We're Finally Mainstream! Now What?

ICv2's recent announcement that hobby games have become "mainstream" heralds a new age for role-playing games. How did this happen and why should gamers care?

ICv2's recent announcement that hobby games have become "mainstream" heralds a new age for role-playing games. How did this happen and why should gamers care?
[h=3]How Did We Get Here?[/h]Role-playing games have steadily been increasing in popularity and media attention. Several factors are likely at play, ranging from older players returning to the hobby (as evidenced by the Old School Renaissance ), to an increased media awareness of role-playing games (Stranger Things being one example), to a wave of nostalgia as 40-somethings now have enough buying power to introduce their kids to the hobby.

The rise of video and podcasting has also introduced gaming to a much larger population on the Internet. Conventions are more popular than ever before -- to the point that they have difficulty keeping up with the demand. Wizards of the Coast has released a new Open Game License and a distribution platform via DM's Guild. It helps that Dungeons & Dragons has also broadened its audience, with millennials (ages 25 to 34) the largest group, followed closely ages 35 to 44 and 18 to 24 — 30% of which are female.
[h=3]Six Million an Hour?[/h]According to WOTC, six million people are playing D&D at any given hour. UPDATE: I asked Nathan Stewart to clarify this number. This was his response:

There was more context given, wasn't supposed to mean every hour, but yes the aggregate was videogames/boardgames/TRPG (not novels)

The "per hour" seems to be egregious, and is inclusive of D&D-branded video games and board games. Ethan Gilsdorf, author of Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks, said :

For those in the know, for those who follow popular culture, the game has gained a kind of legendary status. It's almost like a badge of honor. People who used to play D&D in the 70s, 80s, and 90s are now reaping the benefits.

The data backs up the RPG renaissance, as per ICv2:

The number of people playing hobby games, the number of people shopping at game stores, the number of stores, and exposure of hobby games at major retailers were all up in 2016, reflecting the now-mainstream nature of the hobby.

Mike Mearls, senior manager of D&D research and design, confirmed ICv2's findings:
We're seeing a bigger audience than we've seen in a very long time—in decades. It's so easy to cast this idea that technology will be the death of D&D, but it's been really interesting to see how that has been absolutely incorrect.
[h=3]Will the Bubble Burst?[/h]Rob Salkowitz at ICv2 predicts that mainstream geek culture will affect other industries, as they take notes on what works for geek fans and apply it to other forms of fandom like sports :

It’s been clear for a while that the fan convention template that we’ve known since the 1960s is fraying at the edges as geek culture becomes mainstream consumer culture. On one hand, this means outside players who smell the money are making their play for the fan audience, with increasingly mixed results. But on the other, it means that longtime convention organizers within the space are looking to push their shows into neighboring territory.

Salkowitz calls this "peak geek" and it has consequences beyond geek circles:

The danger is that, even with a fresh infusion of smart nerds in strategic spots, mainstream media is still more liable than their niche counterparts to credit know-nothings on an equal basis with informed sources, misinterpret nuances, impose faulty narrative frameworks and just plain get stuff wrong when it comes to covering the business of pop culture--especially if they are taking their cues from some of the more excitable fever swamps of online fandom. The result is a much more treacherous environment for the big companies and big name creators unaccustomed to attention from these quarters.

For tabletop games, the primary concern is that eight straight years of growth is unsustainable:

For 2017, there’s widespread concern that the number of releases is going to be greater than the market can support. "I think we're facing some challenges coming into the new year, just on the basis of the breadth of releases," one distributor told us.

But for the moment, things have never looked better for gaming. As more and more media launches -- from videos to streaming to podcasts to television shows to movies -- geek culture will become so normalized that it may well lose some of its identity. Chris Perkins, principal D&D designer, summed up the current state of affairs:

Geek culture and nerd culture is now just culture.

Whether or not that is a good or bad thing will be determined by us.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to
http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.
SaveSave

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Hussar

Legend
I find it amusing for you to accuse me of marginalising a DnD fan (who, I dont know but someone somewhere I guess) only to turn around and try to marginalise me in return. Mmm I love the taste of irony.

What is "Society" except a collection of individuals? Individuals act to change society otherwise we would still have one bus for white people and one bus for not white people. You can tell me that I dont speak for you but I will still be trying to get one integrated bus whether you approve or not.

Which would be fine if you actually were trying to get one integrated bus, but you're not. You're insisting that only tabletop players count when talking about the hobby. That your definition - "only table top role-players are part of this hobby" is the definition of the hobby and is about as exclusionary as it can be.

Which, to be fair, so long as we accept your definition of the hobby is true on its face. To be a table top roleplaying hobbyist, one needs to play a tabletop role playing game. Seems pretty straight forward. But, to me, the hobby is larger than that. People who play Lords of Waterdeep are part of the D&D family, AFAIC. Someone who played DDM was also part of the hobby. Someone whose experience with D&D was exclusively NWN or Baldur's Gate is also part of the D&D family.

I reject [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION]'s doom and gloom predictions that "it won't be our hobby". It might not be his hobby. Fair enough. That's Celebrim's problem, not mine. I'm simply not so tied into the idea that the hobby must be only table top role players and the only way we can be mainstream is if table top role players are so common that we are considered mainstream. The hobby, to me, is far larger, and always has been, than simply table top role players.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Which would be fine if you actually were trying to get one integrated bus, but you're not. You're insisting that only tabletop players count when talking about the hobby. That your definition - "only table top role-players are part of this hobby" is the definition of the hobby and is about as exclusionary as it can be.

Which, to be fair, so long as we accept your definition of the hobby is true on its face. To be a table top roleplaying hobbyist, one needs to play a tabletop role playing game. Seems pretty straight forward. But, to me, the hobby is larger than that. People who play Lords of Waterdeep are part of the D&D family, AFAIC. Someone who played DDM was also part of the hobby. Someone whose experience with D&D was exclusively NWN or Baldur's Gate is also part of the D&D family.

It is amusing to me to see some of the posters arguing in favour of your extended DnD family are also the same people who argued against classifying things like Pathfinder and Castles and Crusades etc as being part of the DnD family. I dont really grok the idea of a dude in a DnD T-Shirt with a DnD Lunchbox being more of a DnD player then a Dudette playing Pathfinder. But that is Internet logic for you.

I reject [MENTION=4937]Celebrim[/MENTION]'s doom and gloom predictions that "it won't be our hobby". It might not be his hobby. Fair enough. That's Celebrim's problem, not mine. I'm simply not so tied into the idea that the hobby must be only table top role players and the only way we can be mainstream is if table top role players are so common that we are considered mainstream. The hobby, to me, is far larger, and always has been, than simply table top role players.

For some reason the idea of a change in the hobby brings to mind the sex scene in Demolition Man. I wonder if it would be worth a 30 year Cryo freeze just to find out what happens to the hobby? It could be worth it for the Hover Boards alone.

[MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION],
I simply can't follow your arguments. It seems like you are taking comments and arguments from anyone that doesn't side with you as being all in one pool, or something. But anyways, it doesn't matter.

Labels are only as good as people are willing to agree upon them and use them consistantly. Which isn't happening here.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
@Shasarak,
I simply can't follow your arguments. It seems like you are taking comments and arguments from anyone that doesn't side with you as being all in one pool, or something. But anyways, it doesn't matter.

If you mean taking comments from you specifically then yes one pool.

Labels are only as good as people are willing to agree upon them and use them consistantly. Which isn't happening here.

When the original comments are from someone who is not even trying to clarify what they are talking about (6 million people playing DnD every hour! DnD is Mainstream!) then the conversation is probably going as well as can be expected.

Hussar

Legend
It is amusing to me to see some of the posters arguing in favour of your extended DnD family are also the same people who argued against classifying things like Pathfinder and Castles and Crusades etc as being part of the DnD family. I dont really grok the idea of a dude in a DnD T-Shirt with a DnD Lunchbox being more of a DnD player then a Dudette playing Pathfinder. But that is Internet logic for you.

Nice way to misquote. It was never that Pathfinder or C&C aren't part of the D&D family. They just aren't D&D. And in the context of the discussion we were having, it was very, very clear that I was specifically talking about D&D published by WotC.

But, hey, feel free to bring up months old arguments that you lost. Keep tilting that windmill.

For some reason the idea of a change in the hobby brings to mind the sex scene in Demolition Man. I wonder if it would be worth a 30 year Cryo freeze just to find out what happens to the hobby? It could be worth it for the Hover Boards alone.

LOL. Agreed.

But, yeah, when people start dragging up old news like this, it's time for me to bow out. I've said my bit and you all are free to agree or disagree. Getting dragged down back into a months old argument just for the sake of ad hominem attacks just isn't my cup of tea.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Nice way to misquote. It was never that Pathfinder or C&C aren't part of the D&D family. They just aren't D&D. And in the context of the discussion we were having, it was very, very clear that I was specifically talking about D&D published by WotC.

I see, so we should be open, caring and supportive of anything published specifically by WotC.

That seems like a very very narrow section of the Gaming Hobby.

Mercule

Adventurer
No you don't. You get to define your hobby. You don't get to define my hobby. You don't get to define anything except for yourself.
Fine, then. Where may I find the definition of my hobby?

I'm indifferent to video games. I enjoy board games, especially 4X games and big strategy games (Mega Civilization). I loathe MMOs with all my being -- but only for me, I have no ill will towards those who play them. What I really love to do is to sit down at a table and play a game that uses books titled "Player's Handbook", "Dungeon Master's Guide", and "Monster Manual". While that game is my favorite, I also enjoy World of Darkness, Fate, and Fantasy Hero almost as much. Although most of the time we sit at a table, I've also enjoyed playing those games by email or message board.

Now, I would have said that my hobby was roleplaying games and that my specific choice of vehicle for that was the Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying game. Clearly, I was mistaken. Please, help me out because I'd really like to be able to ask how many people share the same passion I do.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Where may I find the definition of my hobby?
TTRPGing is a hobby, so's MMOs, CCGs, Boardgames, etc... if you're a hobbyist, anyway, because a game is a game and you can play it for fun, but a hobby is a bit more serious - the difference is attitude. ICv2 arbitrarily lumps 5 categories together as 'hobby games' - maybe because, traditionally, they've been driven more by the serious hobbyists than the casual players? IDK, for whatever reason.

The D&D IP, OTOH, spans a couple of those categories, and different media, as well. D&D is a TTTRPG, it's in one of those categories. Lords of Waterdeep is a boardgame, it's in a different, much larger and faster-growing of the categories, and it's D&D IP. There have been D&D novels for decades, there were a couple of terrible D&D movies.

But, D&D has had mainstream name recognition since the Satanist scares of the 80s, thanks to BADD, Jack Chick, Michigan State steam tunnels, and Mazes & Monsters.

Fine, then. Where may I find the definition of my hobby?...

Do you people actually not read what is written? I said, and I quote, "You get to define your hobby."

It's like talking to a brick wall. Or someone who is so uptight about their view they actually refuse to read and comprehend what is written. You actually quoted what I said and then implied I didn't say it!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads