Spells and Magic / Faith and Avatars Priest Classes

Bera

Explorer
Does anyone have some actual play experience with the Crusader, Monk, Shaman classes from Spells and Magic or the same classes plus Mystic from Faith and Avatars?

The monk class at lower levels seemed reasonable to me (using Combat & Tactics martial arts): better melee attacking than a normal Cleric but the defense was an issue and spell access is restricted compared to the Cleric. I'm not sure how it might shake out at higher levels.

Bera

Explorer
FWIW, I've been able to glean from other sites that people think the crusader might be overpowered on paper, but might be fine in actual play. Just having a warrior THAC0 doesn't mean the crusader gets bonus attacks, specialization, etc. The Monk and Shaman are specialized but likewise maybe not actually overpowered, though certainly a little different. There's the added bonus that including these classes allows you to use all those Tome of Magic spheres (Thought, Time, Travellers, etc.) that the normal cleric and druid can't access. The Shaman class was actually re-printed in The North as well, meaning someone really liked that class.

These classes probably didn't seem much use though because a lot of folk had a negative reaction to all the Player's Option books, either weren't appropriate in all campaign settings (think Dark Sun) or were redundant with campaign-specific deities, and the Complete Priest's handbook did a lot of the work of having distinct priest classes and did it well before these classes came out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases