D&D 5E Looking for Lore - Tritons race

Flareanthia

First Post
Hello again everyone! I see I will be using this awesome site more and more, as each of my questions is being answered so well by all of you. As ever, thank you so much!!! :D

My question this time, is this: What can you tell me about the race that got added in officially for 5e with the release of Volo's Guide to Monsters, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]the Tritons. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Blue-skinned green-haired amphibians who are more arrogant than elves! They are also considered staunch champions, haughty nobles and strangers to the surface, according to Volo's guide on the race, as well as a quote at the start which sites [/FONT]sahuagin as one of their enemies (which to a newcomer to D&D such as myself sounds pretty freakin' strange, considering how similar the two creatures seem xD ).

Asside from the above however, I am finding it rather difficult finding anything else on the Triton race, that is canon in the D&D universe. Oh there are homebrews on merfolk sure, and apparently Tritons have been featured as a race in previous renditions of D&D as well? But from what little I've searched I can't find much else about the Tritons that is concrete. So far playing my Triton has been loads of fun! And though I have a backstory for him I feel like it is a little bit lacking, my backstory and RP of this character would get better if I knew more about the race, I'm sure! :D

So, what do you know about the Tritons? Anything from the D&D handbooks or other books is more than welcome as an answer, so long as it is "official", with the exception of what's in Volo's guide since I've already gone over that a good few times :3

Thanks again~
I look forward to learning more about this race!

If you can track down a copy of the old 2e Sea of Fallen Stars accessory for the Forgotten Realms, it contains a huge amount of information concerning the culture and history of undersea races in Faerun (concentrating on those living in the Sea of Fallen Stars itself of course), including tritons. Unfortunately, unlike other products on the Inner Sea, it doesn't appear to be on the DMs Guild yet....

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I see Tritons as the equivalent of the Aaracokra of the elemental plane of water; good-aligned creatures defending the interests of their homeplane in the prime material plane. You could try reading on the elemental plane of water to get a feeling of where this race is from, what are its racial ennemies, the life of the inhabitants and extrapolate from there.

Flareanthia

First Post
Oh I see @Demetrios1453 perfect, thank you. I will check and see! Hopefully 2e will prove a little bit insightful :3

@vincegetorix yeah, Tritons are actually good aligned from what I understand, most usually lawful good according to Volo though my Triton is a neutral good, because he was banished from his home/protectorate (Thus I named him Exoristos, which is a Greek word meaning outcast or banished. The reason I did this is because I figured "Hey, Greek is old, maybe Primordial could sound kinda like Greek would!" XD ) And Tritons ARE originally from the plane of water, but... That was apparently a long time ago, meaning that most if not all Tritons in the realm now would have never been there. Tritons would know of the plane of water, probably, but have lived in the sea their whole lives. Heck, there is a whole part of volo's guide talking about how they don't know anything of the surface, I imagine this would also mean they don't know much of creatures from the surface or sea creatures that never go too deep? 'XD I mean I can fluff some stuff as pertaining to their culture, I've looked up a WHOLE load of animal facts for how Tritons would function (certain frogs have a way to keep themselves from freezing and breathe underwater through their skin, it makes sense as to why Tritons are resistant to cold and why they can breathe on both land AND in water!) but I was hoping to find out what the writers for D&D intended for the race of Tritons. But heck, if nothing else seems to be cropping up, I guess I'll just HAVE to look into the water plane for enemies and history! There is some more information on the plane of water than there is on Tritons I'd wager. :D

@Twiggly the Gnome really?? I shall be checking that out then also!! :D

Remove ads