D&D 5E Enhancing "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" (Practical stuff to try at your table!)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
After a slow start, our group is well into chapter 4, and we're having an absolute blast with it.

The main overall tip I have so far is to make sure you have lots of Forgotten Realms-appropriate names handy for random NPCs. I've had a few situations where I needed a name in a hurry and had to cannibalize the list of NPCs in the wagon train. Once I got wise, I went to the FR wiki and culled a few names from there. If anyone knows of an FR-specific name generator, I'd love a link.

pukunui

Legend
A couple of notes:

- I've decided to put three of the prisoners from the raiders' camp in area 10b in the dragon hatchery (the 10' deep pit that the kobolds hide in). I've modified it so there's some scaffolding on the west side of the pit that the kobolds can stand on so they can see where to throw their bombs. The prisoners will be down on the floor of the pit. Rezmir ordered that the prisoners be fed to the wyrmlings when they hatch.

- Since one of my PCs has the "Talis was a childhood friend" bond, which I'm finding to be rather a red herring (since she doesn't appear to have ever set foot in Greenest, nor does it seem like she was ever kidnapped by the cult), I'm making it so Talis has a house in Greenest. While it was nominally ransacked during the raid, it should be apparent enough that nobody has lived there for some time. I'm thinking I'll also include some scraps of burned letters in the fireplace with some clues pointing to Baldur's Gate.

- Speaking of Baldur's Gate, I recently got Murder in Baldur's Gate (mainly for the campaign guide). After a quick perusal, I settled on The Blushing Mermaid as a good place for cult agents to meet. I was thinking that if the PCs ask about Talis at the tavern, someone will deny it in such a way as to reveal that she was there (you know, like "I don't know any half-elves by that name." "Who said anything about a half-elf?")

- I also noticed that the Redlocks patriar family secretly finance pirates and smugglers ... so I'm thinking they might be helping the cult smuggle their loot through the city unnoticed. I don't know that the PCs would be able to learn this, since it says it's a secret, but it might at least make the players curious to know why this powerful aristocratic family's name showed up in a letter to Talis.

- I'm wondering, though, if maybe I should also (or instead) point them in the direction of Little Calimshan. With Severin being a Calishite, and Little Calimshan being a den of thieves, it makes sense the cult might have an agent or two there.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Excellent ideas Pukunui, I am running Hoard right now and I own MiBG, seems like a great way of using the material and in particular use Little Calimshan as a setting location.

Zinovia

Explorer
The fact that everyone seems to be sitting back doing nothing, and letting a bunch of low level characters sort it out strikes me as a contrived scenario. Whether that's a module issue, DM issue, or both, I am not privy to.

That's pretty much the case with every FR adventure ever, isn't it? ;)

Precisely. I picture Elminster sitting back drinking tea, scrying all the low level adventuring parties he has sent out to face certain doom and save the Realms from disaster. Like a spider in his web, he watches from afar and laughs at their piteous struggles. :D Not to mention the fact that every other barkeep is a retired 12th level fighter, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of the Harpers. But no, let's leave the saving of the world to this group of noobs. ;)

Which is why, when our group decided we'd give this adventure path a try, we decided to make our own, very early version of Forgotten Realms for use in our rotating DM game. No one in our group is a great scholar of the Forgotten Realms, so we did not pay particular attention to the real history of the Realms. We just set the clock about a thousand or so years earlier to create a dark and dangerous world with islands of civilization (points of light). Using the Book of the Righteous, we created a great Church that is largely responsible for carving out these safe areas and founding the major cities. The trade routes are now expanding, and the merchant class is exerting increasing influence in the world.

The other major change we made to this world is that most people cannot rise above character level 2 in ability. Those who can are called supernals. They have been influenced by the gods, given a small measure of their power, although the supernals are not controlled by them. Supernals are the only people who can be magically resurrected. They are rather like all the Baal-spawn in the Baldur's Gate computer games. They have the potential to develop great power, and to do correspondingly great things. As Olivander says of Voldemort in the Harry Potter books, it could be terrible things, but still great. Many of them become adventurers, and are drawn to other supernals. Most of them wind up in songs and stories, one way or another.

