Xanathar's War Mage is Gandalf, Dr Strange, and Elric

Ok I love that he gave a shout out to old school Michael Morrcock character Elric What is Crazy is how old those books were when I started reading them 84-86 time frame

Ok I love that he gave a shout out to old school Michael Morrcock character Elric

What is Crazy is how old those books were when I started reading them 84-86 time frame

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I'm a little confused...he mentions three characters who are about as different as it's possible to be from each other, and then says this one class can represent all three.

But it doesn't have any ability to use weapons, which is a signature feature of one, and a pretty darn major aspect of another?

Sorry, that just makes no sense and I don't buy it. He's just pulling three names that are sort of prominent and ought really to already be represented in the game already (and are) and using them to try to create excitement.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
"It also is a strong choice if you use the multi classing rules and you might be playing a fighter or some other character who's not a magic user who decides to become a wizard and weave that magic in with their martial abilities."

So the Wizard actually gets zero archetypes in XGtE...

--
Pauper

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
"It also is a strong choice if you use the multi classing rules and you might be playing a fighter or some other character who's not a magic user who decides to become a wizard and weave that magic in with their martial abilities."

So the Wizard actually gets zero archetypes in XGtE...

--
Pauper

As it should be ñ_ñ...

Tony Vargas

Legend
As someone who has worked in statistics and information collection before.
That freeform area at the end of certain sections and at the very end of a document.
People who fill those out are the ones who tend to be investigated the most.
Wizards has /investigated/ me?!? Argh! My privacy!

;)

I'm not convinced that stepping on the other classes toes, in terms of mechanics or themes, is a concern for the WotC devs anymore.
I'd spin it as: "5e is all but free of the heavy-handed niche protection that plagued the early game."
May be true (I've never read those books),
Elric is a sickly ablino member of non-/pre-human, but very humanoid, species, the heir to a decadent empire that he helped destroy, and his family has had pacts with 'Gods' of Chaos, very much like D&D Demon Lords, really, that allow him to call for supernatural aid now and then, using knowledge he memorized as a child, and a ring, the Atrios, which symbolizes the pact.

Moorcock conceived of Elric in a fit of pique when his Conan pastiche was panned by a critic for being, well, Conan pastiche. So Elric is the anti-Conan. Civilized, decadent, effete, and sickly where Conan is barbaric, strong, and vital.
Magic-using where Conan cuts sorcerers in half. Dependent on one magic sword rather than going through weapons like they were disposable. (Though, perhaps ironically, Elric's Melnibone did fall to 'barbarians' (humans) and his people are dying out, being supplanted by the more vigorous, less civilized, human race, in keeping with REH's politically incorrect theories of history.) Also, ironically, Elric of Melnibone was panned by a critic (who presumably never read it) as being just another Conan rip-off.

So, yeah, pact with an Evil power, demon bound in a sword, pact-implementfocus. D&D warlock's pretty close in concept.
Moorcock might even approve (or sue, whatever).

but Gandalf's a plot contrivance, not a wizard.
And a maiar, not a human.
He's also the exposition character... so much exposition...
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Who's "magical billy"? I don't remember him from the Elric novels. I'll be buying Xanathar just to find out! :D

gyor

Legend
I think it's not the characters so much as a single iconic ability they expressed, the ability to use magic to shield/block an enemy for a time.

gyor

Legend
If I wanted to 'lay waste to groups of enemies', I can't imagine swapping Sculpt Spell for any of the War Mage's abilities.

It's more I want lay waste to enemies while not getting stabbed in the throat. Mix of offence and defence and tactics. The Warmage is a better generalist ironically then the Lore Wizard.

Mephista

Adventurer
Curious thought - if they gave the War Wizard Expertise in Arcana, and kept the rest of the generic blaster abiltiies.... would that be a true generalist wizard?

Remove ads

Remove ads