D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanliss

Explorer
But, all that being said, in 5e, there IS a ninja class. It's the Way of Shadow monk. It's right there in the description of the class. Now, it's not the same as a 1e ninja, that's true. It's a new interpretation for a new edition. IIRC, the 3e ninja was closer to a rogue than a monk (but, it's been a really long time and I might be misremembering). But, at the end of the day, there is a ninja class in 5e. And, it's a ninja class that does ninja things most of the time - illusions for distracting, disappearing into the darkness, kicking butt out of the darkness. Yup, that's a ninja. It's not a 1e version of the ninja, but, it is a ninja. It's just as much of a ninja as a barbarian is a barbarian or a bard is a bard.

To preface what I am about to say, I am for Warlord inclusion. I am on your side, I just find this particular argument completely ridiculous. Have you read the PDK description in SCAG? It says pretty much exactly the same thing as Shadow Monk does about ninja.

"Banneret serves as the generic name for this archetype if you use it in other campaign settings or to model Warlords other than Purple Dragon Knights."

in comparison to

"These monks might be called Ninjas".

To paraphrase you, it might not be the warlord you want, but it is right there, with the label on it and everything. How can you use this argument of Shadow Monk being the Ninja (Just not the ninja a ninja fan wants), but feel fine with refusing the PDK that meets exactly the same criteria you are saying makes the Shadow monk a Ninja?

In a game where each class and subclass has set abilities? Nope. Without redesigning how classes are built, on the most fundemental level, in 5e, Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin, etc do not fit in one class. In order for that to work, the "class" would literally be nothing more than your hit die, when you get ASIs, and when each subclass gives a type of ability. And then you couldn't make a Barbarian/Paladin, without building what amounts to a new class.
In my own attempt to rewrite the core classes for greater consistency (I'm sure that I'm not the only one taking up that project), I do have Paladin as a subclass of Fighter, alongside another subclass which is essentially a cross between the champion and battlemaster. Their unified chassis includes fighting styles, second wind, extra attacks, and action surge. The subclass-level difference between them is that the Paladin gains access to some spells and auras, while the other subclass gains additional fighting styles and a kind of battle-focus ability that grants them advantage on attack rolls for a round.

I have Ranger as one of the subclasses of Rogue, using a unified chassis that focuses on skills and something like sneak attack. (Incidentally, one of the other Rogue subclasses is Ninja.)

pemerton

Legend
Abstract arguments about shadow ninjas vs purple warlords don't look that productive to me.

Isn't the question - (a) what might a ninja do, and how far short of that does some sort of Shadow Monk and/or Assassin build fall short?

And then - (b) what might a warlord do, and how far short of that does some sort of Banneret and/or Battle Master and/or Mastermind build fall short? (I'm discounting clerics and bards on the grounds that, as maximal casters, they are obviously inadequate as warlord substitutes.)

I'll leave others to answer (a), though my gut feeling is - not very far short. As far as (b) is concerned, though, the answer is - quite a bit, because all the warlord-y stuff has been watered down so as to not unbalance a class chassis that is primarily based around damage dealing rather than support.

Lanliss

Explorer
Abstract arguments about shadow ninjas vs purple warlords don't look that productive to me.

Isn't the question - (a) what might a ninja do, and how far short of that does some sort of Shadow Monk and/or Assassin build fall short?

And then - (b) what might a warlord do, and how far short of that does some sort of Banneret and/or Battle Master and/or Mastermind build fall short? (I'm discounting clerics and bards on the grounds that, as maximal casters, they are obviously inadequate as warlord substitutes.)

I'll leave others to answer (a), though my gut feeling is - not very far short. As far as (b) is concerned, though, the answer is - quite a bit, because all the warlord-y stuff has been watered down so as to not unbalance a class chassis that is primarily based around damage dealing rather than support.

I agree, that is certainly the question that should be asked. However, a relevant discussion-to-be-had does not make a poor argument into a good one. I have a slight twitch in my mind whenever I see a particularly poor argument/stance, and have a compulsion to poke at the holes I see. It is a personal flaw I don't really feel like fixing...

Hussar

Legend
I agree, that is certainly the question that should be asked. However, a relevant discussion-to-be-had does not make a poor argument into a good one. I have a slight twitch in my mind whenever I see a particularly poor argument/stance, and have a compulsion to poke at the holes I see. It is a personal flaw I don't really feel like fixing...

Heh. Fair enough. And, to be fair, I had forgotten they had said that in SCAG under purple dragon knights.

But, as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] says, there's a fair distance between what a Warlord should look like and what a PDK gives. Compared to Shadow Monks, there's a pretty wide gulf. Shadow monks are doing pretty much most of what a ninja is expected to do, right out of the gate. Comparisons to what they could do in 1e aren't really pertinent since NONE of the classes in 5e actually can do what 1e classes could do.

Obviously any warlord that we see is not going to be a carbon copy of the 4e warlord. Everyone knows this. 4e and 5e have different design perspectives and there's things in the 4e warlord that won't translate very well. For one, granting saves vs ongoing effects. In 4e, that was a big deal since everything and its brother could plant an ongoing effect on you. I remember one 4e session where the group actually managed 11 ongoing effects on a single target.

4e could get awfully bloody fiddly sometimes. :p

Obviously, that's not going to be a thing in 5e. There aren't that many ongoing effects in 5e. Mitigating ongoing effects would be largely redundant.

Or, as another element, in combat healing. 4e combat was based on the idea that you would be triggering healing surges during combat. The entire game was paced on that idea. But, 5e isn't. In combat healing isn't that big of a deal. 5e tends to play a lot closer to 2e or 1e in that regard - monsters don't drop PC's in single rounds (most of the time) and you generally aren't breaking out healing in the middle of combat too often. Not like 4e where it was expected every single combat.

So, obviously, our 5e warlord doesn't really need healing word 2/combat plus a boatload of other powers that grant healing in the middle of combat. We can likely get away with damage mitigation (temporary HP work well here) and some sort of out of combat healing bonus similar to what a bard gets.

In any case, no one is asking for a direct port of the 4e warlord into 5e. Everyone knows that the 5e warlord is going to be different from a 4e warlord. I don't think anyone would find that unacceptable considering that pretty much every single class in 5e is different from earlier edition classes. I mean, if we can accept regenerating fighters, we've obviously moved a fair distance away from earlier edition sensibilities.

The whole argument boils down to this, AFAIC. What is stopping us from getting a 5e warlord? Pretty much all of the warlord mechanics exist in the game, under the umbrella of other classes and mechanics. We've now got a psionic leader ganked straight out of 4e and everyone seems to like it - at least I haven't seen too much fuss about it. So, the mechanics are fine.

So, what's the holdup here? There really doesn't seem to be any reason why we don't have this, other than the fact that they haven't written it for consumption yet. Otherwise, what hurdles do you see in the class?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The fuss was definitely there but it was due to misreading. Some disliked the mantle of command controlling the actions of other players but it was pointed out to them that the other player isn't forced to move if they don't want to.

Lanliss

Explorer
The fuss was definitely there but it was due to misreading. Some disliked the mantle of command controlling the actions of other players but it was pointed out to them that the other player isn't forced to move if they don't want to.

FWIW, I still don't like that part of it, because then I feel like kind of a dick for shutting down a major part of someones character. I would much rather have an ally that simply gives bonus movement/attacks, without requiring that the player of "leader" be the one to choose all of the actual actions. OTOH, Avatar can be played like that anyway, so long as the Avatar player is willing to listen to requests, or is just cool enough to say "Move wherever you want, we will just say that is where I wanted you to go.

Aldarc

Legend
I agree with your original assertion, but I also find that the PDK raises another problem. People have pointed to the Battlemaster as WotC's 5e Warlord "as intended." But this assertion is not congruent with the simultaneous existence of the Purple Dragon Knight. If the PDK/Banneret is also mentioned as a "Warlord," as per the text (SCAG 128), then this suggests that the Battlemaster is something other than 5E's Warlord. If not and both are meant to be Warlords, then WotC has essentially given Fighters two redundant subclasses meant to fill the same niche, archetype, and aesthetic: i.e. the Warlord.

Lanliss

Explorer
Heh. Fair enough. And, to be fair, I had forgotten they had said that in SCAG under purple dragon knights.

But, as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] says, there's a fair distance between what a Warlord should look like and what a PDK gives. Compared to Shadow Monks, there's a pretty wide gulf. Shadow monks are doing pretty much most of what a ninja is expected to do, right out of the gate. Comparisons to what they could do in 1e aren't really pertinent since NONE of the classes in 5e actually can do what 1e classes could do.

Obviously any warlord that we see is not going to be a carbon copy of the 4e warlord. Everyone knows this. 4e and 5e have different design perspectives and there's things in the 4e warlord that won't translate very well. For one, granting saves vs ongoing effects. In 4e, that was a big deal since everything and its brother could plant an ongoing effect on you. I remember one 4e session where the group actually managed 11 ongoing effects on a single target.

4e could get awfully bloody fiddly sometimes. :p

Obviously, that's not going to be a thing in 5e. There aren't that many ongoing effects in 5e. Mitigating ongoing effects would be largely redundant.

Or, as another element, in combat healing. 4e combat was based on the idea that you would be triggering healing surges during combat. The entire game was paced on that idea. But, 5e isn't. In combat healing isn't that big of a deal. 5e tends to play a lot closer to 2e or 1e in that regard - monsters don't drop PC's in single rounds (most of the time) and you generally aren't breaking out healing in the middle of combat too often. Not like 4e where it was expected every single combat.

So, obviously, our 5e warlord doesn't really need healing word 2/combat plus a boatload of other powers that grant healing in the middle of combat. We can likely get away with damage mitigation (temporary HP work well here) and some sort of out of combat healing bonus similar to what a bard gets.

In any case, no one is asking for a direct port of the 4e warlord into 5e. Everyone knows that the 5e warlord is going to be different from a 4e warlord. I don't think anyone would find that unacceptable considering that pretty much every single class in 5e is different from earlier edition classes. I mean, if we can accept regenerating fighters, we've obviously moved a fair distance away from earlier edition sensibilities.

The whole argument boils down to this, AFAIC. What is stopping us from getting a 5e warlord? Pretty much all of the warlord mechanics exist in the game, under the umbrella of other classes and mechanics. We've now got a psionic leader ganked straight out of 4e and everyone seems to like it - at least I haven't seen too much fuss about it. So, the mechanics are fine.

So, what's the holdup here? There really doesn't seem to be any reason why we don't have this, other than the fact that they haven't written it for consumption yet. Otherwise, what hurdles do you see in the class?

I agree, there are no "major" hurdles, and it should happen. Unfortunately, things seem to align in such a way that it gets delayed.

I don't know if you play pokemon, but a similar phenomenon happens with a creature in it called Eevee. Eevee evolutions (Eeveelutions to the fans) are universally loved by all pokemon fans, and everyone wants more. The downside is, everyone designs the ones they want. Every design someone uses on their fan art page is a design that Nintendo cannot legally use, or be too similar to. As a result, we have seen exactly one recent addition to the Eevee evolution line. How did they manage it? They invented a whole new class of pokemon, and made an Eeveelution for it before someone else could. There are so many hundreds of people who have made their own idea of what a Dragon/Rock/Metal/Ghost/Fighting Eevee would look like, nothing is left but the crappiest designs (luckily, Nintendo seems ready to scrape literal trash into the games at this point, so we could see more in the next lineup of games)

In a similar way, things pop up that would fit the warlord. The Avatar is either a precursor to a Warlord (testing out Warlord stats incognito, so as not to startle those who fear the Rise of the Warlord), or a replacement that will block space for a Warlord. I understand that Adventures in Middle Earth had a really nice Spell-less bard that was pretty much exactly what a few people wanted out of a Warlord. Things like that get in the way of an official version, because those are good designs that cannot be used anymore, so WoTC needs to make A) a better design, or B) and inferior design. One is hard, the other won't make people happy. So, it gets pushed back, probably because they would rather take longer on a decent design than placate you with a crappy one. Clearly, they tried that with PDK, and your response above shows how well that worked out.

That is about the best response I can come up with (with my minor, completely unschooled, knowledge of the human psyche) on why there isn't a warlord, and why you might not get one in the next big book. Of course, I hope I am wrong, since I like new toys in general.

Lanliss

Explorer
I agree with your original assertion, but I also find that the PDK raises another problem. People have pointed to the Battlemaster as WotC's 5e Warlord "as intended." But this assertion is not congruent with the simultaneous existence of the Purple Dragon Knight. If the PDK/Banneret is also mentioned as a "Warlord," as per the text (SCAG 128), then this suggests that the Battlemaster is something other than 5E's Warlord. If not and both are meant to be Warlords, then WotC has essentially given Fighters two redundant subclasses meant to fill the same niche, archetype, and aesthetic: i.e. the Warlord.

From what I have seen people say, the two fighters are two sides to the same Warlord shaped coin. One grants attacks (Like a warlord can), and the other buffs people in a radius, without magic (Like a warlord can). My guess is, WoTC made BM to fill a little of the Warlord Niche, and people didn't see the warlord at all. So, WoTC made PDK in response to what those people said they wanted out of a Warlord. Almost like the Ranger-Revised, they failed in their original swing, so they pulled a different approach in the hopes it would work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads