Dragonlance - Alternate History

Melkor

Explorer
I posted this up over at RPG.Net, but I thought I would get throw it out here as well....the more ideas I get, the better.

Dragonlance - Alternate History

I've decided against using Midnight for my August weekend o' D&D, but I want to keep the 'bad guys won in the end' idea.

I'm going to take the Dragonlance saga and set it after the first 3 books.....Takhisis won the War of the Lance. While I liked Legends and quite a few of the other books, I think this would be a great setting for characters to play in.

A couple of notes/questions:

1) Does anyone know the actual release date for the Dragonlance Campaign Setting ? (Amazon doesn't have it listed, Barnes & Noble says September 3rd, but I have heard various sources say August)......My weekend o' D&D is the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, and I would like to have the book by then (anyone willing to pick it up at Gencon for me ? we could do PayPal or somthing.)

2) I haven't read the Dragonlance books since 90' or so. I've got the Annotated Chronicles, and I'm going to start reading them....but I'd like to bullet point some changes that would take place if Takhisis won the war.

I picture the High Clerists Tower in ruins.

What would have happened to Raistlin ?

What would have happende to the wizards of white and red robes ?

What about Lord Soth ?

Your input is appreciated.....

Taren Nighteyes

First Post
1) Raistlin - Definitely tortured on the abyss. The queen would have defeated him and would want to make his life hell for eternity.

2) Red and white robes would be in hiding or living in areas that had some assemblance of order/good. They may erect a new tower if none of the towers is available.

3) Lord Soth rules Solamnia with an iron fist. :)

Taren Nighteyes

Melkor

Explorer
Which portions of the continent would be relatively free of Dragon Army rule ?

Where would any remaining Knights of Solamnia be holed up ?

What about Kitiara....Any thoughts to her ambitions ?

I suppose Berem would still be heald captive and hunted by Takhisis ?

The good Dragons would still be staying out of the war ?

Reynard

Legend
Taren Nighteyes said:
1) Raistlin - Definitely tortured on the abyss. The queen would have defeated him and would want to make his life hell for eternity.

Nah. Raistlin is smart enough to know who the winner is going to be. Once he sees thew riting on the wall, he would set himself up as indespenable to the Dark Queen, making it a very poor decision for her to take him out. Perhaps Raistlin manages to capture Berem and holds him in the Tower of Wayreth (sp?). Having him and the gate, he is relatively safe, as only he has the powert to send her home again (until the PCs get hold of Berem of course).

Personally, I would kill off all the major NPCs, except whatever ones are absolutely necessary to whatever plot you decide on. The world remains recognizable, but the PCs get to be the heroes.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
talinthas said:
you might want to check out the war of the dark lance alternate campaign.

http://www.dl3e.com/rules/module.asp?id=11272

i dont remember exactly what it was, but give it a look =)

War of the Dark Lance is partially my creation. It's an alternate campaign setting based on some old games some friends of mine and I used to play. The original campaign (run by a friend of mine) was set to take the world into the future (prior to when Summer Flame was written). I landed up running the setting too, and added the Knights of Takhisis after I read Second Generation (but before Summer Flame).

What it basically amounts to is an alternate Chaos War, where the Knights of Takhisis had come upon dark rituals which could corrupt dragonlances! These new darklances would even the field between good and evil. Funny thing is, we created these prior to there being abyssal lances in SAGA.

Also, Ansalon was thrust into an ice age. Icewall Glacier was rapidly moving north, and had covered Tarsis (see the movie Fire and Ice for the inspiration for this). The Blood Sea had frozen, with the Maelstrom swirling underneath.

This alternate campaign setting includes info on all of this, plus on Lord Soth's whereabouts, and has a homebrewed rules system created by one of the co-authors.

I hope you enjoy War of the Dark Lance. :)

Remove ads