With Photoshop, I amended and modified the map of the Sword Coast. We took a hatchet to all the factions present in the modern Realms, leaving various church factions, and influential merchant families. Neverwinter has been taken over by a supernal wizard who is the most powerful mage in the known world. He is building a school of magic, and fomenting resistance against the iron control of the church. They are very concerned and want to control him, but have no real way to do so. I have replaced the Red Wizards of Thay with his school.

The Cult of the Dragon has gone from a bunch of end-of-the-world crazies into an organized and dangerous force, and no one is really sure why. It has been difficult until recently to get people to take them seriously, but word of their depredations has spread, and the church has taken notice. Our characters took a caravan directly from the city of Whitehart (replacing Scornubel on the map), up to Waterdeep. I expect we'll make it to the city during tomorrow's session. In Waterdeep, we will finally learn that all of us are supernal. We already know where the caravans are taking the treasure because our group captured and charmed Freya (was Frulam) Mondath. I change names of people in these modules fairly often.

In any case, setting the clock back to a dark age where no one can safely travel long distances without risk, and the entire population is much smaller has made it easier to justify the lack of official action against the cultists until later in the story. I am running the main plot, my husband has been running the caravan portion, and my son runs the cities and the church.

Changes I plan to make include removing the vampire from the castle entirely. There's no reason for it, and the encounter is probably a bit too challenging. There are plenty of other things I can add. I am planning on introducing something like the draconian from the Dragonlance books. Made from the eggs of good dragons (many draconians made from each egg), they will add some tougher challengers for the higher level characters. Most humanoid races can't directly contend with the PC's, except for cult leaders, who are themselves supernal. One of the characters has the gold dragon bond, and would therefore be absolutely incensed to find out what they are doing with the eggs of good dragons. Although I suppose it could be *any* dragons. I haven't decided yet.

Clearly removing all the factions that are used in the module has changed it substantially, but we have built our own power groups to replace them. Most of the FR factions are too organized and too Renaissance or later in feel to be used in an early steel-age world. We have also kept magic fairly scarce, which I like the feel of. The power the characters have is intrinsic, and not dependent upon their gear. At nearly 5th level, the party has one magic weapon, a set of elven chain, a magic robe, a bag of holding, and two minor items. It keeps magic rare and special, which works well in 5E.

pukunui

Legend
Excellent ideas Pukunui, I am running Hoard right now and I own MiBG, seems like a great way of using the material and in particular use Little Calimshan as a setting location.
Thanks. Having read through more of the campaign guide, I've also found out that the Guild runs a river smuggling route to bypass the tolls at Wyrm's Crossing and the Basilisk Gate (see "smuggling" on page 46). The cult could easily use the Guild (as well as or instead of the Redlocks) to help them get their cargo through the city undetected.

The dukes/patriars/merchants in the city might very well be aware that there's been raiding going on in the nearby countryside - and they might even be able to find out that it's the Cult of the Dragon doing it, even if the cult isn't advertising that fact - but if they can't stop regular smugglers, why should we assume they'd be able to stop the cult - or even know exactly how/when/where the cult is taking their loot?

pukunui

Legend
In response to a rather horrendous debate about various aspects of HotDQ on the WotC forums, Steve Winter posted this:

The berserkers in episode 3 are an example of monster stats that shifted under our feet. Several times, actually. Just to give some idea of how a development project like this works, I have five different draft versions of the MM in my DQ development files. Episodes 1-3 were written around January/February 2014, as near as I can recall, while the first MM draft was in use. In the original drafts of the Nursery, Cyanwrath's guards weren't berserkers because berserkers at that stage were too weak. I think we used veteran warriors, which had 27 hp according to the stats document in use then. By the time it went to playtesters, everything had new stats and the veterans were changed to berserkers (IIRC), which had about half as many hit points then as they have now. That's still how many they had when the manuscript was sent to the printer. When we ran our final check on encounters, this one was right where we wanted it. It was later that berserkers got bumped up in toughness, as final adjustments were being made in the MM. By then, HotDQ was already printed.

