Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Revised Artificer

The Artificer Returns, and it's a better Beast Master than the Beast Master

ICYMI, enjoy! It's got two new subclasses, new spells, and some tweaks to multiclassing. Plus, you know, typos.

Now to the meat of the matter. The Battle Smith. Everyone's better at having pets than the poor Beast Master Ranger. Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
My only critique would be that level 7 is strangely empty. No new feature, increase to spellcasting is minor gaining an additional 2nd level slot. You learn an additional infusion, but the number of active infusions remains the same and the level requirement on the better infusions seems to be 8th level so it's not a real power increase. They could probably fit a feature in at the base class as currently there are no base class features between 5th and 10th level.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Now with tiny servant, and the ability to "flavor/describe" your spells, I look forward to the iron defender acting like a mothership, deploying swarms of tiny servants.

They obviously believe a +1d6 damage magic weapon in the hands of the artificer themself is not as powerful as a +1 to-hit / +1d4 damage magic weapon in the hands of another PC. Especially considering the artificer is more likely to lose concentration on it when they are the ones in melee taking the hits.

Seems like they may have forgotten that bard (or magic initiate, if artificer is allowed like it should be) can snag this for non-artificers.

Stalker0

Legend
Overall the class looks pretty good to me. I’ll admit it does feel like 3 pet classes, they all are good but I don’t really see a pet less artificer here like the article mentioned

Yaarel

He Mage
I expect there will be a lot of room for personalized style in the flavor text for your PC's pet. A High Elf's artistic melding of metal and wood won't be the same as a Rock Gnome's gear powered mechanism will differ from a Mountain Dwarf's animated stone construct.

Fair enough. I would expect the artifice of an Elf to look more ‘organic’ and less ‘architectural’.

Still, I would want some feature that made it clearly artifice − maybe elemental, like skin appearing as sculpted stone, eyes gemmy, hair gold thread or fiery.

Yaarel

He Mage
I worry about Artificer being a half-caster, and being subpar at the highest tier.

Any thoughts about how, say, a level 17 Artificer compares to other classes?

Kurotowa

Legend
Send the AM into the dungeon whilst the party wait in a safe location outside. It can kill anything that isn't immune to psionics at no risk to the party (slowly and boringly). Whist it can't pass through objects, it has no size, so there is nothing to prevent it passing through keyholes or under doors. It has a range of 300 feet, which is large enough for most dungeons.

On the one hand, yes there's a powerful trick there. Displace your senses, send the AM out, zap things safely. OTOH, there are limits. First, I'd hotly debate the "can slip through gaps of any shape or size" ruling. The ban on being able to pass through objects seems there specifically to prevent those shenanigans. The text says it manifests as a Tiny creature and that's what I'd stick to. Also, the AM is limited to 30ft of movement a round. Anything but the slowest creatures can Move-Dash to get away from it.

I like how they made a third level spell a first level:

Which is VERY similar to Elemental Weapon

The better comparisons are Hex and Hunter's Mark, both of which are first level spells. They're all variations on a specific effect.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases