D&D 5E Wild Sorcerror Halfling and Lucky

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Hey guys,

My gf is toying with a new concept for a character, and is looking to play a Halfling Wild Sorcerer.
I'm curious how you would play the Halfling's Lucky trait when rolling the Wild Magic dice.

Essentially, every time she casts a spell, I could make her roll for a wild magic effect. On a 1, she could simply roll again, thus moving the wild magic effect chance from 1/20 to 1/400.

I don't see a reason she couldn't do this, nor a way it makes halflings broken etc. I'm just toying with this idea, and looking for your reactions/response.

It's worth saying, she's very excited about the Wild Magic effect table, so chances are if she got the 1 she'd pass on her Lucky reroll, but again, just kinda thinking this through.

Trit

Sacrosanct

Legend
Lucky only works for an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Not saying that you couldn't do it if you didn't want to, just what the rule actually is.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Lucky specifies attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. So the wild magic roll wouldn't be one of those things.

The big appeal of a wild sorcerer is rolling on that table, anyway. Should do it as often as you can. :)

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Ah see, I hoped there was a reason it wouldn't apply, and there it is.
I just remember reading Lucky and thinking "so basically everything."
Basically is the operative word there.

And yes, exactly, as a Wild Sorcerer, that table is the appeal.

Thanks!

Trit

CapnZapp

Legend
The big appeal of a wild sorcerer is rolling on that table, anyway. Should do it as often as you can. :)
It is certainly fun.

From a character power perspective, however, it is the advantage that is the appeal of the wild sorcerer sub class. Apart from getting advantage, the sub class gains almost nothing, and pales in comparison to the draconic subclass.

The surges table is merely a means to an end. Or, at least, that's the way I'd advise you all to look at it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Having seen a very similar character in play, the surge table can actually be very powerful, and is an important source of power for the character. Yes, it can interact quite nicely with tides of chaos...

Which is the other thing, its all set up so that it depends on the DM. The DM can use tides and calling for wild magic checks to make it more or less frequent, and adjudicate certain results more or less in the PC's favor (what does that modron do when it shows up?). But they need to get something out of it, as they are otherwise a step behind the other casters.

Remove ads