Dragons of Eternity

Dragonlance Dragons Of Eternity By Margaret Weis And Tracy Hickman Coming August 6, 2024

reezel

Explorer
For those who only read the first book, I suggest giving the second one a chance, especially if you are a DL fan. The first book mainly focused on Destina as the main character and she was a wholly unlikable character, in my opinion. The second book however has Raistlin and Sturm as the driving force. Not only do you get two characters who had little like for each other finally interacting with each other and being able to see that interesting story, Destina is also pushed to the background for most of the book. It's much better and I am looking forward to the third book.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For those who only read the first book, I suggest giving the second one a chance, especially if you are a DL fan. The first book mainly focused on Destina as the main character and she was a wholly unlikable character, in my opinion. The second book however has Raistlin and Sturm as the driving force. Not only do you get two characters who had little like for each other finally interacting with each other and being able to see that interesting story, Destina is also pushed to the background for most of the book. It's much better and I am looking forward to the third book.
From what I've heard, Destina seems to have a strong Mary Sue quality. Would you say that's accurate? Haven't read the new books yet.

From what I've heard, Destina seems to have a strong Mary Sue quality. Would you say that's accurate? Haven't read the new books yet.
I would not describe Destina as a Mary Sue at all (even aside from not liking that term). She makes a ton of mistakes in the first book. Debatably, she is the villain of the story, entirely through her misguided attempts to do good.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would not describe Destina as a Mary Sue at all (even aside from not liking that term). She makes a ton of mistakes in the first book. Debatably, she is the villain of the story, entirely through her misguided attempts to do good.
Destina is an accidental villain. She isn't purposefully trying to do harm but . . . her choices in Book 1 are incredibly selfish, stupid, and short-sighted and lead to catastrophe. She is acting out due to trauma, but . . .

In Book 2, she seems to realize this and work to correct her mistakes, but . . .

Well, she's probably my least favorite character in a D&D story in the decades since Chronicles was first published.

I'll read Book 3, I've come this far, but . . . I'm not looking forward to it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've only read book one, and I was worried since in the beginning it seems like she's being set up as a Mary Sue, emphasizing how she's not only prettier and smarter than all of her peers, can outfight any knight her own age, and is trained not only as a knight but also (by her mother) how to thrive in the wilderness, etc. Throw in her starting her journey after being screwed over through no fault of her own, and the potential was there.

But then she spends the rest of the book not being a Mary Sue at all, as she acts ignorantly (and oftentimes naively), selfishly, and generally being her own worst enemy. It was quite a relief.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
Is that AI art on the cover? It's horrendous.
Eh, humans can make crappy cover art too.

1708044367848.jpeg

Remove ads