Warlock Changing Patron

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So

The party is in a big adventure where it will be revealed that the warlock's patron (a Kraken) has been pulling the strings and is controlling the BBEG (who's going along willingly btw). This has been foreshadoed, and the player (*and* his character) know they will have to make a choice soon - help his patron (and the BBEG) defeat the party, or stay loyal to the party and vanquish the BBEG.

After the climax of this adventure, assuming that the PC survives and chooses his allies over his evil patron... What happens?

Well I have a partial answer. I've decided in my game that the Patron is a source of secret knowledge, but not *power* - it's not a god. This means that the split between the patron and the PC means no more secret knowledge - but the PC still "keeps" what he has so far. He doesn't forget the secrets. However, going on up it will be difficult to operate as a warlock - he'll gain more HP as he levels up and his spell slots will go up in level, but he will learn no new spells or invocations. (I'm not asking for advice on this ruling btw, kindly read on!)

At this point the perhaps character could multi-class - perhaps the constant exposure to warlock magic has unlocked an unseen potential and he can now wield sorcerous magic? But another way forward would be gaining a new patron.

This is where I'm looking for advice, both rule wise and story wise, how this would work. Rule wise, especially if the new patron isn't the same "type" (ie not great old one anymore, which is what the Kraken was)... how would you handing changing sub-classes?

Story wise, ideas would be nice :)

Last edited:

Bawylie

A very OK person
Nature abhors a vaccuum.

Where the kraken was, a new power rises. I’d use an aboleth (because I rarely ever do in my games). Or something like that. It offers a new deal- a partnership. The Warlock and his powerful allies to help solidify its rule in exchange for continued secrets and powers. The new powers are the same as the old powers but maybe they appear differently or have some neato extra effect. New extra invocation maybe.

I'd just say that you have the cool scene where the warlock goes through some ritual to enter the new pact, and *poof* all of his subclass features change to fit the new pact.

I would not punish the character in any mechanical way. But changing the flavor of things, especially if changing sub-classes would be cool.

A thing to think about, if he does leave/betray his patron, well then every patron has enemies right? So perhaps one of the original patron's enemies will take him on a a valued... servant.

A thing to think about, if he does leave/betray his patron, well then every patron has enemies right? So perhaps one of the original patron's enemies will take him on a a valued... servant.

Yep, or as a kind of redemption or even reward let another patron take him on (fey?). Leave his pacts and patrons as they are if the player prefers - just switch the "colors".

Li Shenron

Legend
I wouldn't care... the Patron doesn't normally work like a deity "granting spellcasting powers", but merely teaching stuff to the Warlock. So what the Warlock already knows stays with the Warlock, even if the patron dies.

But I wouldn't even mind to let the Warlock continue progressing after the pact is broken. It depends on how strong you want to enforce the narrative. So if you want to stick to it as much as possible, it makes sense to require the Warlock to either find a new patron, or being unable to level up again in the same class.

However, you could also narrate the pact as something other than the warlock having to perform services for the patron (and by the way, complete loyalty and obedience is too high a price for the pact's benefits, if your DM requires them by default, you should better not accept the pact at all!). For instance, the original narrative idea from which the Warlock came to be is Faust, which sells his soul for knowledge: the soul is already lost, the patron already gets its share of the deal, so it can't prevent the Warlock from advancing in level on her own even if she disobeys or betrays the patron. Depending on the world's narrative, a patron might not be able to break the pact itself, or it might decide that breaking a pact would mean very bad marketing and it's still better off accepting an occasional unfaithful warlock than earning shame.

I would only be wary of changing the subclass because of the possible work needed on the character features, but if you don't mind that, it's certainly doable.

Ymdar

Explorer
Changing patrons seems like a great plot hook to start a new campaign.
Would definitely use it. Rules/Sub-class wise nothing would have to change (unless the player wanted to).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I would not punish the character in any mechanical way. But changing the flavor of things, especially if changing sub-classes would be cool.

The main enemy of the Kraken(s, there is more than one) are the slugmen, a race created to block their access to the God River, and the Divine Source.

The Slugmen can't act as patrons. I mean in the general sense of the word yes, they already funded the party 's expedition. But not as a magical patron...

Although now I have an idea... hmmm...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So thank you everyone for the comments. As I hoped, they inspired my creativity (and I'm going to have to start a new thread haha).

But I do have a more... what is fair to the player question kinda deal. I just had a "aha! This is the perfect replacement patron" inspiration. I'll have to design the spell list etc.

But this may not be to the player's liking. What if they wanted something else for the new patron?

How would handle that?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases