D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
The fact of the Matter is it takes a plane what 14 hours to go from LA to Sydney? THe fact that we have to get it transported by Ship is ridiculous. I should be able to buy one in Perth by December 15th at the latest.

Phaezen

First Post
The fact of the Matter is it takes a plane what 14 hours to go from LA to Sydney? THe fact that we have to get it transported by Ship is ridiculous. I should be able to buy one in Perth by December 15th at the latest.

Comes down to shipping costs, books are relatively heavy and airfreight would easily add 20 to 30% more to the cost

Chocolategravy

First Post

What is ridiculous is that you have to buy a dead tree and can't just get a far superior electronic copy.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Comes down to shipping costs, books are relatively heavy and airfreight would easily add 20 to 30% more to the cost

More, Much more. Try adding 150% to 200% to the shipping costs to do it by air rather than ship. We run into this often at my company, where we have to have something shipped fast by air from China or thereabouts to California instead of going on a ship like normal. Every time I have to do it I cringe because the jump in cost is so painful.

That said if there is someone really desperate to get this early I might be willing to buy them a copy at a local game store here in Los Angeles and ship it to them by DHL air. But they'd have to pay all my costs by paypal in advance. Just PM me.

Quartz

Hero
Speaking of street dates, on Nov 4th I got an email from Amazon saying they were going to send the DMG I'd ordered to arrive on 14th Nov, then got another email on the 16th to say that they weren't and it would arrive on the 15th Dec.

Herschel

Adventurer
1. Nah bro, you're thinking of a completely different 4e! Unless I'm mis-remembering it (which I might be because I'm suuuuuuuper young and never played dnd before), 4e didnt have shield+x, they just had +1 or +2 AC from the shield and a funky ability.

2. Lolz, lots of people wore armor in those games because it was totally choice dude! You could look cool AND you got mucho protection! Of course, I've never played those games so I wouldn't know.

1. Shields gave an AC and Reflex bonus, with proficiency. There' were no generic + shields like there was armor though.

2. Pre-3E, AC improvement was DESCENDING not ascending, so the lower, the better. Adding to your AC was not a bonus. :)

Sitara

Explorer
As if bounded accuracy wasn't staked, beheaded and buried already, they also had to light it on fire and toss it in a sphere of annihilation. 28 AC won't be hard then, which is reasonable against a CR 24 dragon with +17 to hit, but the CR 17 death knight's +11 is nearly worthless and anything lower is pointless in a fight unless it has a non-weapon attack.

I haven't read the entire thread after this and I get the feeling this may have been discussed, but can you please tell me why you think this is so? Not being sarcastic, I an genuinely curious. How is an AC of 28 possible and for what characters?

From what I know, Bounded Accuracy was mainly for monster AC and lower attack roll numbers. This was mostly to ensure insane bonues were kept low simply for ease around the gaming table, so people would spend less time on minutae of the rules and more time on actual playing. The entire system was designed around and including this, so it is not like a level 1 group of pcs can smack around an ancient dragon and win. Thus far the system appears to be working well.

Another thing, if your AC of 28 can only occur with magic armor and magic shields and magic wondrous items and the like, this edition does not have have magic math figured in. Magic items are supposed to be bennies, rewards for something exceptional. If you hand out items like in prior editions, you have only yourself to blame if the game gets unbalanced.

Remove ads