POLL: What edition of D&D did you most recently play/run?

READ INSTRUCTIONS- Within the past year, the version of D&D I have played/run most recently is:

• OD&D

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 1e (AD&D)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 2e

• 3e

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • 4e

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • 5e

Votes: 100 79.4%
  • BECMI

• I have not run or played D&D within the past year.

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Poll closed .

Jer

Legend
Supporter
When I saw this poll, I thought "well, the answer is going to be 5e overwhelmingly, because that's what most people talk about around here." And lo and behold, that seems to be the case. I am a bit surprised at the small number of 2e folks given the love it seems to get in comments, but that may be because of the lack of widely played 2e clones - the retroclone folks have done a lot with B/X and with 1e AD&D, but I would guess that folks answering 2e I would bet are actually playing 2e and not using a clone of some kind. (it would be interesting to see a version of this question where the clones were specifically broken out to see who is still playing straight-up with the old rulebooks and who is using OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord or whatever).

Sacrosanct

Legend
3e, which brought the game back to popularity, has zero votes. I can only assume it's because PF is basically 3e but better, and PF isn't allowed to be voted on.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
3e, which brought the game back to popularity, has zero votes. I can only assume it's because PF is basically 3e but better, and PF isn't allowed to be voted on.

I mean, that would be my guess. If the single biggest retroclone for 3e is disallowed by the rules of the poll, so it's unsurprising to see 3e with a goose egg right now.

And I wouldn't say PF is 3e but "better" - because better is subjective. It's 3e that is being actively supported, which is important for some folks.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I mean, that would be my guess. If the single biggest retroclone for 3e is disallowed by the rules of the poll, so it's unsurprising to see 3e with a goose egg right now.

And I wouldn't say PF is 3e but "better" - because better is subjective. It's 3e that is being actively supported, which is important for some folks.

I mean, I guess parts of that could be subjective, but I think it's also an objective claim to make because we can measure the reactions of players and rules revisions of both. For example, we know they are essentially the same rule system. Did PF have to do a .5 revision shortly after publishing? Does PF have a lot of complaints about CODzilla, and Angel summoner vs BMX biker?

PF had the advantage of letting 3e go through all the mistakes, then launched from there. So it's fair to say it's objectively better than 3e. If it has all of the good things, but not nearly as many of the bad things, it's better, right?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I mean, I guess parts of that could be subjective, but I think it's also an objective claim to make because we can measure the reactions of players and rules revisions of both. For example, we know they are essentially the same rule system. Did PF have to do a .5 revision shortly after publishing? Does PF have a lot of complaints about CODzilla, and Angel summoner vs BMX biker?

PF had the advantage of letting 3e go through all the mistakes, then launched from there. So it's fair to say it's objectively better than 3e. If it has all of the good things, but not nearly as many of the bad things, it's better, right?
I don't disagree with your overall point (PF is overall much better than 3.5), but it does have the same "Angel Summoner vs BXM biker" issues; the people who play Pathfinder simply ignore it or embrace it and play Angel Summoners. :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't disagree with your overall point (PF is overall much better than 3.5), but it does have the same "Angel Summoner vs BXM biker" issues; the people who play Pathfinder simply ignore it or embrace it and play Angel Summoners. :)
That's "BMX Bandit," he's the star of the show, so get it right...

;)

But, yeah, just "pick a Tier and everyone stick with it" works. So does E6.

How are you finding Basic Fantasy?

I love it. I actually prefer it to 5E, and I would run it exclusively if I didn't have a lot of people who want to play 5E.

It is basically a clone of B/X but using base to hit and ascending armor class as well as separate race and class (with limitations - forex. no dwarf magic users).

The change from to hit tables makes it a little more intuitive for newer players but it is still completely compatible with all the material out there for Basic, OD&D and AD&D (I can just flip AC on the fly and to hit is just +HD).

There are some other minor differences in spells and some rules between it and B/X, but they aren't deal breakers for me.

BFRPG is also produced as an open source RPG and you can it free as a PDF and you can buy the rule book for $5 on Amazon. The website has tons of resources to expand on the game with the central conceit that all additional rules beyond the core book are optional.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/

Richards

Legend
3.5 in three different campaigns: one that I DM, one that my son DMs, and a new summer campaign I DM for the purpose of introducing a family of six to D&D: a mother, father, grandmother, and three kids (plus my 12-year-old nephew who enjoyed being the player with the only prior experience). I have so much 3.5 material that I don't envision ever needing to upgrade to another version and our players enjoy it.

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases