Darkvision: Don't forget the Disadvantage & limitations!

Dim light does not reduce passive perception.
You can still hear. So even if you might not see the threat, you might still notice it. Now it is possible that you are not surpised but the enemy is still invisible.

So if your pp is 14 and the enemy rolls 11 on its stealth check, you roll initiative and if your initiative is higher than the enemy's you can act and might use dancing light. Now you also see ghe enemy.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Disadvantage on Perception checks is still way better than being blind, but it does give a reason to carry a light source regardless, which means normal people won't feel quite so left out.

Having disadvantage on perception checks in darkness isn't a drawback compared to automatically missing visual cues because you're blind in the dark.

Still beats automatically failing all stealth attempts and being noticed even around corners or from miles away
Right. Which is why I wrote: "I think the main problem is that by ignoring this, darkvision kicks the crap outta human sight even more than it should." Still beats normal vision, but not nearly as much as it does if you forget the whole Disadvantage on Wisdom (perception) sight rolls.

Dim light does not reduce passive perception.
You can still hear. So even if you might not see the threat, you might still notice it. Now it is possible that you are not surpised but the enemy is still invisible.

So if your pp is 14 and the enemy rolls 11 on its stealth check, you roll initiative and if your initiative is higher than the enemy's you can act and might use dancing light. Now you also see ghe enemy.
Oh, right! Should have been more specific in my first post. I'll fix that. Thanks for bringing that up!

What brought it to the front of my mind was that I was listening to Critical Role on my commute to work and back when Mr. Mercer brings up that he tends to forget about such things with Darkvision. Which made me realize that for about the first year of playing 5e with my all dwarf group that I'd definitely been forgetting it. Once I started using it, dungeons and such became way more dangerous.

It also dawned on me that races that live underground that rely on Darkvision would have designed ways of hiding things to Darkvision that can only be revealed by having a light source. Sort of like special paints that are too subtle under Darkvision to perceive while being noticeable under light. Which also had my dwarf party sparking up dim light Dwarven Torches.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Too many people including Critical Role's Matt Mercer (who is often used as an example of an excellent DM) by his own admission tend to forget the drawbacks of darkvision. Namely that perceptions rolls with Darkvision are at disadvantage. Which is huge when traipsing through a trap/creature infested dungeons..
On the contrary, I believe any rule as frequently forgotten about or ignored as this one is bad and should be removed.

Much better to reinstate low-light vision to the game (elves, gnomes, owls) and have Darkvision work the way people intuitively think it works.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The best fix for darkvision, by far imo, is to turn it into low light vision instead. When only monsters see naturally in the dark, the game is better for it.

Remove ads