• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E Double Dash

Xeviat

Explorer
Quick question: do you allow monks, rogues, and users of expeditious retreat to "double dash" (bonus action dash, action dash, move with their regular speed)? Or do you limit them to only using a given action once per turn?

I suspect most allow for double dashing. It does mean that Rogues and others are much faster than other characters in chases or other things like that. If you limit someone to only using the dash action once per round, then those abilities are more about multitasking (attacking while dashing) rather than inherent speed boosts.

What are your thoughts?

FrogReaver

Explorer
Quick question: do you allow monks, rogues, and users of expeditious retreat to "double dash" (bonus action dash, action dash, move with their regular speed)? Or do you limit them to only using a given action once per turn?

I suspect most allow for double dashing. It does mean that Rogues and others are much faster than other characters in chases or other things like that. If you limit someone to only using the dash action once per round, then those abilities are more about multitasking (attacking while dashing) rather than inherent speed boosts.

What are your thoughts?
Monks already get an inherent speed boost. So they are the fastest dashers.

I let let them double dash. The rules never forbid it and my players seem to enjoy it the few times it comes up.

jaelis

Explorer
I allow it when it comes up, but I don't think it makes much sense. I agree it would be more logical if you could only dash once per round, but eh, it is just a game.

If I ever ran an actual chase scene, I would use the DMG chase rules instead.

iserith

Explorer
Yes on the double-dash. There tends to be a LOT of movement in my games due to terrain, so it comes up quite a bit.

Xeviat

Explorer
I'm thinking about it right now because I'm working on some expanded/defined skill rules. I wanted to make a "sprint" option in Athletics, to allow for characters to actually run. The question of double dashing comes up in what assumptions I'm making for human sprinting speeds.

Slit518

Explorer
This isn't Mario Kart, we don't Double Dash.

I see Dash as a Bonus Action as giving more options in the action economy.

Attack, Move, Dash.

Hide, Move, Dash.

Disarm Trap, Move, Dash.

Spell, Move, Dash.

Saelorn

Explorer
I actually don't allow it, but that's more-or-less a side-effect of an overhaul elsewhere within the rules, which prevents anyone from taking the same action twice in the same turn. I don't see anything inherently wrong with a rogue moving faster than a fighter, all else being equal, but a blanket rule against repeated actions is easier to implement than individual rules against (e.g.) a dragon breathing fire three times on its turn.

the Jester

Legend
Quick question: do you allow monks, rogues, and users of expeditious retreat to "double dash" (bonus action dash, action dash, move with their regular speed)?
Absolutely. It makes for some insanely-mobile characters, but I am okay with that.

Xaelvaen

Explorer
Not at our table - we have a simple house rule that your maximum distance traveled on your turn is equal to double your speed. We incorporate it into chase rules and a lot of other house rules we use, so we needed to get rid of the triple-dash effect that only a handful of classes could do. We have other micro-systems in play for increasing your speed if it is important to you, and you can still bonus action dash and move, just the action needs to be for something else.

((In chases, in example, someone with the bonus action dash is given +1d6 on their Chase Roll to represent having an action to spare while running 'full speed', and their speed determines the incremental results of their gains, and reduces the penalty incurred by a loss.))

As far as using skills to augment aspects of movement, I approve 1000%.

Horwath

Explorer
I have added a Run action:

Run uses your Action and Bonus action in a round.
You can move 3×your speed, but only in straight line and on non-difficult terrain.

This gives all characters option of having 3×speed per round, but keeps the versatility of Rogues and Monks with their Dash bonus action option.

Xeviat

Explorer
It has never occurred to me not to allow it.
It didn't until I had to decide if I wanted to require all fast characters to take 2 levels of rogue, work the bonus action dash into a feat, or something else.

I'm heavy leaning towards not allowing it under a "can't take the same action twice" clause, and to distinguish what cunning action is (multitasking). But, again, that's because I'm going to have athletics checks to sprint, though I haven't worked the math into it. I still have more research to do.

jgsugden

Explorer
For a typical rogue, a double dash is 90 feet in a 6 second round. That is the distance from home base to first base in baseball. A slower baseball professional player will beat 5 seconds, a typical professional will get there in 4.2 seconds, and Micky Mantle was rumored to make the distance in just over 3 seconds. From a 'realism' perspective, a lightly encumbered PC should be able to cover 90 feet in 60 seconds. It doesn't break the game, either, so I see no reason to deny it to players.

I have allowed PCs to dash as a bonus action in a straight line by making fairly simple athletics checks. Nothing broke when I did so.

Over a long period of time, that is roughly a 6 minute mile pace. That is also a reasonable athletic performance for an unencumbered PC.

jasper

Explorer
Ok why not allow it? The pc used both his move, his action, and his bonus action to either run away or get closer. So slow monsters learn to shell and peel the fighter first and fast food is not good for you.

dnd4vr

Explorer
We use the double-dash.

But for running, D&D is not very good IMO. Everyone has the same base speed with a few exceptions, and even though physical attributes vary drastically, they could all move or run or sprint the exact same. It doesn't model real-life well at all.

You can come up with a complex system that does, but frankly it isn't worth the trouble to implement IMO.

Advertisement