D&D 5E Best monster for "cleaning up" dead bodies..

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
How does one transport a gelatinous cube? In case they ask how the cultists got it to a manor. I like the simplicity of having them open the door and there is just a big jelly in their face. :eek:

But otyugh might be better from a story perspective since they are easier to transport.
You’d just have to build a shipping container out of a material the cube doesn’t corrode. Metal, stone, anything inorganic should work. Then add a rust monster or a gray ooze (transported in a wooden container) to clean up your victims’ metal equipment.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I vote otyugh. It's a classic monster and ticks all the boxes for your scenario so far as I can tell.

I recommend naming it "Gurgle," and the churn of its stomach can be heard from a good distance away. If the PCs are of much lower level than this monster, I'd also suggest putting it in an area of the adventure location that is off the beaten path and isn't necessary for the characters to explore to complete their quest. Kind of like an optional side encounter with terrain that works against the PCs and for the otyugh, perhaps down a spiked chute and into a chamber with knee-deep putrescence that is difficult terrain to Medium-sized creatures. Injury in this place invites disease. Somewhere in the muck hides a noteworthy treasure that the cultists overlooked.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Funny how many of the iconic original monsters were all designed for dungeon clean up duty. Slimes, jellies, gelatinous cube, rust monster, carrion crawler, etc...

I guess with all these wannabe adventurer heroes around, there was a demand from the dungeon inhabitants ;)

aco175

Legend
If you are in Waterdeep, then you can use Stump Bog just upstream of the city. Its description says many people dispose of bodies there. My current campaign just found a bunch of them while in the bog. Of course they were undead by now.

For monsters, the cube works great, but you could also just use wolves or dogs or something like drakes. I'm picturing one of those movies where the cops come over and the BBEG invites them to have a 'burger'.

That_DM_Lady

First Post
Fun suggestion: a lazy troll. He might be upset that his source of food is gone... but the PCs may placate him by feeding him the dead cultists :) .

Welcome to EN world!

I LOVE this! It gives them the option to fight or negotiate. And I can make him particularly lazy if the party isn't doing well hp wise since it's at the end of the scenario. Thank you!

That_DM_Lady

First Post
I can move it for you. No problem.

Thanks for your help!

You’d just have to build a shipping container out of a material the cube doesn’t corrode. Metal, stone, anything inorganic should work. Then add a rust monster or a gray ooze (transported in a wooden container) to clean up your victims’ metal equipment.

Great idea! I wonder, can gelatinous cubes start out smaller or did they appear in the world that massive?

I vote otyugh. It's a classic monster and ticks all the boxes for your scenario so far as I can tell.

I recommend naming it "Gurgle," and the churn of its stomach can be heard from a good distance away. If the PCs are of much lower level than this monster, I'd also suggest putting it in an area of the adventure location that is off the beaten path and isn't necessary for the characters to explore to complete their quest. Kind of like an optional side encounter with terrain that works against the PCs and for the otyugh, perhaps down a spiked chute and into a chamber with knee-deep putrescence that is difficult terrain to Medium-sized creatures. Injury in this place invites disease. Somewhere in the muck hides a noteworthy treasure that the cultists overlooked.

Haha I love that. I'm afraid if I make it too cute some of the players might not want to kill it Then we'd be stuck with an otyugh pet.. which might be hilarious.

If you are in Waterdeep, then you can use Stump Bog just upstream of the city. Its description says many people dispose of bodies there. My current campaign just found a bunch of them while in the bog. Of course they were undead by now.

For monsters, the cube works great, but you could also just use wolves or dogs or something like drakes. I'm picturing one of those movies where the cops come over and the BBEG invites them to have a 'burger'.

Oh, I haven't hear of stump bog. Which book is it in, or is it an older edition?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases