Warlock Changing Patron

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So thank you everyone for the comments. As I hoped, they inspired my creativity (and I'm going to have to start a new thread haha).

But I do have a more... what is fair to the player question kinda deal. I just had a "aha! This is the perfect replacement patron" inspiration. I'll have to design the spell list etc.

But this may not be to the player's liking. What if they wanted something else for the new patron?

How would handle that?

Offer the player your new option, but if they don't like it, you can decide that the dead kraken becomes a vestige, with the player's pact as their sole remaining tie to existence. Even though they are adversarial, they would keep relying on each other for power. That way everything remains status quo ante.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I like the idea of changing over to something new within class, should the character accept. If not, they can multiclass. Would let them know they can sense no more power to be tapped if they have turned away from the patrol--he will not willingly show them something new.

Paladins who fall, aasimar who fall become something different. Why couldn't a warlock ascend? maybe a celestial brings knowledge and redemption. or perhaps a devil or demon sees someone desperate for more tutelage.

In a switch to a new patron, I would simply replace powers and the character could roleplay how disoriented it is to learn fiend pact powers that have been granted when old powers start to slip from mind.

I am with you though--if it is not a switch of patron but multiclassing, let the powers stay.

I much prefer the idea of apprentice and master. Sometimes the apprentice learns and breaks away...

Bawylie

A very OK person
So thank you everyone for the comments. As I hoped, they inspired my creativity (and I'm going to have to start a new thread haha).

But I do have a more... what is fair to the player question kinda deal. I just had a "aha! This is the perfect replacement patron" inspiration. I'll have to design the spell list etc.

But this may not be to the player's liking. What if they wanted something else for the new patron?

How would handle that?

As a potential patron I would be very suspicious of any Warlock who overthrew their former patron. Consequently I would extract some large cost or act as a demonstration of loyalty. And my other minions would constantly evince skepticism.

Even if the patron is dead, that doesn't necessarily mean the contract is null and void*, and whatever the warlock had to sell might not be available to bargain with again.

On the other hand, the expense of changing someone into a warlock is not there, so if the warlock had something the potential new patron wanted (or agreed to whatever services the potential patron wanted), it might be cheaper to repatronize the warlock.

* Let's face it, the 9 Hells and the fey courts are pretty much pyramid schemes, so if you think "I killed one devil, and now I'm off the hook", you are a damned fool (possibly literally). Not being permanently killable is practically a definition for a GOO (that which never lived, can't die), and if a demon lord bites the big one, whatever demon lord, protodemon lord, or aspiring demon lord that takes over the old boss's space will inevitably claim "what was his is mine."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
A clarification: the patron (the Kraken) won't die. It won't be present. Rather, the patron 's scheme will be ruined and his underling (the BBEG of the adventure) defeated.

The new patron would be a foe of the Kraken - this thread helped me realized who this patron would be :)

jgsugden

Legend
I'd have a FEW patron options make themselves evident. If he gravitates towards one, have them make ... an offer... and if s/he agrees, substitute mechanics as necessary to suit the new Patron. You want to give the PC as much opportunity as you can to replace this core element of their PC.

I'd work this into the story over a length of time. Have the PCs encounter minions of a Demonlord, or someone in the Fey Court, or whoever else is under consideration as a Patron and have the party enter into a negotiation with them for information.

Alternatively, consider not removing any of his power when his Patron disappears. Have the PC discover that his 'Patron' was not the one actually granting power to him, but that there was another figure in the shadows behind the Leviathan that was secretly the true power... and it is pleased that the PC is challenging the Leviathan. Chaos breeds opportunity...

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I've decided in my game that the Patron is a source of secret knowledge, but not *power* - it's not a god.

I really like this. Ties in nicely with warlocks being the folks that make bargains to get the cheat sheats to magical power.

In our ongoing campaign world, a warlock can change a patron - tho depending on the patron the repercussions range from disgruntled ex-cultists to Jihad levels of vengeance seeking. That is to say, the patrons themselves may or may not hold beef (its assumed they're scheming/powerplaying amongst themselves, regardless). Rather, their worldly representatives are the ones who take it upon themselves to express their patron's annoyance/rage.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
For those interested in helping me build the rules for a custom patron: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?637097-Topaz-Dragon-as-a-Warlock-Patron

I really like this. Ties in nicely with warlocks being the folks that make bargains to get the cheat sheats to magical power.

In our ongoing campaign world, a warlock can change a patron - tho depending on the patron the repercussions range from disgruntled ex-cultists to Jihad levels of vengeance seeking. That is to say, the patrons themselves may or may not hold beef (its assumed they're scheming/powerplaying amongst themselves, regardless). Rather, their worldly representatives are the ones who take it upon themselves to express their patron's annoyance/rage.

Thank you.

Seeing how the Krakens are at war with the Yellow city, and this is where the characters live... there could be revenge attempts

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
You're going to have pay back your remaining balance, plus a MAJOR cancellation fee.

Remove ads