GAME OF THRONES #6 :-BEYOND THE WALL--Season 7 EPISODE #66

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
BEYOND THE WALL

thewall.jpg

Jon's mission continues north of the wall, but the odds against his ragged band of misfits may be greater than he imagined.​

Last edited:

If only they had had oh, I don’t know, a bunch of dragonglass-tipped arrows and a longbow. Probably left those behind along with their winter hats.

I dug the episode, quite a bit. Except for the “Oh, hi long lost uncle Benjen. Goodbye long lost uncle Benjen” moment. The death of the dragon was horrifying and momentous. I figured that there was a chance of it happening eventually, but it was a heavy moment, nonetheless.

Guess this is our first Dracolich in genre television and movies, too.

Mirtek

Hero
It becomes way more believable if they just switch out every mentioning of "sending a raven" with "making a cellphone call".

Seriously, this sets the new gold standard for teleporting in GoT. The season so far was heavy of it, but Gendry's world-record breaking run to the wall, the supersonic flight of the raven from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, the supersonic flight of the dragons from Dragonstone to the lake beyond the wall - just wow

MarkB

Legend
If only they had had oh, I don’t know, a bunch of dragonglass-tipped arrows and a longbow. Probably left those behind along with their winter hats.

Longbows won't cut it (literally). I'm expecting we'll see a dragonglass-bolt-equipped Scorpion at some point (or maybe they'll just load Longclaw into it).

Argyle King

Legend
I still enjoy the show. However, it's hard to not feel as though the quality of writing has dropped significantly since passing the point of being completely without the books. A lot of what made the show great was the small details which helped bring the fantasy setting to life.

I understand that the scope of the story is now bigger and more epic, so it makes sense to gloss over a lot of things. That being said, I feel as though the fight-logic is (at least to some extent) hurting the story by too often embracing what looks cool in a 10 second preview or a still shot rather than what actually feels narratively right while watching the show.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I still enjoy the show. However, it's hard to not feel as though the quality of writing has dropped significantly since passing the point of being completely without the books. A lot of what made the show great was the small details which helped bring the fantasy setting to life.

I understand that the scope of the story is now bigger and more epic, so it makes sense to gloss over a lot of things. That being said, I feel as though the fight-logic is (at least to some extent) hurting the story by too often embracing what looks cool in a 10 second preview or a still shot rather than what actually feels narratively right while watching the show.

absolutely, GoT became the huge cross over hit that appeals to my rugby loving father as much as it does his fantasy geek son because of the indepth story and character development that was able to unfurl over long episodes of travel and exploration. Thats been replaced with leaps of logic, forced exposition and the hope that the Epic shots of Dragons plummeting through the ice is enough.

I appreciated the growing tension between Dany and Tyrion and loved the zombie ice bear scene, that was unexpected and terrifying, but the dragon's demise was too conviniently set up, and Arya v Sansa just looks like a red herring. Really the whole season seems to consist of moving peices into place in order to set up some cool cgi battle scene.

its certainly spectacular, but also a little hollow

oh and where is Grey Wurm?

Joker

First Post
Yeah, the troubling things about this season have been the leaps of logic and out of character decisions.

Going beyond the wall all so you can set up the relationship between Jon and Dani is convoluted at best. The excuse that it's to get a wight to convince Cercei of the real danger is ridiculous. You don't need Cercei. You can quite literally take the dragons and burn the Red Keep to its foundations.

About Arya: I'm hoping she's playing Littlefinger. Her exchange at the end of the episode with Sansa about the Game of Faces seemed to be trying to tell Sansa that Arya is not mad with her and does trust her. Giving her the dagger kind of drove home the point.
If that's not the case, then it's completely ridiculous for Arya to act this way. Everyone knows that Sansa was held captive. Everyone knows this happens in time of war.

Don't get me started on Benjen. Hi Benjen. Bye Benjen.

Azurewraith

Explorer
It becomes way more believable if they just switch out every mentioning of "sending a raven" with "making a cellphone call".

Seriously, this sets the new gold standard for teleporting in GoT. The season so far was heavy of it, but Gendry's world-record breaking run to the wall, the supersonic flight of the raven from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, the supersonic flight of the dragons from Dragonstone to the lake beyond the wall - just wow
I can't find it right now on mobile at work, but someone mathed it all out and it made sense.

What bugs me is why no one used the magic flamey sword for heat.

Remove ads