D&D 5E D&D movie, take note...

The idea is that it should be a story not something that looks like an adaptation of a game. Using comic movies as an example. When they add thought bubbles and frames like Ang Lee's Hulk or Suicide squad, you are reminded that what you are watching has low stakes because it it framed outside a reality inherent to its own existence. If the D&D film goes out of its way to call characters by class names like "lets us seek the druid to cast spirit guardians" its not how people talk and it draws us out of the narrative. Do you ever say let's go see Dave the mechanic when you go to Dave's house? no you say "lets go to Dave's place" This practice of callin out game elements makes storytellin awkward. Instead they need to treat the material as if the categories and names in the rule books don't exist and rather the people in those stories have their own definitions. Think of it as they are not selling the property of D&D but the world of Greyhawk, and guess what? That world exists in the D&D fold. So the D&D product is a delivery device for the story elements they actually cared about form the movie.

I'm not saying they should try to emulate one medium with another, that defeats the point of making a film instead of just turning 'Dice, Camera, Action' into a Fathom Event. I was saying they need to pull from the unique points of the setting (read: The Realms). Practically everyone knows at least some magic. Creatures like half-devils and humanoid dragons-ish people are not uncommon. The gods definitely exist and often take a direct role in global affairs. There's a subterranean network of evil elf cities, interdimensional portals, and eldritch abominations sitting underneath a pub in the center of a major metropolis. Floating giant eyeballs that shoot disintegrator rays are a real occupational hazard for tomb raiders and dungeon delvers. Tomb raiding and dungeon delving are realistic and common career paths. Seriously, you'd have to be actively trying to fail to not be able to squeeze 90-120 minutes out of this place.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think the Guardians of the Galaxy template is perfect for a D&D movie.

The GotG were a completely unknown C-list comic book property before their movie. The plot is mediocre at best; they're out to get a MacGuffin and stop Mr. Evil Twirling Moustache.

It's the dynamics between the characters and fun tone of it that made it good.

That's all a D&D movie needs. A party of likeable characters.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I think the Guardians of the Galaxy template is perfect for a D&D movie.

The GotG were a completely unknown C-list comic book property before their movie. The plot is mediocre at best; they're out to get a MacGuffin and stop Mr. Evil Twirling Moustache.

It's the dynamics between the characters and fun tone of it that made it good.

That's all a D&D movie needs. A party of likeable characters.
The first Guardians movie had several things going for it:

-Strength of vision. Gunn and crew had a very strong idea for what came out, from the music, to the characterizations, to the humor. A movie with too many competing visions becomes a muddled mess or too formulaic, as in the case of half the movies that get made.

-Likeable Characters (and decent actors who like them, too) - No argument there.

-A hell of a good editor who knows what the strengths of a certain movie are, what to cut and what makes a story keep moving.

I think Guardians either lucked out, or had the resources to have these things, or (more likely) both.

The first Guardians movie had several things going for it:

-Strength of vision. Gunn and crew had a very strong idea for what came out, from the music, to the characterizations, to the humor. A movie with too many competing visions becomes a muddled mess or too formulaic, as in the case of half the movies that get made.

-Likeable Characters (and decent actors who like them, too) - No argument there.

-A hell of a good editor who knows what the strengths of a certain movie are, what to cut and what makes a story keep moving.

I think Guardians either lucked out, or had the resources to have these things, or (more likely) both.

Rise. Rise I say! From death must you rise once again!

In relation to communicating a dungeon via films, the Goonies is a great example of a group exploring a dungeon (with traps and puzzles to boot).

Tomb of Annihilation would be great source material for a D&D movie. I dont think it would be a good story to start a film franchise out with though. I would say the best bet would be to pull from the Forgotten Realms novels. Research which ones are most popular and write it up.

Hopefully it will be good and introduce a lot of new potential players to the hobby.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well they say it’s inspired (in part) by the success of GoG but my fear is they will take it too seriously and confuse it with GoT instead...

Dungeons can be the right place for a horror movie. The walking dead, a necromancer lich and the traps by Jigsaw or from the movie Cube. Everybody die but the final girl.

This whole movie thing has moved way to the back burner for me for now because Amazon has activated the Twitter account for their LotR series and started posting teasers on it. :)

Remove ads