mine today at a local WPN store. The artwork is pretty amazing I must say. And I think I will grab a beer as well to read into the night. Cheers.

Zardnaar

Legend
Got my copy at lunch today, too!
But I extended my lunch at the Brazen Fox and gave the book a good flip-through. :)

The layout and the look of the book is fantastic. Love the intro by Mearls, too.

My favorite artwork, however, are the Conditon sketches. Those are hilarious!

There's also a great pic of a wizard looking at a mushroom while researching in a book and there's something like a baby beholder in a jar next to him ... weird!

Really like the departure from the anime style art of Pathinder and the way women are presented, too. Less eye candy, and more badass!

Almost anything would be an improvement over Pathfinder art or at least WAR art.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Most of the art is great.

Some of the art is unappealing to me.

None of the art is bad.

I especially like the party on 44, 142, and 180. It's nice to have that continuity, and I like how subtle it is (in contrast to the "iconics" in 3e/Pathfinder).

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
The Halflings are disappointing

That's an understatement.

Jon Schindehette said:
So rather than try to explain why the haflings won't look like the concept art in the published game, I figured I'd illustrate what's going on.
The intent was never to pick this guy up and use it exactly like that. They would have looked weird and funny in context with other realistically rendered characters, right?

I sure am glad you didn't try to explain, Jon, or your face might /really/ be red. :mad:

Li Shenron

Legend
All the comments make me very happy :) For me the artwork is a huge source of gaming inspiration so it's heartwarming to know it is getting great care in 5e books!

It's a bit weird that they went forward with the new Halfling concept tho... IIRC it caused quite a lot of controversy when it was first previewed a year or two ago. They said they were just trying out concepts, not setting anything in stone at that time, so I would have thought that they noticed all the criticism and went for another solution. Big heads and tiny legs make them look more like Gnomes to me. Although the Gnomes do look like even better Gnomes.

Li Shenron

Legend
That's an understatement.

I sure am glad you didn't try to explain, Jon, or your face might /really/ be red. :mad:

Actually now I feel like maybe one reason why he left the company is that some high-up decided to use these Halflings against Jon's (good) judgement.

Remove ads