WOIN WOIN XP and advancement when grades are not the same across the party
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)



    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    64

    WOIN XP and advancement when grades are not the same across the party

    The Advancement section of N.E.W. (and the other WOIN rule books) suggests that GMs should give out XP in multiples of the character's current grade (when using "fast" advancement mode at least). For instance, a hard fight (or two medium challenges) should reward everyone involved with double their grade in XP. I think this is slightly problematic if the characters end up at different grade levels.

    I would suggest that rewards for any given encounter (or session of encounters or milestones) should be based off one grade level for the whole party. It doesn't really matter if that's the highest grade level among the characters or the lowest, or some kind of median or average. Just so long as the party-wide XP rewards are the same for everyone.

    Here's my reasoning:

    Under the current system, if one character is ahead of another character by one session or more worth of XP, they'll tend to stay that same number of sessions ahead forever, even as the amount of XP per session increases as the party gets to higher grades. The reason is that the character with more XP will tend to level up sooner, and so by the rules in the book, they'll also earn more XP in the sessions where the two characters have different grades.

    For example, if one character has just advanced to level 6, they'll earn 18 XP from a session that included 3 medium difficulty challenges (or the equivalent). Another who's one session behind them will only be at grade 5, so they'll only earn 15 XP (and level up at the end of the session). But there's a difference of 3 XP between what the two characters earned. That's exactly the difference between one session at grade 5 and one session at grade 6, so the two characters remain exactly one session apart.

    On the other hand, if the XP reward was the same for the whole party, the grade 5 and grade 6 characters would both get either 15 or 18 XP, and so the difference in XP between them would remain the same in absolute terms. As the characters level up though, that constant XP difference will shrink relative to the XP reward per session. By the time they reach grade 10, what was a full session's difference at grade 5 will have been reduced to half a session, and the two characters are much more likely to advance at the same time (i.e. at the end of the same session).

    What do you guys think? Should their be even more mechanical effort to make parties spanning several grades better able to converge? Or should it just be left up to the GM to fudge things to make it better?

  2. #2
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    97
    Your argument is very clear and there are valid reason for giving a single range of XP to the entire party. But going back to your illustration, why would one PC get more XP than another? (resulting in a quicker level up). It is because that character did some exceptional, e.g. solved a puzzle, planning, taking the lead, saved the day etc.

    For myself, rewarding that player with bonus XP is a very strong reward and incentive for everyone else to try to help the party in what ever way they can. People who sit back and let the game happen would still get XP, but no bonuses.

    If a player is falling behind they may need to try take the initiative in solving a problem. Putting themselves in the drivers seat.
    Competition is a great motivator on the table and off the table, but as the GM make sure that competitiveness isn't ruining someone else's gameplay.

  3. #3
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Baden-WŘrttemburg
    Posts
    33
    One problem with promoting healthy competition between players is that some players don't want to compete. We've all had that one player that never really wants to take the lead in party activities, and is perfectly happy to just be part of the group and follow along with what the rest of the group is doing. I think that if this player feels forced into the driver's seat, whether actively or passively, this comes at the cost of their enjoyment of the game.

  4. #4
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    97
    What you say is 100% true. That's why we have to be picky with groups that we join, groups that have the same attitude to gameplay as we ourselves do and when we don't, it's finding that middle ground. E.g. giving the entire party a set amount of XP for each task and then, rewarding an individual player each session of play.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by daniiren View Post
    One problem with promoting healthy competition between players is that some players don't want to compete.
    It's called life, you have no choice but to compete. Asking the better players to carry the weaker players is communism.
    Find me at https://www.patreon.com/FutureFantasy

  6. #6
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by David Applegate View Post
    It's called life, you have no choice but to compete. Asking the better players to carry the weaker players is communism.
    Weird....

  7. #7
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Baden-WŘrttemburg
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by David Applegate View Post
    It's called life
    No, it's not. We're playing a game, and the objective is to enjoy ourselves. A group where one person's fun comes at the expense of another's is an entirely untenable situation, and the role of the GM is to make sure that everyone is having a good time. We generally play RPGs precisely because it is not real life.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by daniiren View Post
    A group where one person's fun comes at the expense of another's is an entirely untenable situation
    Exactly my point. But seems you just want to please everyone regardless of effort, and merit.
    Find me at https://www.patreon.com/FutureFantasy

  9. #9
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Baden-WŘrttemburg
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by David Applegate View Post
    Exactly my point.
    I think we're coming at the same point from different sides. The GM should make sure that everyone in the group is having fun. They should do this by either adjusting the game or adjusting the group. Having two murder-hobo power gamers and two players who are more interested in character development and narrative will not end well, because there's not a whole lot of overlap between what those players enjoy.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Applegate View Post
    But seems you just want to please everyone regardless of effort, and merit.
    Not entirely true. The more people having fun, the better it is. However, no one should have to bend over backwards to make this happen. If it's possible to get more people to enjoy themselves by making minor concessions, I don't see the issue with this, but at the point where someone is having to make major concessions, you should think about restructuring your group.

  10. #10
    I am all for character development, and that is actually effort, and in my book a big part of the game.
    Find me at https://www.patreon.com/FutureFantasy

Similar Threads

  1. [WOIN] Health Advancement
    By Elijah Whateley in forum EN Publishing, WOIN, ZEITGEIST, WotBS, & Worlds of 2000AD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, 21st December, 2017, 02:00 PM
  2. EONS #41: Premum Non Nocere (a sci-fi adventure for grades 10+)
    By Morrus in forum EN Publishing, WOIN, ZEITGEIST, WotBS, & Worlds of 2000AD
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Thursday, 9th February, 2017, 12:39 AM
  3. WOIN 3rd Party Products
    By capmarvel in forum EN Publishing, WOIN, ZEITGEIST, WotBS, & Worlds of 2000AD
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Saturday, 24th September, 2016, 09:16 AM
  4. Dice Pools, Grades, and Difficulties
    By Primitive Screwhead in forum EN Publishing, WOIN, ZEITGEIST, WotBS, & Worlds of 2000AD
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Thursday, 28th April, 2016, 11:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •