Dragonlance Read The Beginning Of Dragonlance: Dragons of Deceit!

The first few pages of August's upcoming Dragonlance novel Dragons of Deceit from creators Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are available to read over at Polygon. It opens up with Destina Rosethorn, a Solamnic noble, just before the War of the Lance, the central conflict which was portrayed in the original Dragonlance Chronicles back in the 1980s. The novel trilogy features time travel...

The first few pages of August's upcoming Dragonlance novel Dragons of Deceit from creators Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman are available to read over at Polygon. It opens up with Destina Rosethorn, a Solamnic noble, just before the War of the Lance, the central conflict which was portrayed in the original Dragonlance Chronicles back in the 1980s. The novel trilogy features time travel.

Alternatively you can listen to the excerpt below!

The cover, with art by Philipp Urlich, was revealed some months ago; it features Destina, flanked by Tasslehoff Burrfoot and a dwarf called Wolfstone, who comes from Thorbardin. Behind them is Saber, a copper dragon.

The novel trilogy is not connected to the Dragonlance D&D hardcover coming from WotC later this year

9781984819321__1___2_.jpg

Although technically (and legally even) you're right, this is a work of art, love, and passion that W&H feel understandably protective of and, what's more, they feel they know what's best for the setting and fiction overall. And you know what? I think I and many other Dragonlance fans agree with them.

Even with my misgivings about War of Souls/Amber trilogy, they're still much better—and more recognizably Dragonlance—than anything that TSR produced for the Fifth Age/Age of Mortals without them, be it fiction or setting material. Heck! Apart from Dragonlance Adventures (1E)—which was written by Weis & Hickman—the only other gaming material that's ever been produced thst comes close to “deliver“ was what Weis and others produced during 3.x under a license.

So yeah, they may not “own” Dragonlance in a legal sense, but they sure as hell do in a spiritual and even practical one, I'd say.
They signed the contract and took the money. If you can't accept the terms forgo the job security and work for yourself. It's not only legally not their property, IMO it's also morally and spiritually not their property.

If you sell your soul then it belongs to Asmodeus.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They signed the contract and took the money. If you can't accept the terms forgo the job security and work for yourself. It's not only legally not their property, it's also morally and spiritually not their property.
"Spiritually" isn't a legal term. I doubt the contract had anything to say about who 'spiritually' owns it. But no, it's not legally their property. Spiritually, it's whatever you want it to be, I guess.

But Hasbro should do serious efforts for "good vibes" with them, because their names are good hooks to sell the novels. They are two of the main "stars" of this brand.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
They signed the contract and took the money. If you can't accept the terms forgo the job security and work for yourself. It's not only legally not their property, IMO it's also morally and spiritually not their property.

If you sell your soul then it belongs to Asmodeus.
depends, they may have retained moral rights

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
The real question no one is asking about this new series is if all the guards will be wielding hauberks. Drove me crazy a few months ago when I re-read Winter Night.

Wait, the guards were swinging chainmail shirts? Like they were Hitchhiker’s Guide to Galaxy’s towels?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It’s an error that has never been corrected, or not at least by whatever time the replacement copy that I ordered from Amazon at Christmas was printed. It’s only in Winter Night, but every time people should have halberds, the text says hauberks.
In the french translation, there's many instance of goblins being switched to gnomes and vice-versa. This leads to some real confusing scenes :p

Remove ads

Remove ads