D&D 5E D&D Promises to Make the Game More Queer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wanted to add I think the large majority of people in western society are opposed at this time to open Homo displays of affection. I could be wrong though.

You're talking about yourself again. While I don't want to watch anybody making out (as that would be creepy of me), seeing a gay couple holding hands in the street is freakin' awesome.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Gay's aren't uncomfortable with hetero displays of affection. If anything they are envious.

It is not wrong to envy others' ability to be themselves in public, anymore than it is wrong for the slave to envy another man's freedom.

The issue is called mutual respect. Mutual respect will lead to the best outcomes but those outcomes won't occur instantly. Instead they will take time. I firmly believe that equality without respect is never equal.

Mutual respect also means having respect for each other as people, not the shallow respecting of people's comfort levels. Equality is predicated on this respect for the personhood of others.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
People are not slaves to their desires, I personally know people who are attracted to others of the same sex but choose to live an asexual or heterosexual life because according to their religious beliefs, homosexual behavior is morally wrong. Lifestyle is a perfectly good word for behavior. One of the reasons liberals and conservative (US definitions) tend to talk past each other on this issue is that conservatives think in terms of behavior while liberals think in terms of desire.

We're not talking about behaviour, we're talking about identity.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm also pretty sure at least some hetrosexuals are fine with homosexual of the opposite gender make out

Bagpuss

Legend
I could imagine a 'the gods don't deserve our worship' type character, or a "so-and-so should be worshiped alone, the others are pretenders", but a true atheist or monotheist in the standard D&D setting doesn't fit the world.

The gods in D&D worlds have often been slain in the past, so are they really gods or just more powerful beings? I can see and atheist that doesn't believe the gods are anything more than pretenders, or a monotheist that believes the other gods are pretenders, but theirs is the one true god.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Respect is as much, if not more, about respecting the basic humanity of others as it is about respecting their comfort levels. People love. People in love give affection to each other, even in public. As long as it's tasteful, it shouldn't matter what sexuality the loving couple is.

Also, using the comfort level of others to justify inequality is wrong. I'm sure there were many civil war and reconstruction era southerners for whom the freedom of black slaves was uncomfortable, that doesn't mean they should have stayed slaves to preserve that comfort. I'm sure there are career driven DAs for whom exhonorating evidence being presented in a case that could make their career is uncomfortable, that doesn't mean an innocent person should go to jail to preserve the DA's comfort.

But it does matter what sex two people kissing in public are Mecha. It matters to a large number of people. You may wish that it didn't matter. It may not even be right that it matters. But it does matter.

Keep marginalizing those peoples comfort zones all you want. Whatever it takes so you don't have to treat them like real human being with real feelings right?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But you're telling homosexual people that your comfort is more important than them having the same right to public displays of affection that you enjoy. Isn't that incredibly unfair?

No. Unfair would be to insist that heterosexual people are hypocrites for disliking homo public displays of affection but being okay with hetero ones. If one bothers them and the other does not then they are not hypocrites. If gays actually cared about hetero displays of public affect then we may could talk about heteros respecting gays on that issue but the gays don't care and thus the heteros fully respect gays comfort on this issue.

I think instead of trying to use hetero public displays of affection to argue for gay ones instead maybe try to figure out why hetero people are uncomfortable with gay public displays of affection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads