The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The Krill religiosity reminds me of The Ori. The Ori did it better though. The Kaylon are more Dalek than Borg. The Borg wanted to assimilate everyone. The Kaylon want to kill everyone, in my mind a big difference. A short alliance with The Krill was to be expected. No other spacefaring race seems to match the Union so far. Moclans were mentioned but I doubt they would have the numbers to help, if they did it wouldn't need to be part of The Union. I'd like to see the Krill/Union conflict end kind of like the Mimbari/Earth war. That way they could pay homage to Babylon 5 also. An underappreciated show.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yay, the Star Trek similarities are many.

I know they are using inspirations and writers from Star Trek, but come-on! Don't make it so obvious.

Make things more original.

Didn't you hear the doctor at the end of the episode? They just told you!

"A cliche becomes a cliche because it bears endless repeating."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are all Union ships exactly the same shape, just different scales? I've noticed that before, and it bugs me a little. Wouldn't they have different ships of different types, built at different times, which would look different to each other? I guess it's just a budget thing - one CGI ship model which they can replicate?

It isn't so odd that they all have the same general architecture. I did not a few minor variations of elements upon the hulls.

Back to the distances discussion, they mentioned that it would take a month to get the Union fleet back to Earth. That definitely supports the cycle=day theory.

The scene where they wake up Issac may suggest otherwise. He says he was out for 7.5 cycles? Or was it Danny's 0.7 cycles?

Do all Kaylons except Isaac have red eyes? Was Isaac always able to do the head guns?

I am pretty sure that, as far as we saw, Issac's the only one in blue. And I don't think we've ever seen his head-guns before, but they did seem a slightly different design.

It could be generational - maybe most of the Kaylons we have seen are pre-genocide. Or he's purpose-built for the mission they game him, so he's a bit different.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So did Isaac’s comment about being inactive for “.7 cycles.”

I thought I heard 7.5 cycles, but I wouldn't swear to it. If you're correct, then yeah, a cycle is a day.

Re Union/Krill team-up

I wouldn’t be surprised to see McFarlane continue down the Trek Tribute path, but there are still other options. I could see them forging a mutual nonaggression pact until the Kaylon threat is completely resolved, and then...

Because I think the continued threat of the Kaylons is the ONLY reason the Krill didn’t take advantage of their having a huge war fleet right on Earth’s doorstep while much of the Union fleet present was pretty well shot up and in disarray.

We saw a lot of Krill ships get shot up, too. If they took losses heavy enough, taking on the Union fleet without having forces left to hold and take the planet?
Bad move.

Plus, the Krill captain made it pretty clear that he felt they were called together to fight this once *for a reason*, and he wasn't sure what that reason was. If you aren't sure exactly what your god wants, you do the obvious thing... and don't go beyond that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do all Kaylons except Isaac have red eyes? Was Isaac always able to do the head guns?

A number of them had orange eyes. I couldn't get a feel for why some were orange and some red, but only Isaac was blue. I did think for a moment as they were carrying a dozen Kaylon bodies off of the bridge that they had best be careful and not forget which one is Isaac.

My big "Really!?" moment was when the Kaylon, who are supposed to be a bazillion times smarter than biologicals, tell the crew that they will all be killed and then threaten to kill them if they don't help kill everyone else. I mean, didn't any of them think that just maybe that would just make the biologicals dig in their heels, because "What the hell, we're going to be killed anyway."?

All in all, though, I loved the episode. Not as much as Part 1, but it was still a very good ending in my opinion.

Remove ads