Microscope and Beyond

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay, so we will move on to Step 3 of the Game Setup. This is called THE PALETTE.

There are two columns in the Palette: YES and NO.

1) Each player can add one thing, either a Yes or No. Add something to the Yes column if you think the other players would not expect it to be in the history, but you want to be able to include it. Add something to the No column if you think the other players would expect it to be in the history, but you don’t want it included. Players can go in any order. You don’t have to add anything to the Palette if you don’t want to.

2) If every player did add something (either a Yes or No), repeat step 1: each player has the option to go again. If someone opted not to add something, stop: your Palette is done. In the end, no player will have added two things more than anyone else.

If there is any disagreement about what gets added to either list, we will pause and discuss/negotiate about it. No one should be unhappy about the Palette. The Palette is your last chance to freely negotiate and build group consensus about your history. Your choices tell the other players what kind of game you want to play, helping you avoid bad surprises and misunderstandings later on. If there’s a big disagreement about the kind of things you want in your history, now’s the time to find out and talk about it.

If something is in the Yes column, then during the rest of the game it’s okay to introduce it into the history even if it doesn’t seem like it fits. You’ve all agreed it belongs.

If something is in the No column, it’s never okay to bring into the game, no matter what. You’ve all agreed it’s not part of the history.

You don't HAVE to end up using something in the YES column during play. It isn't an exhaustive list of the history. It is mostly used to include or ban things that might be expected or not expected in a setting. For example, wizards in a fantasy setting might be expected. In a sci-fi setting, they might not be.

So we will now go around and everyone put out one idea for the Palette.

Link to the brainstorming document.

Players:
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION]
[MENTION=79926]ART![/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don't quite know why, but I always have trouble figuring out what it is that we are being asked to do. So if I get it, we now pitch ideas that people vote on? If anyone votes 'no' then it (the idea) is out?

How much detail are we going for here?

tglassy

Adventurer
There's no vote. You think of something you want to eventually add, or something you really don't want, and you put it in the Yes or No pile. If there is major disagreement, you can talk about it and change your mind, but each person gets either a Yes or a No, and if everyone adds something everyone gets to go again. If one person does not add something, it stops.

So like, if I had a really good idea, like that I want there to be magic that is what helps sustain the world when the sun goes out, but I'm not sure if anyone else wants to use that, then I'd add that in the Yes pile. Then Magic is a thing on this world.

Conversely, if I wanted this to be more of a mundane game and that the world was sustained in a scientific way, I could put Magic in the No pile, and then Magic would not be allowed.

If someone really, really disagreed with me, they can make a case and we can all talk about it, and come to some kind of agreement. From what it looks like, this is the last time we can influence someone else's choices. After this, what we say on our turn has to work with what others said on turns before us. So, if on my turn I say "Rognar destroys the kingdom and kills himself", and you had plans for Rognar and the kingdom, oh well, you have to deal and work with what I gave you.

I want magic to be a thing. Doesn't matter what kind at the moment, but I'll add general "Magic Users" to the Yes list.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I was going to put "magic" in my YES slot, so imagine me nodding in approval to that.

NO...ships or structures the size of planets, thank you very much.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Fitz and Art have gone. Anyone else?

Step 3: THE PALETTE

YES NO
Magic Users Planet-sized ships or structures

Link to the brainstorming document.

Players:
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION]