D&D General Gamer Stats From White Dwarf in the 80s

Phil on Twitter has posted a few interesting stats from White Dwarf back in the 80s. These include what games were being played in 1987, and a letter about male/female ratios in the same era. Short version: mainly D&D, very few women.

Phil on Twitter has posted a few interesting stats from White Dwarf back in the 80s. These include what games were being played in 1987, and a letter about male/female ratios in the same era. Short version: mainly D&D, very few women.

D-S_wTcXoAAMjza.jpg

"Fascinating stuff - what RPGs were being played in the UK in 1987 ... T&T higher than you might've thought. Indiana Jones too!"

D-TBq04WsAUV-ao.jpg

"I know people say women have always been in gaming, and that's true. But this single stat highlights why for many of us seeing a female gamer in the wild was unheard of until the Masquerade began to change things... Average readership of White Dwarf in 1987 was 16.08... Which means they'd now be 48"

Sacrosanct

Legend
umm... but technically Candy Crush *is* a video game? Just like, you know... Tetris? MMORPGs are a different genre than puzzle games though. Still puzzle games are often first steps to get into the bigger world of gaming ;)

I know it's technically a video game, but when people talk about video gamers, they're typically talking about people who play on a console or PC that are dedicated bigger budget games, not apps. A whole lot of people implied that "48% of gamers are women" meant that half of all people playing Call of Duty, or Skyrim, or Madden 2k, or WoW were women. And that's not remotely true. There are more women than before, most certainly, but not half. The results when they broke it down by game type bore that out pretty clearly.

Zardnaar

Legend
I know it's technically a video game, but when people talk about video gamers, they're typically talking about people who play on a console or PC that are dedicated bigger budget games, not apps. A whole lot of people implied that "48% of gamers are women" meant that half of all people playing Call of Duty, or Skyrim, or Madden 2k, or WoW were women. And that's not remotely true. There are more women than before, most certainly, but not half. The results when they broke it down by game type bore that out pretty clearly.

Still a game though. Men and Women tend to like different types of games.

When we do online grand strategy games 30 odd players normally 0 women . Sometimes there might be one. They're welcome to play but micromanaging religion, economics,politics, armies, leaders etc is a very niche audience.

You get some crossover in some genres like Minecraft which my niece plays. My wife likes Dragon Age andcSkyrim I like Fallout 4 which she won't play. She also likes Nintendo along with her sister.

Another big problem for D&D is it's an American designed game. That means it's going to have a very limited appeal outside of the USA, UK and the Commonwealth countries. Before anyone gets upset Monopoly is an American game and something like Settlers is not.

Let's face it it's a game where you go around and kill things. Even in 5E each class had a certain amount of built in combat ability. What defines the game is also going to limit it's appeal.

Alot of newvDMs also don't really know how to run games outside of LMoP etc. It takes a while to figure out how to run different styles of games. I can add hoc a 0 combat adventure and make it fun such as my Great Magnimar Yacht Race.

But I also got to use the AD&D traps, puzzles and B/X exploration adventures along with Kingmaker in Pathfinder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lylandra

Adventurer
It also depends heavily on the type of strategy. One of the many games I'm playing is a fantasy city building browser game. Strictly PvE, so no plundering and all player-interaction is either trade or other means of cooperation. Women are so common in this game that one of our GMs regularly calls people a "she" when she doesn't know the player's gender.

What I got from the women I play with is that especially older women tend to favor cooperation over competition. They play for fun relaxation, not for "winning". Speaking of my own family, almost all women have played some sort of video game. My mom and aunts tend to stick to puzzles (mom owned a PONG console when she was younger though), cousins also puzzles and platformers, my sister loves RPGs (traditionals like FF and adventure games like Horizon), platformers and more experimental or story-driven shooters (Last of Us, Bioshock, Overwatch, Portal) while I'm generally open for all genres except modern sports games.

Oh and I can definitely understand the Monopoly being a US game. As an adult, I've never really liked it as it is highly unfair and players get excluded too early in the game. But y'know... that's kind of the point of the game's designers.

Regarding D&D, I haven't really played AL games. But at least for me, a TTRPG needs a certain amount of RP to be worthwile. Otherwise, I could just turn on my computer and play Divinity or any other story-based tactical game. These tend to be more balanced, less RNG-heavy and have flashier graphics.

