The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, the Borg Queen... oops sorry, the Kaylon Prime, died.

Seven-Of-Nine... oops, sorry again...
Third-Of-Five aka Hugh (from "I, Borg"/"Descent" ST:TNG)... oops, did it again.

I am sure this "individuality" will not effect Isaac... oh gess, I guess it has.

I am also sure the Federation and the Klingon Empire (TNG) will never join forces...
Or the Federation and the Kardashians (DSN)will never join forces...

Oh wait, they both did.

And now the Union and the Krill are doing the same.

Yay, the Star Trek similarities are many.

I know they are using inspirations and writers from Star Trek, but come-on! Don't make it so obvious.

Make things more original.

It’s near the end of season 2. If you haven’t realised this show is McFarlane’s homage to TNG yet...

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah. To me, basically it's "What if a hollywood figure had enough pull to turn his Star Trek fan-fiction (compete with turning himself into the captain) into a TV show". And yet the result has been surprisingly good

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back to the distances discussion, they mentioned that it would take a month to get the Union fleet back to Earth. That definitely supports the cycle=day theory.

So did Isaac’s comment about being inactive for “.7 cycles.”

Re: Isaac’s head guns

It could be he didn’t get them until after he was returned to Kaylon. An upgrade in preparation for the attack, or perhaps a restoration to full functionality after they were removed for his covert operation inside Union space.

Re: the space battle

Aces!

Re Union/Krill team-up

I wouldn’t be surprised to see McFarlane continue down the Trek Tribute path, but there are still other options. I could see them forging a mutual nonaggression pact until the Kaylon threat is completely resolved, and then...

Because I think the continued threat of the Kaylons is the ONLY reason the Krill didn’t take advantage of their having a huge war fleet right on Earth’s doorstep while much of the Union fleet present was pretty well shot up and in disarray.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Liked the episode but the pacing may have been a little off. Kaylon not so great as big bads if the have a drastic weakness easily exploited and discovered. Their tech wasn't that great either. Usually the villains are a bit tougher for a bit longer before the heroes figure out how to wreck them.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I wasn't clear on the higher-tech thing. They didn't do anything that seemed higher-tech. They had bigger ships, was that it?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, we KNOW they shut down the Orville completely in seconds when it entered their home space, so SOME of their tech is clearly superior. Their best stuff is probably just not ship portable.

And to be fair, it was one of their own who took them down...at least on ship.

However, given modern writers extrapolating from current day tech, I’m surprised Kaylons don’t have at least a short range “wi-fi/cloud” infraspecies comm capability- one thing that keeps them from being Borg clones- and some personal hardening vs EMPs.

Ryujin

Legend
Well, we KNOW they shut down the Orville completely in seconds when it entered their home space, so SOME of their tech is clearly superior. Their best stuff is probably just not ship portable.

And to be fair, it was one of their own who took them down...at least on ship.

However, given modern writers extrapolating from current day tech, I’m surprised Kaylons don’t have at least a short range “wi-fi/cloud” infraspecies comm capability- one thing that keeps them from being Borg clones- and some personal hardening vs EMPs.

I thought about that and figured that sort of direct link would probably be considered an exploitable weakness, so not employed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Soooo...perhaps they saw Independence Day, And don’t want someone to take them down with a virus. They fear Jeff Goldblum!

Yeah. To me, basically it's "What if a hollywood figure had enough pull to turn his Star Trek fan-fiction (compete with turning himself into the captain) into a TV show". And yet the result has been surprisingly good

It doesn't happen often. But sometimes (rarely, nearly never) sometimes fan fiction is better than the source material.

Remove ads