D&D 5E Double Dash

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Not at our table - we have a simple house rule that your maximum distance traveled on your turn is equal to double your speed. We incorporate it into chase rules and a lot of other house rules we use, so we needed to get rid of the triple-dash effect that only a handful of classes could do. We have other micro-systems in play for increasing your speed if it is important to you, and you can still bonus action dash and move, just the action needs to be for something else.

((In chases, in example, someone with the bonus action dash is given +1d6 on their Chase Roll to represent having an action to spare while running 'full speed', and their speed determines the incremental results of their gains, and reduces the penalty incurred by a loss.))

As far as using skills to augment aspects of movement, I approve 1000%.

Horwath

Legend
I have added a Run action:

Run uses your Action and Bonus action in a round.
You can move 3×your speed, but only in straight line and on non-difficult terrain.

This gives all characters option of having 3×speed per round, but keeps the versatility of Rogues and Monks with their Dash bonus action option.

Xeviat

Hero
It has never occurred to me not to allow it.

It didn't until I had to decide if I wanted to require all fast characters to take 2 levels of rogue, work the bonus action dash into a feat, or something else.

I'm heavy leaning towards not allowing it under a "can't take the same action twice" clause, and to distinguish what cunning action is (multitasking). But, again, that's because I'm going to have athletics checks to sprint, though I haven't worked the math into it. I still have more research to do.

jgsugden

Legend
For a typical rogue, a double dash is 90 feet in a 6 second round. That is the distance from home base to first base in baseball. A slower baseball professional player will beat 5 seconds, a typical professional will get there in 4.2 seconds, and Micky Mantle was rumored to make the distance in just over 3 seconds. From a 'realism' perspective, a lightly encumbered PC should be able to cover 90 feet in 60 seconds. It doesn't break the game, either, so I see no reason to deny it to players.

I have allowed PCs to dash as a bonus action in a straight line by making fairly simple athletics checks. Nothing broke when I did so.

Over a long period of time, that is roughly a 6 minute mile pace. That is also a reasonable athletic performance for an unencumbered PC.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok why not allow it? The pc used both his move, his action, and his bonus action to either run away or get closer. So slow monsters learn to shell and peel the fighter first and fast food is not good for you.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
We use the double-dash.

But for running, D&D is not very good IMO. Everyone has the same base speed with a few exceptions, and even though physical attributes vary drastically, they could all move or run or sprint the exact same. It doesn't model real-life well at all.

You can come up with a complex system that does, but frankly it isn't worth the trouble to implement IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases