D&D 5E Mike Mearls on Settings

Bad Fox

First Post
In today's Dragon Talk podcast, Mike Mearls talks about Tales from the Yawning Portal...

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/mike-mearls-tales-yawning-portal

But buried among the discussion, he also dives into a talk on other settings - particularly him wanting to do Greyhawk.

The relevant bit gets started around 1:04:28. He says that as a design strategy, he wants individual settings to have different flavours. Like, how can you make each one almost feel like a different genre of fantasy?

He says that he doesn't want to get into a situation where anyone has to ask, "what's the difference between the Realms and Greyhawk?" Instead, it's self-evident. He says that he sees it as an interesting design challenge: to take the things that makes a setting distinct and putting them front and center, but without having people who love the setting feeling like its been changed too much.

Mearls goes on to say that they've been working away steadily and talking about settings more than people suspect.

Anyway, check it out for yourself. The discussion about settings is short - it goes on for less than two minutes.

Patrick McGill

First Post
This has me riding the hype train, a hobo with a broadsword.

I really love Greyhawk. My dad had the boxed sets with the maps and the booklets which I read without ever getting a chance to really play with them. I would love nothing more than a great Greyhawk adventure with that sword and sorcery, morally absent, Robert E. Howard/Fritz Lieber touch.

Oofta

Legend
Huh. That is interesting.

I would like to see a focus on something other than the Forgotten Realms for a while, maybe something that emphasizes a lower magic more "traditional" fantasy than FR's stewpot of every fantasy trope under the sun.

Greyhawk seems like a good choice. Enough of a tradition for old fogeys (like me), but without all the ... clutter that FR has accumulated.

I don't want to start a campaign setting war, but FR had it's time in the sun. Time for something else for a while. Maybe one with less half fiend Tieflings, half dragon Dragonborn and Drizz't clones.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Forgotten Realms is kind of like Macdonalds, sometimes we're going to want something entirely different, not just a different item on that menu. Glad to hear they're thinking of more settings, but also a bit sad that they can't seem to risk something fresh and new.

Oofta

Legend
So? What is the difference between Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms in the feel of the game?

Forgotten Realms has always been, by design, a melting pot. An everything goes, let's have everything for everyone type of campaign. It's also quite high magic, high fantasy.

Greyhawk had more of an old school feel. So armies of orcs, not armies of undead lead by a lich king. Think LOTR versus WOW. Both fun in their own rights, but different.

Or at least that's my perspective. I'm sure other people can give you much more detail.

Bad Fox

First Post
Huh. That is interesting.

I would like to see a focus on something other than the Forgotten Realms for a while, maybe something that emphasizes a lower magic more "traditional" fantasy than FR's stewpot of every fantasy trope under the sun.

Greyhawk seems like a good choice. Enough of a tradition for old fogeys (like me), but without all the ... clutter that FR has accumulated.

One of other things that Mearls says in the interview: at one point, he was almost ready to just say, "let's throw Greyhawk up on the release schedule!"

But when it gets done, he wants to be able to say they did it because they had a really great idea, and they want the setting relaunch to be inspiring.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Greyhawk isn't in my top 5 of settings I would like to see republished, but then again neither was FR, and I understand why a setting like Greyhawk would be preferable.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I can see this working really well. Imagine a Greyhawk ruleset that emulates some of the 1e classes. Less magic casters, grittier healing, etc.

I could imagine a City of Greyhawk Adventure Guide (akin to Sword Coast for FR) with those rules/classes and a Mordenkainen's Guide to Monsters.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Greyhawk isn't in my top 5 of settings I would like to see republished, but then again neither was FR, and I understand why a setting like Greyhawk would be preferable.

Just curious, what 5 other setting did WotC/TSR produce outside of Greyhawk/FR? Mystera, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape are your top 5?

Remove ads