This is not an indictment of Wizards for changing the stats ex post facto. It's just one of the hazards of doing this type of parallel development. Most of the encounters affected by similar changes were caught and fixed at the 12th hour, by the Kobold team or by the Wizards team. The ones that cause the most stir online were mostly the result of late changes in the MM, like the berserker; unfortunate but largely unavoidable casualties of the overlapping schedule.

As far as HotDQ being an "introductory" or "teaching" adventure, that was never our goal. If I or Wolf gave that impression last year at Gencon, I apologize. If there's a video or recording of it somewhere online, I'll be doubly nonplussed. We had several conversations with folks at Wizards on precisely this subject, because it was an important question. The conclusion, that we all agreed with, was that we should assume the typical HotDQ DM would already have some experience behind the screen, if not many years, so explicit hand-holding was unnecessary.

We did, however, structure the adventure so that players new to Fifth Edition would get introduced step-by-step to what the new rules could handle. Episode 1 is all about combat -- sometimes having it, sometimes avoiding it. Episode 2 is mostly sneaking, scouting, and infiltrating, with hardly any fighting. Episode 3 brings in traps and hazards and underground exploration. Episode 4 is heavy on roleplaying. Those lessons could have been taught any number of ways. We did it the way we like.

And yes, parts of the adventure are extremely dangerous, especially to rash adventurers and for players who've gotten cemented into bad habits. I'm not talking about accidental danger like Cyanwrath's berserkers or those darned assassins on the road to Waterdeep, but places where traps were intentionally set to test the players, not their characters. This is another decision reached in concert with Wizards. At its most fundamental, D&D is about presenting players with challenges that they must think their way through. Only sometimes will the answer be "roll for initiative." Other times it will be "talk nicely to the big monster," and occasionally it will be "everyone back up very quietly." Every case requires the players to gather information, assess the situation, and weigh the risks and rewards against their characters' strengths and weaknesses to come up with a viable plan. Sort of like real life. That's the kind of D&D I enjoy, it's easy to manage with 5E, and we were happy to get the go-ahead to take that approach with the RoT adventures.

Steve

cmad1977

Hero
In response to a rather horrendous debate about various aspects of HotDQ on the WotC forums, Steve Winter posted this:

Yeah. I've found the vitriol thrown at this adventure to be so silly. Are their issues? Sure. So what? I read the description of the adventure path,liked the overarching idea, and went with it. Have things been altered/fixed by me? Yeah... But that happens with every adventure I buy.

Finally get to play our next session in a few weeks. Yay!

pukunui

Legend
Yeah. I've found the vitriol thrown at this adventure to be so silly. Are their issues? Sure. So what? I read the description of the adventure path,liked the overarching idea, and went with it. Have things been altered/fixed by me? Yeah... But that happens with every adventure I buy.
My sentiments exactly!

Finally get to play our next session in a few weeks. Yay!
We just played last night. Sadly, I now have to wait a month before we get to play again because two of my players are going overseas for three weeks. But that gives me plenty of time to beef up Episode 4, since I want to add more stuff for the PCs to do in both Elturel and Baldur's Gate.

cmad1977

Hero
My sentiments exactly!

We just played last night. Sadly, I now have to wait a month before we get to play again because two of my players are going overseas for three weeks. But that gives me plenty of time to beef up Episode 4, since I want to add more stuff for the PCs to do in both Elturel and Baldur's Gate.

Do that! My episode 4 ran from really cool to kinda meh. All my own doing really.
Ran a cool festival I saw online in Elturel which was a blast. Some of the NPC's in the book turns out really fun and memorable.
I particularly liked the bartender, the always upbeat porcelain vendor, and the tall silent guy( who I kind of modeled after 'the swede' from Hell on Wheels.) all three of whom turned out to be cult agents.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases