D&D 5E What single new class would you like to see?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I'd like to see the Warlord getting a pass for sure! Pure martial are underrepresented and i think this class would have a unique place.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Psionics with a more sci-fi take then what WotC has shown us.

Don't know how to call it, but something to represent a Dr.Frankenstein type of character?

The adventuring sage/expert who does not cast (many) spells or is not a pure alchemist would be interesting. Would also be good for other genres.

A "pet master" that actually worked could be good. Seems hard to do though.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
We did the Warlord already. We called it the Noble.
I'm starting to feel like a thread title change might be helpful, like "What single new class would you like to see (that isn't the Warlord, 'cause we did that)". :)

Celebrim

Legend
5e has great sub-classing mechanics so you should probably try to squeeze as much as possible into subclasses of base classes. "There is more than one way to do things" isn't a great attribute to have in a system.

Class concepts...

Explorer: You are an all around balanced adventurer/dungeoneer class, with decent social and combat skills, capable of filling in for either not bad fighter or a not too bad rogue. You are a survivor, and tough and hardy and resistant to hazards of every sort. But your real specialty is movement and finding your way. Some versions can even learn how to travel to other planes without magic, simply by knowing the way through the veils.

Reincarnate: You have lived many lives. By bringing back your memories, you can emulate almost any other class.

Feyborn: You are a nature spirit, born of the union of a mortal with a creature of fairy. You don't cast spells so much as you gain spell-like abilities and mysterious fey powers. You are great at self-buffing, and spell-casting even while wearing armor. However, Warlock might eat this class concept and take its stuff.

Expert: You are Sherlock Holmes. You are proficient in almost everything, and have penetrating near supernatural insight. Your skills are legendary, whether you are a master of disguise, an alchemist or an inventor everyone else thought was a mad.

Paragon: You are a fairy tale hero; the lucky seventh son of a seventh son, the miller's third son, the king's youngest daughter. You may be fairly average, and even normal, but you've been blessed, fortunate, and gosh darn it the world just likes you. You may have been just born better than everyone else, with all the virtues of your race demonstrated in their maximum potential. Things just seem to work out in your favor, and your enemies seem to end up jinxed.

Last edited:

Normally I would want a Healer, but it's impossible to get injured in 5E, so that kind of class would be pointless.

Some sort of dedicated summoner, I guess? The Conjuration Wizard does a decent job of it already, though.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The adventuring sage/expert who does not cast (many) spells or is not a pure alchemist would be interesting. Would also be good for other genres.
I've always (I mean, back to childhood) liked the 'scientist' or 'sage' archetype - basically the exposition character who explained the monster and gave the hero the knowledge/gear/McGuffin to defeat it. I've tried to do a character like that as Bard in 3e, and as a 'Lazy' Warlord build or Artificer in 4e. Bard & Artificer had too much magic, Warlord not enough knowledge skills, Bard & Warlord not enough material support options (Artificer a surfeit of them).

It'd have real potential as a 5e class, with sub-classes for more lore-based, more spell-casting, or more gear-providing. Could slip an Artificer in as the last of those. Providing 'training' (a la the 'training montage' trope) could be a way to go, too.

3) An elemental blaster class, sort of like a 5e version of the Pathfinder Kineticist. Definitely an overlooked niche in standard D&D that's also wildly popular, based on the Paizo forums.
Or the Essentials 'Elemental Sorcerer' from HotEC, just not called a Sorcerer. 'Elementalist' or something would cover it. The key appeal vs an actual Sorcerer is simplicity, down at the level of the Champion. You blast things with your chosen element, you 'Escalate' (go big with your attack0 a time or few between short rests, tacking on an AE or extra/continuing damage or some thematic effect for your element, and you maybe get a feature or two that support the elemental theme.

Which Element could be a matter of sub-class or of a 1st-level choice (like a fighter's Weapon Style is at 1st level). Or maybe sub-class could affect how your limited ability to 'go big' with your elemental blasting works, or whether you get some utility, instead, perhaps?

[sblock]
In EN5ider we made the Noble, our name for the Warlord, and it's one of our most popular articles ever.
I'm not allowed to say. Talking about that class is restricted to a single forum here.
I'd like to see the Warlord getting a pass for sure! Pure martial are underrepresented and i think this class would have a unique place.
Invoker or a true Warlord.
[/sblock]We did the Warlord already. We called it the Noble.
Yeah, Morrus, but how 'bout a Warlord? ;)

I'm starting to feel like a thread title change might be helpful, like "What single new class would you like to see (that isn't the Warlord, 'cause we did that)". :)
'Noble' is just such a specific name, and already a Background. I know you liked the class, personally, but, well...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468491-Is-the-Noble-class-a-good-Warlord-substitute

5e really has plenty of casting, so another martial class would be nice. Maybe a Martial-Arts or Dueling-School Master who could be something like the Martial 'Controller' that 3.x did with reach builds and 4e never delivered on.

Remove ads