Microscope and Beyond

tglassy

Adventurer
I read through it before posting.

So step one is done, and starting step 2. I've never done Microscope, so I'll need directions to be involved.

It says to pick a beginning and an ending. Are we supposed to collaborate on that, or how does this work?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I read through it before posting.

So step one is done, and starting step 2. I've never done Microscope, so I'll need directions to be involved.

It says to pick a beginning and an ending. Are we supposed to collaborate on that, or how does this work?

Yes, we all pitch in ideas on this stage for a good beginning and end point to our history. I basically cut and pasted the explanation for this step into that post. So we consider our Big Idea and figure out where we want to start and end.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm really not sure how to go about this - it just seems like too much. A beginning and an end? But we don't know anything at all yet! I mean, I get that we are supposed to make it up, but I don't feel that we even have much to go on yet.

I had *a* thought, though. If we are going with "a stellar even changed everything" - what if the sun "went out"? (Eclipsed some or all of the time) and the new situation is Darkworld.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That is true! The technomancers (or whatever) could make a big mistake by trying to reverse the sundiscs to power using darkness... only to make things worse by deepening the Shadows... and the terrible creatures that lurk within...

tglassy

Adventurer
That might be getting ahead of ourselves, though the beginning of the story could be the sun going out in the middle of a technological empire that ran on solar energy. That would make for an interesting setting.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I'm really not sure how to go about this - it just seems like too much. A beginning and an end? But we don't know anything at all yet! I mean, I get that we are supposed to make it up, but I don't feel that we even have much to go on yet.

I had *a* thought, though. If we are going with "a stellar even changed everything" - what if the sun "went out"? (Eclipsed some or all of the time) and the new situation is Darkworld.

That's a good example of a possible starting point. Anyone have any other ideas?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
That is true! The technomancers (or whatever) could make a big mistake by trying to reverse the sundiscs to power using darkness... only to make things worse by deepening the Shadows... and the terrible creatures that lurk within...

Keep that in your pocket for when we get to the meat of the game :D

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
That might be getting ahead of ourselves, though the beginning of the story could be the sun going out in the middle of a technological empire that ran on solar energy. That would make for an interesting setting.

This could be another "beginning", a kind of declaration of the technological empire, the founding or something. Some grand celebration of humanity's achievements similar to what was done in the World's Fairs.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Step 2: BOOKEND HISTORY

Your history will be divided into Periods. Each Period is a very large chunk of time, probably decades or centuries. Describe how your history begins and ends. These are your starting and ending Periods, the bookends of your history. You’ll add more Periods later on, but everything will be between these points.

1) Agree on a short description for each Period, just a few sentences or a paragraph at most, painting a clear picture of what happens during that time.

2) Decide whether each description is Light or Dark, whether what happens during that Period is generally happy or tragic. This is the Tone of each Period. The Tone of the starting and ending Period do not have to match.

You can describe either Period first, as you prefer. Sometimes it’s easier to pick Light or Dark for each Period, then see what ideas emerge.

Beginning ideas:
  • Sun goes out.
  • Declaration of man’s ascendency and greatness in the technological empire.

End ideas:

Link to the brainstorming document.

Players:
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION]
[MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION]
[MENTION=79926]ART![/MENTION]
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION]

Remove ads