D&D General What are your Pedantic Complaints about D&D?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK I will channel my much younger self. Note I now disagree with that guy on almost every point for various reasons. hmmm maybe some are still influencing my thinking

1. Hit points massively increasing? I mean really?
  2. Single attribute based actions = there is nothing that simple?
  3. Classes = carbon copy encouragement for the win
  4. Amnesia magic = nothing at all like legend or myth.
  5. Dungeons why on earth do they exist? then add on the bizarrely varied inhabitants.

Ok doubling your hit points in 1 level still bothers me but that is more an issue with advancement rate seeming really strange not the issue I had before generally speaking.

And 5 still annoys me.

Last edited:

Jonathan Tweet

Adventurer
The idea of functioning D&D societies as the default setting is just a 3e trope. IMCs the OD&D Wilderlands or 4e Points of Light/Nerath are more typical - there basically is no functioning society, it's more Fallout than Greyhawk.

Seems like we agree that we don't see how the societies of Greyhawk or Faerûn would hang together with people like the PCs wandering around.

S'mon

Legend
Seems like we agree that we don't see how the societies of Greyhawk or Faerûn would hang together with people like the PCs wandering around.

Yes, although it is more of a problem with Greyhawk, which has quasi-medieval nations, than FR which could be seen as mostly city states protected by super-powerful individuals.

Remove ads