D&D General What are your Pedantic Complaints about D&D?

Jonathan Tweet

Adventurer
How does a pre-industrial society hang together with super-powerful individuals and groups wandering the land at will, especially as these people rocket up in personal power in just a few years?

S'mon

Legend
How does a pre-industrial society hang together with super-powerful individuals and groups wandering the land at will, especially as these people rocket up in personal power in just a few years?

The idea of functioning D&D societies as the default setting is just a 3e trope. IMCs the OD&D Wilderlands or 4e Points of Light/Nerath are more typical - there basically is no functioning society, it's more Fallout than Greyhawk.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
I'm not sure if this is a pedantic complaint or a complaint about where the rules need to be read pedantically to work. (Worrying about that distinction, however, seems suitably pedantic.) Without further ado...

Crawford has confirmed in a rules article that the commonly used rules phrase "melee weapon attack" refers to "melee attacks with a weapon" rather than "attacks with melee weapons". Furthermore, he stated that we can know this was the intended meaning due to the lack of a hypen between "melee" and "weapon".

While Crawford is entirely correct regarding the rules for hyphenating compound adjectives, I think it was a frustrating mistake to write the game rule in a way where its meaning depends on the omission of the hyphen. Not only that, but because the rules for hyphenating compound adjectives are often ignored in casual writing (which 5e purports to be), even readers familiar with the hyphenation rules have no way of knowing if the omission of the hyphen was purposeful.

It would have been much clearer to just write "melee attack with a weapon" everywhere in the rules that they wrote "melee weapon attack".

Yardiff

Adventurer
My thought was that it was dangerous to do so. Perhaps I'm wrong on this. I will keep it a complaint, but maybe I should adjust my rulings on this, going forward.

My largest complaint is that there are already so many ways to circumvent the threat of death in 5e that making potion administration so easy just adds to it.

Read the 80's novels Guardians of the Flame, in those books potions were poured on to a wound or drank.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It would have been much clearer to just write "melee attack with a weapon" everywhere in the rules that they wrote "melee weapon attack".

I'm trying to figure out the circumstances where the difference would matter - or why Crawford got this question in the first place. (Clicking the link gave no context, just the answer).

Is someone wondering whether whacking a monster with their longbow counts as a "melee weapon attack"? I don't even get why this question would come up...

ETA: I know this is the thread for pedantry, and this is pedantry and so it's appropriate. But the fact that Crawford got asked this question just blows my mind - I just have to know why it matters!

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Chase rules, really all non-simultaneous actions/movement.
Character A runs away and hides as character B stands and watches.
A horse chase where horse A runs 100 feet away from the other moving horse, then B runs to catch up, etc. (and the weird dino race rules in Tomb of Annhilation).

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm trying to figure out the circumstances where the difference would matter - or why Crawford got this question in the first place. ETA: I know this is the thread for pedantry, and this is pedantry and so it's appropriate. But the fact that Crawford got asked this question just blows my mind - I just have to know why it matters!
There are melee weapons that can be thrown. So there's a very practical distinction between "attack with a melee weapon" or "melee attack with a weapon," as throwing an axe at someone is ranged attack with a melee weapon, but not a melee attack, at all.
Hitting someone with a bowstave is a less common example of the same distinction.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I recently got the Pathfinder Ultimate Equipment book, (which is an amazing comprehensive book btw)
Agreed - it's one of PF's better productions, and largely adaptable to almost any system with a bit of work.

[/I]Another pet peeve of mine: Weapons with garbage stats. I hate it when there's a boatload of weapons in the player's handbook, and half of them no one in their right mind would ever consider taking, because of their poor damage. Then what's the point of having them at all? Do you really want to be the one in the party not pulling their weight, because you thought having a whip as a weapon was cool?
Well, this assumes both players and PCs are looking at things first and foremost in terms of DPR and so forth rather than characterization and flavour...which kinda brings up a peeve of mine, that being players who only view their characters in terms of how much damage they can give out each round.

lowkey13 said:
Assuming D&D, you have the following dice:
d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20.

*If we throw out the 3d6 example, and we assume that D&D doesn't mix dice (no d4+d6 for a weapon), then we get the following possible ranges as a general rule:
1, 1-2, 1-3
d4, 2d4, 3d4
d6 2d6
d8
d10
d12
There's also d5 (easy enough to achieve by either d10/2 or d6 reroll 6s) and multiples thereof; and multiples of d3; so it's not quite as limited as you say.

That said, because you're dealing with small whole numbers it's not very granular and thus a whole lot of different weapons get shoehorned into doing d6 or d8 damage. 1e tried to mitigate this a bit by differentiating weapons vs armour type, and 3e kinda waved at differentiating between slash-pierce-bludgeon; but any such system is going to add lots of complication for, really, not all that much return. So in the end we kinda have to live with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases