D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
Something like the last. I think it's been a thing for green dragons that they use mists and fogs near their lairs and in combat. Not a neccesity and can be added in a section on affecting the environment, like some monsters do (forget the exact term). Not a biggie.

Well they sill do have it with their Lair Actions and I had intended to give a version of one of each dragon's Lair Actions as a Legendary Action (like I did for the red). For the green, however, I added change shape and that didn't leave me room fog. I also had a damage issue and needed and attack that did a little damage to boost DPR, but didn't make it an obvious choice over the tail attack. I had fog in there for the longest time and cut it for space at the end. I could add it back if I drop change shape.

Something like what you added to Cyan Bloodbane when I suggested the same. Some sort of mind blank and only being detectable by truesight (Cyan's being stronger). It depends n how you envision the change shape being used. If for intrigue, the dragon must have someway to avoid the most basic o fdetections from lvl 16+ parties.

I remember having Cyan's illusions being harder to detect, but I don't think of change shape as an illusion. However, protection from detect thoughts would be useful. That being said, i am not thinking that this is an ability that has to escape the attention of a lvl 16+ party. At this time I am not worried about it. In fact, I have been thinking about dropping it all together to get other interesting abilties.

I was referring to change shape. If hp and hd stays the same, the dragon should also retain its con score in addition to int, wis and cha.

OK, that is an interesting thought. However, again I just copied it straight from the metallic dragons, so I am not planning on changing it.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Great Wyrm and Wyrm Red Dragon Alphas to the Dragons section. I also revised the Ancient, and Elder slightly to accommodate some of the revisions I developed with the Wyrms.

Acidic blood has the same threshold for all dragons.
Vile resolve is missing words.

And HEY! Are you designing red dragons more powerful than Ashardalon?! Blasphemy!

dave2008

Legend
Acidic blood has the same threshold for all dragons.
Vile resolve is missing words.

Corrected and will be uploaded shortly. Thank you for the editorial eye.

And HEY! Are you designing red dragons more powerful than Ashardalon?! Blasphemy!

Well, if I remember correctly Ash is not a great wyrm, so I guess it was bond to happen. That being said, Ash would be more powerful than the standard dragon of his age category. I'll get back to him at some point.

Ashy was the most powerful red dragon possible in 3E. A great wyrm. On top of that, he had the half-fiend template, making him a nasty package indeed.
In 4E, he was an ancient red dragon, but brute instead of soldier.

dave2008

Legend
Ashy was the most powerful red dragon possible in 3E. A great wyrm. On top of that, he had the half-fiend template, making him a nasty package indeed.
In 4E, he was an ancient red dragon, but brute instead of soldier.

I new he was an ancient brute in 4e, but I thought he was only ancient or a wyrm in 3e -I guess I was wrong! If I make him again I would take the great wyrm hear and beef him up a bit, maybe CR 31 or 32?

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Yuan-Ti Abomination Royal Guard to the Monstrosities section. [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] sent me some great yuan-ti variants a while back and I thought I had posted this then. But I just notice I forgot to post it. I still need to get back to the rest of the yuan-ti. Thank you again Zardnaar!

Remove ads