Not that I don't like strategy (I still love 4e for its tactical combat) or doing combat per se, but generally speaking combat is just the laziest solution to solve problems. You disagree over something? Just smash its skull! There, it doesn't disagree anymore!

Games that are just combat after combat after combat don't satisfy me.

Venley

First Post
umm... but technically Candy Crush *is* a video game? Just like, you know... Tetris? MMORPGs are a different genre than puzzle games though. Still puzzle games are often first steps to get into the bigger world of gaming ;)

Yes, when I see folks arguing that Farmville, etc. are not worthy of being counted as video games then it feels like the same gatekeeping as in the world of rpgs. Where I have seen men who feel that unless there is crunch, it does not count. And that arriving from the improvisational theatre end is not as worthy as arriving from the wargaming end. For me, both count in rpg-land.

Zardnaar

Legend
It also depends heavily on the type of strategy. One of the many games I'm playing is a fantasy city building browser game. Strictly PvE, so no plundering and all player-interaction is either trade or other means of cooperation. Women are so common in this game that one of our GMs regularly calls people a "she" when she doesn't know the player's gender.

What I got from the women I play with is that especially older women tend to favor cooperation over competition. They play for fun relaxation, not for "winning". Speaking of my own family, almost all women have played some sort of video game. My mom and aunts tend to stick to puzzles (mom owned a PONG console when she was younger though), cousins also puzzles and platformers, my sister loves RPGs (traditionals like FF and adventure games like Horizon), platformers and more experimental or story-driven shooters (Last of Us, Bioshock, Overwatch, Portal) while I'm generally open for all genres except modern sports games.

Oh and I can definitely understand the Monopoly being a US game. As an adult, I've never really liked it as it is highly unfair and players get excluded too early in the game. But y'know... that's kind of the point of the game's designers.

Regarding D&D, I haven't really played AL games. But at least for me, a TTRPG needs a certain amount of RP to be worthwile. Otherwise, I could just turn on my computer and play Divinity or any other story-based tactical game. These tend to be more balanced, less RNG-heavy and have flashier graphics.

Not that I don't like strategy (I still love 4e for its tactical combat) or doing combat per se, but generally speaking combat is just the laziest solution to solve problems. You disagree over something? Just smash its skull! There, it doesn't disagree anymore!

Games that are just combat after combat after combat don't satisfy me.

If you were one of my players I would at least try to mix it up. As long as you're happy with hulk smash on occasion. I don't tend to run megadungeons, but combat is often in there

Some games are very unfair online especially the more cut throat ones with pvp. We had a 3 month war that dragged in a good chunk of the server with hundreds of people each night.

Wouldn't do it again. Years ago I bought my wife Crash Team Racing on the PS1. Last week she bought herself Crash Team Racing on the Switch. More things change huh.

S'mon

Legend
I really think it was the latter. The notion of bringing "thespianism" to use a phrase, largely starts with Vampire. At least, that's around the time where a lot of that sort of "improv theater" approach to gaming started really rolling. ((Yes, I KNOW I'm painting with a really, really broad brush there. Not making a judgement, but, just a sort of general thought))

Wow, I had no idea that single sex schooling was so popular in English speaking countries. I honestly didn't know. I mean, in the US and Canada, single sex schools are pretty rare and have been since before I was born (in the 70's for anyone keeping score). I really had no idea.

My son is at a single sex Comprehensive right now!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yes, when I see folks arguing that Farmville, etc. are not worthy of being counted as video games then it feels like the same gatekeeping as in the world of rpgs. Where I have seen men who feel that unless there is crunch, it does not count. And that arriving from the improvisational theatre end is not as worthy as arriving from the wargaming end. For me, both count in rpg-land.
After playing it for a while I decided that farmville wasn't a game, it was a second job. Damn that that required a lot of work to keep going.

Sacrosanct

Legend

Farmville is a video game, but it's not what really fits as to calling someone who only plays farmville a "gamer" in the context of what a gamer is considered. I mean, technically it is, but it's like how someone who races their friends on a go cart track isn't really a race car driver, even though it technically fits the literal description.

Go up to any gamer and tell them "I"m a gamer too, I play farmville." and see the reaction. I imagine it's the same as if I went up to a race car driver and said I was a race car driver because I raced go carts. Or me saying I'm a cook because I make hot dogs. I certainly know that the people I know who only occasionally play farmville, or candy crush, do not consider themselves gamers in the sense how we define that word.

Remove ads

Remove ads