D&D 5E No stat minima for spells?

Quartz

Hero
Have I again missed something, or are there no longer any stat minima for spellcasting? No need to a stat of 19 to cast a 9th level spell, for instance?

biotech66

Explorer
I'm kind of ok with this. If you want a Wizzaard who casts spells, but can't spell his own name. So, every spell he casts is a gamble at best-then the Int 6 wizard might be fun to play! Will piss of the party, but might be fun to play....

Dausuul

Legend
I'm kind of ok with this. If you want a Wizzaard who casts spells, but can't spell his own name. So, every spell he casts is a gamble at best-then the Int 6 wizard might be fun to play! Will piss of the party, but might be fun to play....
Your first two levels as an Int 6 wizard will really suck though.

fba827

Adventurer
While there is no minimum, casting high level spells without
a high spell casting stat means your spell will be (relatively)
easy to save against compared to other combatants of the
same level who have higher spell casting stat.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Yep, this is as intended. Also note that a low Int wizard can't multiclass, either. He's too busy practising his spell slinging.

ccooke

Adventurer
Sleep.
Magic Missile.
Mage Armour.
False Life.

... I think I need to play an Int 6 Mountain Dwarf Wizard with 17 STR who claims his warhammer is a cantrip.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Sleep.
Magic Missile.
Mage Armour.
False Life.

... I think I need to play an Int 6 Mountain Dwarf Wizard with 17 STR who claims his warhammer is a cantrip.

The benefits of mage armour do not stack with armour proficiency, right? So the build is equally effective with half-orcs!

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Sleep.
Magic Missile.
Mage Armour.
False Life.

Your Dwarf wizard can now wear half plate. Who needs mage armor!

Remove ads