X & O For More Fun

The main purpose of RPGs is to have fun but ensuring that everyone enjoys themselves is tricky. First you have to agree on a game, then a play style. A dozen or more things after that can make or ruin a game. John Stavropoulos created an elegant solution to a common fun killer by creating the X-Card.

Whether a GM is running a store-bought adventure or their own campaign, no GM is a mind reader. It's also impossible for other players to guess what will turn an exciting time into a major turn-off for their group. Instead of forcing a GM (or the other players) to guess what may or may not work as fun, a simple card with a big X on it is placed in the center of the game table. If something goes too far for someone's comfort threshold, they simply tap the card and the game moves on from that thing. If you're not clear what caused the X-Card to be tapped, a short break is called while the GM confers with the player. Because the player doesn't have to defend or justify the card being invoked, it avoids hurt feelings and increases fun and safety.

While people assume using the X-Card stifles creativity, the opposite is true. A GM running a Delta Green or World of Darkness adventure is liberated to plan whatever scenario or evocative description they like, knowing that their players easily maintain their enjoyment. No mind reading is needed.

While the X-Card is often associated with story games or indie RPGs, I've had them invoked the most in D&D games. While running Tales of the Yawning Portal last year a player of mine tapped the X-Card when the players hit a bug-infested area. Later he explained that while fixing some wiring earlier that day (he's an electrician) he had to go into a crawlspace that was infested with bugs, and it had skeeved him out. This was a guy I've GM'd for years. He had never indicated an issue with bugs before so I couldn't have guessed that on that particular day he'd be bothered. A month later, it wasn't an issue.

The X-Card also makes convention games better. It's impossible for a GM or players to guess what strangers will like.

During a game a few years ago, two players were arguing in character. One guy said, “That plan is suicide. You might want to die, but I don't.” Sounds like a typical argument, right? What none of us knew was that the other guy had had a family member commit suicide recently. By tapping the card and saying “no suicide comments” (so we'd understand the issue) the game and in-character argument continued with a pause of only a few seconds. He didn't have to feel embarrassed or awkward or explain more, though after the game I overheard him mentioning it to a casual friend in the same game.

On the flip side, Kira Scott created its counterpart, the O-Card. It works the same way as the X-Card except it signals “more of this, please.”

As a GM, have you ever wondered if players were enjoying a specific sequence or aspect of a game? By using the O-Card, you don't have to guess. If it's invoked, you know the banquet scene that is all role-playing doesn't have to be rushed or next time, add more word puzzles for the players to solve.

Safety tools provide an easy way to ensure everyone enjoys the game, and the GM doesn't to guess about what is and isn't working.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Mallus

Legend
Out of curiosity, how many people here have direct experience using tools like the X-Card? Did they help? Harm? Do nothing or something else?

With a topic like this, it's pretty easy to get lost in yet another skirmish along the Empathy Front of the seemingly endless Western Culture Wars.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
@pemerton -
while not exactly the same, I have had players object in league play about being triggered by other players' dialogue. Interrupting them, in order to demand the scene end. Essentially, attempting to use a not extant at my table X-card to end scenes they weren't in because of their own choice to split from the party. The players at that table who happen to have major anxiety issues complained about the whinger - because the several times it was done were times where the party was split by the complainer. In one case, the nature of the complainer's desired scene was MORE offensive to the rest of the party - they were uninvited by the store, as they did the same kind of whinging at others tables. (This was during HotDQ.)

What was the gist of the other players' dialogue that "triggered" the complaining player? It is difficult to assess the reasonableness without knowing what the other players were saying.

This is an understandable take on it.

Now....if only there was a clear and simple visual cue that could be implemented that could help the average player or GM navigate such a scenario....

I think my suggestion is that maybe if you've reached the point where the visual queue is needed then a breakdown in communication (and understanding) has already failed.

Worth noting though that I am not arguing this is not a good tool for tables with unknowns (like convention games) where it may not be possible to establish precedent/understanding in advance.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think my suggestion is that maybe if you've reached the point where the visual queue is needed then a breakdown in communication (and understanding) has already failed.

Worth noting though that I am not arguing this is not a good tool for tables with unknowns (like convention games) where it may not be possible to establish precedent/understanding in advance.

Yes, absolutely. My comment was more of a joke than anything. I think that public games and convention games are likely the only place where this type of thing may be handy. In a home game amongst friends, if it’s needed then there are bigger problems.

S'mon

Legend
I think there may be a place for this in some games, a less of this/more of that thing, but it seems like it's easy to misuse. I think generally having an appropriate film-style age rating for the game according to regular community standards is the best approach - I don't want to go into a D&D game and find out the GM is doing The Human Centipede - and give some indication where the iffy stuff might lie (sex, gore, horror, & slavery seem like four obvious ones on current standards). I guess being trapped with a bunch of crawling spiders comes under horror, but the mere presence of a spider seems like something that shouldn't be voidable.

I guess being trapped with a bunch of crawling spiders comes under horror, but the mere presence of a spider seems like something that shouldn't be voidable.
I mean, anything is voidable. You're the DM. You can decide what does and does not appear. The question comes down to, when a player says, "Hey, no spiders please", do you say "Okay" or "No"?

S'mon

Legend
I mean, anything is voidable. You're the DM. You can decide what does and does not appear. The question comes down to, when a player says, "Hey, no spiders please", do you say "Okay" or "No"?

I meant voidable by player tapping an X card.

"I have a phobia of ancient red dragons..." :D

aramis erak

Legend
What was the gist of the other players' dialogue that "triggered" the complaining player? It is difficult to assess the reasonableness without knowing what the other players were saying.

Nothing that rose to any level of offensive to a reasonable person. Including no one else in earshot. Simply put, and this is several years gone by, the person was abusing the rules of AL in an attempt to cut others "screen time" when they didn't go with said player's plan, and said player removed themself from the scene, then tried to cut the majority's scene short.

AFAICT, the trigger was about the level of "They won't do what I want them to" temper tantrum. Banning them (done by the store's AL coordinator) was for the common good. (They'd been disruptive the prior week, at someone else's table.)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases