• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Motto for Thieves' Guild

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Hey all,

Brainstorming a motto/secret saying for a theives' guild I'm introducing into my world via one character's background. The Unseen Hand and The Nighthawks have been rival organizations for years, vying for control over the nation's black markets and underworld.
One of the characters recently left The Nighthawks (generally seen as more ruthless and cruel), and is now of interest to The Unseen Hand as a potential recruit.

At a dinner one evening, our character will meet a member of The Unseen Hand (though he will not know it at first). At the end of the meal, the mysterious NPC will whisper a cryptic phrase which only one aware of the two organizations would be able to understand.

And I need to decide what it is.

I'm looking for something cryptic, almost like a secret society pledge/motto, something that could help members identify each other.

Atm I have:
"Never trust the hand you can see."

Any other cool ideas?

Trit

PnPgamer

Explorer
how about
"The hand is not where it seems"
"The hand is not there"
"Left to belongings, Right to deceit" (meaning actually the hands themselves as in "Left hand for belongings, right hand to distract the victim", but most people would get that it is "I am left to belongings, and I have a right to deceit", referring to a family feuding over testamential stuff)

"I just stole your pants"
"Want to come upstairs?"
"This is Sparta"
"U mad bro?"
"Your buttcrack is showing"

Last edited:

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
“The robb'd that smiles, steals something from the thief; He robs himself that spends a bootless grief.” (From Othello, by Shakespeare.)

"Nighthawks drool. Hands rule!."

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"All hail to he who commits the perfect crime."

"Seek the hidden perpetrator"

"Mercy befalls the blind."
To which one responds "Blind are the truly merciful."

"The first rule of Thieves' Guild is don't talk about thieves' guild."
To which, the obvious response code is, "The second rule of thieves' guild is don't talk about thieves' guild."

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
"Beware the eye that does not see." (inspired by a Babylon 5 ep)

"The sun is shining, but the ice is slippery." (From The Shadow--meant to be a two-part thing, so The Shadow's recruited informants can identify each other.)

"Tall trees have deep roots."

"A coin in the hand...is worth two in the purse." This has a nice rich layering of meanings:
Coin you've actually stolen is more valuable to you than coin you haven't managed to get yet.
Visible signs of wealth usually indicate more wealth concealed.
Spend your money wisely: every coin you spend is like spending twice as much of your savings.

Staffan

Legend
From the only Thieves' Guild worth the name: "Acutus id Verberat" (Whip it quick).

(That, of course, being the Ankh-Morpork thieves' guild.)

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
All good inspiration. Got me thinking a bit more vague and less direct.

"The five for the many" - Five fingers to support the (many) Guild.
"Fingers are swifter than wings" - Little shot at the Nighthawks
"Lighter than feathers," other party replies "Swifter than night" - Also a shot at the Nighthawks.
"Five are never seen together - Unseen fingers/hand

Trit

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
From the only Thieves' Guild worth the name: "Acutus id Verberat" (Whip it quick).

(That, of course, being the Ankh-Morpork thieves' guild.)

That's some very doggy Latin though. A more accurate translation would be "She/he whips it sharply," since "Verberat" is third-person present and nothing about "acutus" suggests "quick" (according to Whitaker, anyway). While I'm still only learning, I'd suspect that if you wanted a more "rigorous" version, it would be more like "Verbera id Celer," making it imperative (a command).

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
That's some very doggy Latin though. A more accurate translation would be "She/he whips it sharply," since "Verberat" is third-person present and nothing about "acutus" suggests "quick" (according to Whitaker, anyway). While I'm still only learning, I'd suspect that if you wanted a more "rigorous" version, it would be more like "Verbera id Celer," making it imperative (a command).

Look, the Watch's motto is FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC. Ankh-Morpork Latin is as canine as it comes.

Remove ads