D&D 5E Consensus about two-weapon fighting?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Those examples are just as background dependent though, so I'm not sure how they're different, or better. Perhaps suggest an alternative rather than just giving me your opinion about why it wouldn't work? My main point there was that there are ways to make social interaction not wholly dependent on CHA, and that particular example fits that idea for a lot of generic fighter builds and whatnot, and that fits the stated goal of broadening the fighter class to include other stuff. If you;ve got other ideas, lay them on us.

Last edited:

If all you compare is one fighter's attack action vs another fighter's attack action, you have eliminated like 99.99999% of the factors in play in a combat and so any conclusions judgements have practically no value in terms of an assessment over which class does more damage?

You make this too easy when your last paragraph is a perfect proof of my point about assumptions and "non-quantifiable factors" and the flaws of claims to objectivity of white room warrior fu.

If you want to look at comparing how much damage beyond just the fighter attack action, say to rogue or pally and disadvantages etc then you run into factors like say how precision attack applies after the die/dice are rolled, how disadvantage doesnt just make the roll worst for the rogue but also cancels any chance at sneak damage even if they hit, etc.

"Your "non-quantifiable factors" really aren't relevant."

QED.

Objectively speaking, that is.
I wasn't comparing one Fighter to another Fighter. You are arguing in bad faith, to the point you're even making any sense at all.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think he's right about divine smite and action surge. It's just he's conceniently excluding superiority dice as well...

Any Paladin gets smite, only one fighter gets superiority dice and is front loaded/ best fighter to around level 15.

Last edited:

I think he's right about divine smite and action surge. It's just he's conceniently excluding superiority dice as well...
I mean, if all he's doing with Action Surge is being lazy and merely doubling his base DPR, then maybe. That's just never what happens on an Action Surge turn in all my experiences.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That is absolutely false.

Wrong, it is pretty simple math: (at 20th-level, assuming Improved Divine Smite still caps smites at 5d8, some tables play it increases it to 6d8, but whatever...)

4 smites for 3d8 = 4 x 13.5 avg = 54
3 smites for 4d8 = 3 x 18 avg = 54
8 (3 + 3 + 2) smites for 5d8 = 8 x 22.5 avg = 180

54 + 54 + 180 = 288 hp of damage on average. Oh, and MOST importantly, this is added AFTER the hit so it is guaranteed damage and NOT affected by the 60% hit probability like Sneak Attack.

Even with 6 action surges at 20th-level, with an average damage of 27.6 hp each (from the table earlier), the total boost the Fighter gets is 165.6.

288 - 165.6 = 122.4. Looks to be more than 100 to me. :)

Now, perhaps you meant "That is absolutely false." to my stating at most 3 action surges? If so, my apologies, you are absolutely correct I was mistaken since the greatest number of action surges a character can get is in fact 6 (which was used in my above calculation).

Every Paladin gets divine smite regardless of archetype, not every Fighter get's superiority dice.

If you are using it for Lunging attack, and thus adding the dice as damage, you get 18 x 6.5 = 117. But when you multiply that by the 0.6 hit probability, it is 70.2. A nice boost, but not enough to make up the difference.

I recall you mentioned Precision Attack before, in which case we'll assume it will turn 18 "misses" into hits, thus increasing damage from 6.9 expected to the full 11.5, the difference being 4.6 per use. Then you have 4.6 x 18 = 82.8, better than Lunging attack. However, if you want to argue all the damage should be added instead of simply the difference, you get a huge boost of 207, but I don't think the logic is right in that. I could be wrong, it is early and wrapping my head around it before coffee isn't probably the best idea. LOL

I mean, if all he's doing with Action Surge is being lazy and merely doubling his base DPR, then maybe. That's just never what happens on an Action Surge turn in all my experiences.

LOL really? Then what does happen? Action surge allows a full attack action with all the extra attacks included, so at 20th-level it allows 8 attacks. If you're playing with Action Surge differently, maybe you should tell the rest of us how. ;)

Last edited:

Wrong, it is pretty simple math: (at 20th-level, assuming Improved Divine Smite still caps smites at 5d8, some tables play it increases it to 6d8, but whatever...)

4 smites for 3d8 = 4 x 13.5 avg = 54
3 smites for 4d8 = 3 x 18 avg = 54
8 (3 + 3 + 2) smites for 5d8 = 8 x 22.5 avg = 180

54 + 54 + 180 = 288 hp of damage on average. Oh, and MOST importantly, this is added AFTER the hit so it is guaranteed damage and NOT affected by the 60% hit probability like Sneak Attack.

Even with 6 action surges at 20th-level, with an average damage of 27.6 hp each (from the table earlier), the total boost the Fighter gets is 165.6.

288 - 165.6 = 122.4. Looks to be more than 100 to me. :)

Now, perhaps you meant "That is absolutely false." to my stating at most 3 action surges? If so, my apologies, you are absolutely correct I was mistaken since the greatest number of action surges a character can get is in fact 6 (which was used in my above calculation).
Improved Divine Smite does NOT add 1d8 to the spell slot you are using for the Smite. It just adds to your regular weapon hits. This was clarified in the most recent errata. Do try to keep up.

So at 20th level, it's really 4*9 + 3*13.5 + 3*18 + 5*22.5 = 243

243. Not nearly what you were trying to sell with your inaccurate depiction of what IDS does.

The difference between Smite total and base-level Action Surge, before Superiority Dice, is therefore 77.4.

Every Paladin gets divine smite regardless of archetype, not every Fighter get's superiority dice.

It comes close, though. Assuming you are using it for Lunging attack anyway, and thus adding the dice as damage, you get 18 x 6.5 = 117. So, very close to making up the 122.4 difference Divine Smite has over Action Surge.
After correcting your misunderstanding of IDS, the Fighter comes out ahead by roughly 30 points.

And that's not even factoring in the Fighter's base DPR (27.6) being quite a bit more than the Paladin's (19.2).

LOL really? Then what does happen? Action surge allows a full attack action with all the extra attacks included, so at 20th-level it allows 8 attacks. If you're playing with Action Surge differently, maybe you should tell the rest of us how. ;)
Action Surge turns are usually when you do things like use Trip Attack on your first hit to get advantage on your other attacks (hence increasing damage). It's also when you're most likely to use Precision Attack on narrow misses. Or pile on Superiority Dice on all your hits.

It's called frontloading damage all into one round. Fighters do that better than anyone.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Improved Divine Smite does NOT add 1d8 to the spell slot you are using for the Smite. It just adds to your regular weapon hits. This was clarified in the most recent errata. Do try to keep up.

Improved Divine Smite
By 11th level, you are so suffused with righteous might that all your melee weapon strikes carry divine power with them. Whenever you hit a creature with a melee weapon, the creature takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage. (DELETED: If you also use your Divine Smite with an attack, you add this damage to the extra damage of your Divine Smite.)

Removing the italicized sentence in no way implies you don't combine DS with IDS (if that is your thought). If the two were meant to be non-complementary, the errata would have stated so, but then that nearly defeats the purpose of IDS in most games IMO since many tables have so few combats between rests and at 11th-level or higher Paladins routinely add DS to their attacks. That doesn't mean they don't get to also add IDS since it applies to every hit.

You realize this actually improves Paladins? Yes, it adds to your regular weapon attacks, that was always understood, but with the errata it means you can add the full 5d8's for Divine Strike even more often since IDS isn't imposing the cap prematurely. I suppose that is why some tables do use the full 6d8 (5d8 + 1d8 IDS).

Now, what is REALLY happening is because of the IDS, you get the extra d8 all the time. I'm not factoring that in at all, just in the instances when DS is used. Strictly speaking, if you want to argue that I shouldn't be, then certainly I will agree that DS alone is only a 77.4 point increase, not over 100. However, I will continue to contend that since at 20th-level, IDS is always in use, it adds even more, bringing it to over 100 when DS is used. Perhaps at this point it is simply a matter of perspective.

Either way, DS ends up beating the pants off of action surge in raw damage potential between long rests: DS 243 vs. AS 165.6, even without IDS factored in.

Action Surge turns are usually when you do things like use Trip Attack on your first hit to get advantage on your other attacks (hence increasing damage). It's also when you're most likely to use Precision Attack on narrow misses. Or pile on Superiority Dice on all your hits.

It's called frontloading damage all into one round. Fighters do that better than anyone.

I am not arguing the benefits of Action Surge for frontloading, or denying Fighters can do that better. Of course, if the Paladin hits with both attacks, his average DS frontloading is actually better than a Fighter at 20th-level, but I digress. I don't know what you mean by "pile on Superiority Dice on all your hits." since I'm not aware of any Battlemaster ability that allows you to add your dice as damage after the hit has been determined. Admittedly, I don't play Battlemasters really so I could easily be missing some maneuver that does allow this.

At any rate, you are still implying a Battlemaster build, which is only one archetype of Fighter. By default, the assumed standard archetype is actually Champion in the OGL. And I am not including any of the features Paladin archetypes would add so I wouldn't concern myself with what Battlemaster adds.

What you should be arguing, really, is that due to the additional attack extra attack provides, a 20th-level Fighter will outstrip a 20th-level Paladin (even with IDS) by 8.4 hp of damage per round. So, once AS is gone and DS have been used up, the Fighter will consistently deal out more damage than the Paladin. In less than 10 rounds after DS is gone, the Fighter's cumulative damage between long rests exceeds the Paladin's.

So, who is better at dealing damage really comes down to how many rounds of combat you have between long rests (allowing for two short rest, of course). With quick combats allowing short rests in between, a Fighter will prevail. In moderate combats without short rests or less often, the Paladin with DS is superior, and in several combats (with or without short rests really), the Fighter eventually takes over again.

This is why I am not a fan of white room analysis, too much depends on the way a table plays and when and how quickly features such as AS and DS can be used. Finally, we have digressed from the OP about TWF fighting long enough. If you feel compelled to continue the discussion, maybe a new thread?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases