D&D 5E Potions of spells which require concentration

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Yes. There are lot of people more inclined to bring over old d20 rules than actually reading the 5e rules here... ;)

There's no general rule that potions require concentration.

Only if the potion references a spell, and that spell requires concentration, and the potion description doesn't explicitly negate this, do your potion require concentration. :)

I'm sure there is such a potion to be found somewhere in the official published material, but as of right now, most (if not all) official potions do not require concentration.

Which brings us back to why I resurrected this thread: "Potion Miscibility - does the game need it?" :)

I think the more important question is will your group have fun with it. We don't hand out enough potions to have fun with it. If your group hands out enough potions where this could be fun, go for it.

Wik

First Post
For what it's worth, I was aware that a lot of the potions out there don't actually require concentration. I'm just pointing out that the GENERAL rule says that it is required - specific trumps general and all that jazz.

And in my campaign, we have a buttload of potions floating around (cheap treasure!), so potion miscibility is still awesome.

As I said, I agree that the particular point about "normal duration" and concentration being a part of normal duration clashes with the other points I brought up. I feel that is due to that particular point being poorly phrased in the book.

Would anyone care to address the main point that I've made (which no one has, as far as I can tell) that you have to cast a spell to be a "concentrator", and you are explicitly told that you do not cast a spell when benefiting from a potion's effect?

If not, I'm going to assume that either I'm brilliantly insightful and catching something that no one else does, or a complete moron overlooking something unfathomably obvious. Either way, I guess there is nothing more to discuss in that event.

Li Shenron

Legend
Last adventure my character went to zero hp while invisible. 2nd level spell from potion. This raised the question I had not considered - does the imbiber of a potion have to concentrate on the spell if that spell normally requires same?

I haven't encounter the situation yet, but I've already thought I would treat the case differently depending on the spell:

- if the spell is normally meant to target the caster only (who then needs to concentrate) then I'd require the drinker to concentrate

- if the spell can be cast on someone else, then I'd treat the potion as the "caster" and won't require the drinker to concentrate

CapnZapp

Legend
Would anyone care to address the main point that I've made (which no one has, as far as I can tell) that you have to cast a spell to be a "concentrator", and you are explicitly told that you do not cast a spell when benefiting from a potion's effect?
If you drink a potion, you do not have to concentrate.

Unless that potion references a spell. That requires concentration.

Unless the potion says otherwise.

That's really the simplest way I can say it

Nebulous

Legend
Old thread I'm resurrecting! Lol. So we have the (house rule?) that you can chug a potion as a bonus action. I think lots of groups do that. Anyway, it saved a characters life yesterday with a healing potion. But it's such a useful action economy that I know that intelligent enemies need to do it as well.

The party is going up against yuan-ti pretty soon and I want some of them (not all) to carry one to three potions on their persons that can be chugged as a bonus action each round. I'm thinking BLESS, STRENGTH (hill giant), HASTE and HEALING.

This goes back to the old issue of Concentration for Bless, but I'd probably rule no in this case. Someone else in this thread mentioned his house rule that spells with a range of self require concentration on a potion, but spells (like Bless) that are cast on others do not require potion concentration.

Old thread I'm resurrecting! Lol. So we have the (house rule?) that you can chug a potion as a bonus action. I think lots of groups do that. Anyway, it saved a characters life yesterday with a healing potion. But it's such a useful action economy that I know that intelligent enemies need to do it as well.

The party is going up against yuan-ti pretty soon and I want some of them (not all) to carry one to three potions on their persons that can be chugged as a bonus action each round. I'm thinking BLESS, STRENGTH (hill giant), HASTE and HEALING.

This goes back to the old issue of Concentration for Bless, but I'd probably rule no in this case. Someone else in this thread mentioned his house rule that spells with a range of self require concentration on a potion, but spells (like Bless) that are cast on others do not require potion concentration.

The precedent is set with the Potion of Speed:

[SECTION]When you drink this potion, you gain the effect of the haste spell for 1 minute (no concentration required).[/SECTION]

You are on the right track, IMO. I don't think concentration should ever be required with a potion.

Remove ads